project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2012-12-15, 05:05   #21
007.SirBond
Default Re: Yet another 'Building a new computer' thread! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack112 View Post
He is on budget SirBond. And if you haven't noticed, PRO version costs a bit more than standard V. You obviously have went not budget way. 3770K and 3570K has cost difference as well.

And about 3D - AMD and Nvidia is using two different technologies. AMD - letting 3rd party people do 3D stuff and Nvidia is producing gear for them self and with guarantee that thing will work. Its hard choice - either AMD or Nvidia.

And if your monitor has 3D built in, its hard to tell. Because it heavily depends on it. Also for 3D - 7790 might be too weak and will have to be replaced soon.

And the question about is Nvidia better over AMD and vise versa - there is no answer. Either you are Nvidia or AMD guy or you pick one. Everything depends on your personal experience with both of them.
The one I am using is the first one I've built. I'm still learning. Not sure if ibought the right stuff or put the motherboard properly together.
007.SirBond is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 08:56   #22
Cossack
Supporting Member

Well, if everything works without any major issues, I guess everything is fine. Like if you would put your CPU in LGA 1156 (its older) not 1155, you would notice that your CPU is dead or mobo is dead.

With PC building look at specifications of your components - can they be connected together? And if you use force to plug something in then obviously something is not right.

Only thing you might go wrong with is Super expensive parts put together with cheap parts. Like for example i7 3770K on MSI Z77-GD43 or ASUS P8Z77 LX or cheap Gigabyte board it will do the job, but it will not be able to push maximum from it self. If you try OC on those boards, they will just melt down.

Or another example super duper expensive GPU but rest is cheap - your GPU is bottlenecked.

I could continue all day, but I guess you got the point.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 05:54   #23
007.SirBond

Quote:
Well, if everything works without any major issues, I guess everything is fine. Like if you would put your CPU in LGA 1156 (its older) not 1155, you would notice that your CPU is dead or mobo is dead.

With PC building look at specifications of your components - can they be connected together? And if you use force to plug something in then obviously something is not right.

Only thing you might go wrong with is Super expensive parts put together with cheap parts. Like for example i7 3770K on MSI Z77-GD43 or ASUS P8Z77 LX or cheap Gigabyte board it will do the job, but it will not be able to push maximum from it self. If you try OC on those boards, they will just melt down.

Or another example super duper expensive GPU but rest is cheap - your GPU is bottlenecked.

I could continue all day, but I guess you got the point.
One more question, I used sata 6gbs cables instead of sata 3gbs cables to connect my hdds and cd/dvd/blu ray drive to the motherboard. I only did it cuz I thought it wud be better. Am I right? What is the benefit?
007.SirBond is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 09:33   #24
Cossack
Supporting Member

There is difference according to this: http://www.serialata.org/documents/S...bs-to-6gbs.pdf. But mainly its all about device and interface. Benefit: they saying SATA 3Gb/s cable would reach its edge and would become bottleneck between device and interface, but to feel it in real world scenario is really hard.

Last edited by Cossack; 2012-12-16 at 09:44..
Old 2012-12-25, 11:11   #25
MrTomRobs

OP updated with new gear. New additions include the case, PSU and a new CD/DVD reader/writer, so let me know what you think!

Going back to the graphics cards, can anyone give me a bit more info about the difference between the GTX660 and the GTX660 Ti? I've read up a little bit and it's apparently 20% faster in certain circumstances, but is it worth the extra 60 quid?

On another note, i've started to build my fund up again now, apparently Santa (not STANTA as i nearly put) thinks i've been a good boy this year, so that's an extra 100 quid straight off the bat.
MrTomRobs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 11:46   #26
Cossack
Supporting Member

Yes, it is. Ti version uses same 680 and 670 GPU, but the bus is cut to 192 bits. Totally worth it. Simple 660 is using lower end GPU

Old 2012-12-25, 13:47   #27
MrTomRobs

Many thanks! Just had a look at the 670 after that commend and it's an extra hundred quid above the 660Ti, so the 660Ti shall be my new weapon of choice. OP updated!
MrTomRobs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 16:51   #28
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Yes, it is. Ti version uses same 680 and 670 GPU, but the bus is cut to 192 bits. Totally worth it. Simple 660 is using lower end GPU
Source? How do you know that?
Daniel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 17:56   #29
Cossack
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Source? How do you know that?
Here you go: GeForce 600 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All three use GK104 processor

Old 2013-02-10, 22:28   #30
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Here you go: GeForce 600 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All three use GK104 processor
Nice find!
Daniel is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
building, computer, thread, yay