project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
08 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-10-30, 18:31   #1
Naruto-kun
Default 3D Scopes

Yay or Nay?

I like them alot! and with the DoF Shader it makes it more awesome and makes up for the fact that the whole screen is zoomed in

Even though why aren't there any games out there that can reproduce the scope perfectly?
(I mean like having only the scope zoomed in, not the whole screen)

As you see here is a real ACOG scope(high res)
http://galeri.uludagsozluk.com/50/ca...re-2_31196.jpg

and this is a Call of duty scope(not so fully high res)
http://www.gamereplays.org/community...1203745206.jpg
Naruto-kun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 18:45   #2
DenvH
Default Re: 3D Scopes

The new scopes are awesome, although I rarely use them as medic

There is a Half-Life 2 Mod called Insurgency that does it almost perfectly, there is no visual blur, but inside and outside are scaled differently. It's a great mod, although it does not feature vehicle warfare on a scale like PR does. The infantry combat is nice in both Pr and Insurgency, I prefer PR though for it's tactics, teamwork, game-play and overall awesomeness.

Insurgency Marksman Scope view:
DenvH is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 18:48   #3
Smegburt_funkledink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
Even though why aren't there any games out there that can reproduce the scope perfectly?
(I mean like having only the scope zoomed in, not the whole screen)
Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat. (Source Mod)

I think everyone <3's the new 3D scopes.

BLOODY NINJA!

I tried Insurgency a while back and I hate it... The kit system, the sounds, the maps, it's all fairly poor.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 18:55   #4
Hunt3r

I used to play INS mod back in the day. It's a very poor mod, with no teamwork, claustrophobic maps, and is basically CS: S with iron sights, slower movement, and more powerful weapons/accurate.
Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 18:56   #5
Mora

I think its because if you want to do it properly the game needs to render 2 times the screen because there are 2 "zoom" levels that needs to be drawn. But i dont know, it looks a lot better then when the entire screen is zoomed.
Mora is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 18:58   #6
Smegburt_funkledink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mora View Post
But i dont know, it looks a lot better then when the entire screen is zoomed.
Would you agree that PR's new 3D scopes with the blur shader are better than just having the scopes surrounding filled in black as they were before?

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 19:00   #7
Celestial1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggles View Post
I tried Insurgency a while back and I hate it... The kit system, the sounds, the maps, it's all fairly poor.
I thought they kind of lost direction. Though if their objective was to make a realism enhanced, modern warefare themed CounterStrike, I suppose they did a decent job.
It's always been a bit wacky to play, lots of chaos.

Red Orchestra: Ostfront '41-'45 does 3D scopes for their sniper rifles the right way, too.

Neither of the games were really good, though. Red Orchestra was really, really cool and had a lot of interesting stuff, but suffered from a lackluster community, and so there isn't a lot of teamwork in public games...
Last edited by Celestial1; 2010-10-30 at 19:05..
Old 2010-10-30, 19:04   #8
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Unfortunately we are on the BF2 engine which cannot do it the "right way", so this what we have.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 19:18   #9
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggles View Post
Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat. (Source Mod)

I think everyone <3's the new 3D scopes.

BLOODY NINJA!

if i was to disagree with you any more than i currently am...the universe would implode and we'd all be with Jesus.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 19:35   #10
Jigsaw

Thread moved to the Feedback section.

OT: I thought that the new scopes would be awesomesauce when they first came in but i'm yet to have any real success with them and I still much prefer iron-sights. I think I just wasn't designed to use scopes.

Massive, massive improvement over the "cardboard with a hole in" that we had before though ofc.
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
scopes