project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-11-01, 19:23   #21
Celestial1
Default Re: 3D Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
Thats retarded. It isn't needed period, just have it as it was in 0.9 without the stupid blur, but still has the zoom.
Or maybe, you could realize that PLACEHOLDER means that it's NOT FINAL and will be CHANGED SOON. You don't even know how the blurred edges are being done. For all the both of us know, it's automatically applied to any weapon that has a zoom.

But regardless, it's not going to stay that way for long, and will be replaced with a version with an actual scope, so there's no reason to get mad about it.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 06:05   #22
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
for long
'Soon' can mean anywhere from tomorrow to a year from now, we don't know when the PKP is coming nor if a scope is even going to come for it. IIRC regular Russian troops aren't issued with it as of yet.

I'm not 'mad' about it, its just so weird and unrealistic seeing this small circle of unblurred screen when using it.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 06:26   #23
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

Both new PKM and PKP missed 0.95 by a hair, so the chances of you seeing it next content patch are good.

Personal Folio - http://www.studioash.net
Chuc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 14:13   #24
Dirty Berd

The blur doesn't really matter too much to me, I think it would be nice if the blur would disappear when you moved so you could get a better view of the surroundings and then switch back to blur when you were stationary and concentrating on a target. Is there a particular reason why the field of view within the scope is restricted? is it a limitation within the BF2 engine?
Dirty Berd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 14:18   #25
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

The field of view was significantly reduced from what it was like previously because if you were to look through an optic, the magnification zooms in a particular section depending on how large the optic is, and hence your field of view is reduced. Some optics models actually specify the radius of view is, like for example the ACOG TA31RCO has a FOV of 7 degrees while higher powered optics have much smaller FOVs of 2-3 degrees, which is roughly represented in-game with the 3D scope.

Old 2010-11-02, 14:33   #26
Dirty Berd

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Chuc View Post
The field of view was significantly reduced from what it was like previously because if you were to look through an optic, the magnification zooms in a particular section depending on how large the optic is, and hence your field of view is reduced. Some optics models actually specify the radius of view is, like for example the ACOG TA31RCO has a FOV of 7 degrees while higher powered optics have much smaller FOVs of 2-3 degrees, which is roughly represented in-game with the 3D scope.
I'm talking about the edges of the scope, the inside field of view. The scope is very thick and the field of view is restricted.
Old 2010-11-03, 06:55   #27
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

That's what I'm talking about, the internal view of the ACOG for example is 7 degrees, which is quite restrictive, when compared to what it was like in 0.91 (closer to 14 degrees, nearly double).

Old 2010-11-03, 20:02   #28
Dirty Berd

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Chuc View Post
That's what I'm talking about, the internal view of the ACOG for example is 7 degrees, which is quite restrictive, when compared to what it was like in 0.91 (closer to 14 degrees, nearly double).
Can you guys make a scope look like this picture?

Rather than this? The view through the current scope is limited compared to the first one. I just needed to know if there is some type of game engine limitation that doesn't allow you to remove the extra black area within the scope.
Old 2010-11-03, 20:27   #29
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Berd View Post
The view through the current scope is limited compared to the first one. I just needed to know if there is some type of game engine limitation that doesn't allow you to remove the extra black area within the scope.
I think this is because of the perspective. Since you are basically looking through a 3D model of a pipe (the scope, which doesnt magnify the image on itself ingame) the end of it will appear smaller than the front where youre eye is because of the perspective. Now in real life only the image inside the scope would be magnified, and as such fill up the whole circle, but because in PR this cant be done, instead the whole screen is magnified (and blurred outside the scope image). This leaves the black edges. A way to fix it would be to change the models of the scopes to be wider on the far end so that you wouldnt see the inside of it. This would look awkward while not looking through the scope though . Maybe there's another way to fix it though, i don't know.
Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 20:29   #30
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Berd View Post
Can you guys make a scope look like this picture?

Rather than this? The view through the current scope is limited compared to the first one. I just needed to know if there is some type of game engine limitation that doesn't allow you to remove the extra black area within the scope.
Entirely possible, but that would defeat the whole purpose of implementing a limited internal FOV.

Tags
scopes