project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2012-10-30, 14:47   #1
MrTomRobs
Default Yet another 'Building a new computer' thread! Yay!

Hello forum frequenters!

Situation
I've been wanting to build my own computer for a while to learn more about how they work, as well as play some pretty, pretty bad ass stuff and learn how to do various things, such as programming (again), modelling, graphic manipulation etc.

Being the fairly intelligent sod i am, i've been doing some research, and this is a preliminary run down of what i intend to build. It's open to discussion, and as this will be my first build, i'm looking to get some feedback on my choices and what not

Mission objective
The aim for this comp will be to run BF2:PR, BF3, ARMA 3, FarCry3 and possibly a decent flight simulator on full/nearly full graphics, as well as some good future proofing. I'll also be looking to carry on learning some coding languages such as Python and whatever else is relevant once i've gained a basic mastery of it, as well as learning how to do some modelling so i can start to contribute to the community in whatever is needed, so i'll need performance to be able to cope with that.

Means to achieve objective
Case
Corsair Carbide 300R (?59.98GBP)

PSU
Corsair Builder series CXM 600W Modular 80+ Bronze (?59.45GBP)

Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V (?128.87GBP)

CPU
Intel i5-3570k (?172.53GBP)

Ram
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB Sticks) DDR3 @ 1600MHz (?104.99GBP)

GFX Card
Asus NVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti (?198.30GBP)

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (?65.00GBP)

Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x DVD (?18.99GBP)

OS
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit OEM edition (?49GBP)

Reasons:
I've gone for Windows 7 first and foremost because i'm simply not convinced that the extra money for W8 would be worth the new features. I've not got a touch screen monitor (though that may come at a later stage), and I've been using W7 for the past few years and I'm happy with how it runs.

I'm not using a SSD hard drive YET, simply because this is my first build and I want to get the basics down. I may decide in the future to get my self a 64GB one and use that as a boot drive, and use the Cav. Black as my main hard drive for everything else.

As far as I can tell yet, I can find these components from Amazon at a cost of ?853.11 GBP after offers. If you think you can find anything cheaper elsewhere, let me know.

Overview
Being an ever friendly bugger and wanting to help newbies out and stuff, i'll be doing a video blog walking through what i'm doing when i get all the parts together. Early episode plans look a little like this:
  1. Introduction to series and listing of parts, with reasoning behind part selection
  2. Putting together the case, power supply and motherboard, walking through what connects to what, how, where and why
  3. Inserting the HDD and DVD drives, connecting to power and motherboard
  4. Attaching the RAM and graphics cards (and sound card if purchased)
  5. First boot and installing the OS (Windows 7 most likely, i have a copy somewhere around here from my degree)
  6. Configuring the set up, downloading drivers and installing Arma and expansions
  7. From here - The Arma Chronicles (Video diary of my learning curve with Arma and its various mods), The Python Chronicles (video tutorials for learning python and such), The Modellers Chronicles (video diary of me learning modelling skills in a similar vain to the computer build)

Hopefully i'll be able to get a bit of a following online in helping newbies gain a bit of confidence with computers, helping to build their own and learn various skills from a similar view point that they are likely to be in.

So there we are! Bit long winded, and first and foremost a discussion is needed on what you guys think of this build, how realistic is it and what improvements i can make, and then hopefully i can start thinking about doing this blog with the ever loving tender care and support from the reality mod community :P
Last edited by MrTomRobs; 2013-07-04 at 16:33.. Reason: OP updated
Old 2012-10-30, 16:05   #2
Cossack
Supporting Member

Default Re: Yet another 'Building a new computer' thread! Yay!

Sorry for posting this in rush - if you want do modeling - you need powerful PC so it does not take ages to model something.

Also, I suggest chose fairly good mobo not cheap ones because its he base, where you put all components. Good motherboard, more you can get out from components.

And if possible - go with Z77 chipset, its offers very good set of features. So for motherboard list :

Gigabyte ga-z77-ud3h, MSI Z77A-GD65 or ASUS P8Z77-V (not PRO) boards. Pretty good for entry level.
But with cheap mobos - FORGET ABOUT OVERCLOCKING!!! Mobo will just melt down and you need Z77 mid range boards for OC like mentioned above or greater.

But going with i5-2500k or 3570K and putting it on H61 or H77 is a complete waste of money.

For GPU, still modeling and other stuff also for future proof, GTX 650 or 660 (non-Ti) will do much better.

Just this is posted in rush, so I hope I could help out somehow. Have questions, feel free to send me a PM

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:31   #3
MrTomRobs

Thanks for the speedy reply, some good information there, really appreciate it!

Since OP i've done some more research and it looks like the original motherboard wouldn't cut the mustard, as your said, so it looks like i'll be leaning more towards the Asus P8Z77-V, but this again boils down to which processor i'll be using - i was under the impression that the sandybridge wouldn't be able to utilise the Z77's capabilities and therefore i'd need an Ivybridge i-series, so i refer you to the argument in the OP.

As for the GPU, i thought the GT650 was a re-brand of the 640? or have i got that one wrong?

RobsEDIT: Just done a bit of research again - it looks like the IvyBridge actually does have a great deal more to offer than just an improved integrated graphics, such as better use of its own software to work in conjunction with a dedicated graphics card, so it looks like the i3750-K will be what i'm getting.

And on THAT bombshell, i've just found a deal on amazon that has the MoBo (P8Z77-V) with the i3750-K, and 8GB of Corsair RAM as a package for ?324. Does anyone reckon this is a good price to pay for them, or do you reckon i can get them cheaper?

Also, OP updated
Last edited by MrTomRobs; 2012-10-30 at 16:44..
Old 2012-10-30, 19:13   #4
Doc.Pock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack112 View Post
Sorry for posting this in rush - if you want do modeling - you need powerful PC so it does not take ages to model something.
not exactly. the only real hog of gfx and cpu is rendering, which franky, isnt done alot
if you wish to model you need RAM. i find 8GB on W7 on the limit when it coems to hipoly models and maybe having some other programs up so rather see if you could get 12 or 16GB.

Quote:
For GPU, still modeling and other stuff also for future proof, GTX 650 or 660 (non-Ti) will do much better.
as before, not really that important. i have done even hipoly modeling on a 250 GTS with no problems. thou for ARMA III i suggest you get ready and go with a 660
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 20:51   #5
Cossack
Supporting Member

Yeah, doc is right, thanks for correcting me.

But about Sandy and Ivy Bridge - this = Sandy<Ivy because Ivy consumes less energy and is more powerful than Sandy by 20%(?).

And correction - the model name is i5-3570K. K means unlocked multiplier so you could OC without any problems like screwing around with base clock.

About Memories - Corsair is very good and reliable, same as Kingston.

Also don't forget good PSU, atleast 80+ Bronze so you get actual energy not 40% going in heat.

Old 2012-10-30, 22:03   #6
MrTomRobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack112 View Post
Yeah, doc is right, thanks for correcting me.

But about Sandy and Ivy Bridge - this = Sandy<Ivy because Ivy consumes less energy and is more powerful than Sandy by 20%(?).

And correction - the model name is i5-3570K. K means unlocked multiplier so you could OC without any problems like screwing around with base clock.

About Memories - Corsair is very good and reliable, same as Kingston.

Also don't forget good PSU, atleast 80+ Bronze so you get actual energy not 40% going in heat.
Indeed, after a bit of reading up i think ivy does seem to be the way forward, so i think that's what i'll be going for, and the K model is definately the only option, especially if i'll be looking to fool around with some liquid cooling systems waaaaaay later down the line :P

So the corsair vengeance is recommended then?

As for cases and PSUs, can anyone recommend some good ones? Done a bit of totaling up already and straight off the bat (mostly going off amazon because it's the cheapest i can find so far, which is surprising!) i'm looking at around ?550, still with the monitor, speakers, possible sound card and OS to purchase (turns out i didn't have that copy i stashed somewhere after all), so it would be preferable for them to be fairly cheap. The case can be as cheap as you like, so long as it'll mount everything fine, that's all that really matters i think. But the PSU will need a bit more funds i guess.

with regards to the GC, what makes the Ti nVidias not as desireable as the other ones? On a couple of benchmark sites i've seen then look somewhat better than the basic ones?
MrTomRobs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 00:04   #7
Beee8190
Supporting Member

If you getting parts as we speak I believe the 3570K will not disappoint (user of one).
The Mboard should serve you well too ( I have the P8Z77-V-LE )

If you however plan on what parts to get and than shop them in mentioned 3 months time, you might as well consider waiting for all new Haswell architecture, as it should be out sometimes Q1 2013, afaik.

RAM - yes, corsair or kingstone, it does not really matter anymore. ( CL timing is all the same these days and pay ?30 premium over one CL less is just...not productive lol)

PSU - I believe 550W-600W will be the W you looking for.

Many folks underestimate the role of good quality PSU but with that said XFX, Corsair (AX, HX, TX) , seasonic and even antec (earth watts) series earned reputable quality. Bronze will do fine if really on budget but I'd recommend at least silver, as they're usually just few pounds more anyways.

GPU - If you can stretch the budget, forget about the 640 slut and get 7850 or even 7890 as they are very affordable these days. I wouldn't go lower than 550Ti or 660. With arma 3 around the corner, you will be soon disappoint with anything less than mentioned, or so I believe. (well A3 isnt really out yet

HDD-SSD - Caviar black is alright but since 64Gb SSD is about the same cost, I personally would sacrifice the storage and would go for performance instead. 128Gb SSD would cut the mustard

(bigger drive, more nand cells = better performance and less wear of cells, which = longetivity, and 128Gb SSD is better deal as it's, again some 20-30 pounds more than 64Gig)

CASE - I like the bitfenix shinobi white / windowed. It has good rewiews and the right price, here -
HERE and HERE

Amazon is awesome and is where I usually get my HW too.

PPS - Why the hell do spoilers not work for me??
Beee8190 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 10:20   #8
Doc.Pock

HTML Code:
cuz you need to [spoiler="write something"] abcdefg [/spoiler]
for ontopic

Amazon.com: Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case with High Airflow Design (RC-912-KKN1): Electronics
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 21:35   #9
Cossack
Supporting Member

About Nvidia 600 series line-up from worst to very best starting with GTX 650

650<650Ti<660<(Point where really good cards start)660Ti<670<680<690

About cooling (liquid) - Corsair H series (H60, H70, H80 and H100) are really good solutions for all in one sets.

About RAM - Vengeance is pretty good and recommended

Cases - What doc suggested but if that does not suits you Corsair and Fractal Design has pretty good cases. Especially Corsair Carbide series are cheap but practical as well and looks good.

PSU - Dominating companies, in my opinion Seasonic is the best, after that "be quiet!", Corsair, Cooler Master, Thermaltake (everything from best to bottom, in my opinion) 650 or 750 will do.
But dont forget 80+ bronze at least is a must. Also MODULAR PSU is a must because helps with the hassle with cables. You connect what you actually use, not have big pile of wires you never will use and just being the way of airflow.

Your storage - Get Intel or Samsung SSD as boot drive, Windows 7 loads in 7 seconds and yeah, Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB or 1TB drive is a must for every system. Really good drive. But If cant afford SSD, just get Caviar Black.

Old 2012-11-02, 20:37   #10
MrTomRobs

Cheers for all the feedback guys, i really appreciate it all! Been divvying up the wages already and so far i've set aside ?150 towards the fund, hopefully next month i'll be able to put a bit more towards it

So in general, Amazon would be a good place to get my parts? That makes things a damn sight easier! Was thinking i might be getting umpteen invoices from loads of random website distributors! Good to know it's all in once place! So far i've got everything in my wish list.

Been having a look at some of the GX cards, and i think for a bit of decent future proofing, the GTX 660 will be the card of choice.

As for the case, if possible i'll be trying to get a Corsair that has a built in power supply because from what i've read in the depths of the internet, they tend to be of good quality and are a bit cheaper than buying the PSU and case separately. However, not entirely sure, so please let me know about your experiences with combined ones. Also - i'd prefer ones with windows, but also with enough space for me to get my creative side out, i'm gonna be emblazoning the side of it with a stencil Welsh Dragon. Cos, y'know, it's a fucking dragon

Regards to the HDD, i think i'll just use the Cav. Black for the time being just to get the thing up, running and configured, then i'll look towards hybrid drives and dedicated boot drives and what not. Then i'll possibly start looking at some liquid cooling solutions, but this isn't going to be for at least another 9 months or so i don't think.

Lastly, how many of you guys use sound cards? Reckon it would be worth the money straight off the bat, or shall i do the same as the SSD and wait for a bit before i consider getting one?

I think that's the most of it for the actual machine, after this it's onto peripherals like monitors and such. So far, my list of identified parts comprises a motherboard, processor, HDD, Disk Drive, Graphics card and RAM. I'll be identifying cases and the PSU at some point next week.
Last edited by MrTomRobs; 2012-11-02 at 21:07..

Tags
building, computer, thread, yay