project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
03 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2018-06-19, 00:10   #21
Jerry_in_WA
Default Re: Help me please understand how PR works

If you want to play BF2 in SP with more settings, this mod is a bit too hardcore. (though I still like that). as mentioned, the base game leaves much to be desired as it has few settings and small maps.

For what you want, try using the mods "AIX2" and "Forgotten Hope 2". (and download extra community maps, there are hundreds, many are quite good) Also, run your own dedicated server using the server launcher as it has more settings than in the game and you can save maplists/settings in profiles there.
Jerry_in_WA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-19, 08:55   #22
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
there is no way this guy is not trolling
Nah it just sounds like someone who grew up playing CoD. Spawn, run in a straight line to the objective, die, repeat.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-19, 10:54   #23
FlyingR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
Nah it just sounds like someone who grew up playing CoD. Spawn, run in a straight line to the objective, die, repeat.
He is probably 15 and will definitely insult your mother when you kill him.
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-19, 16:48   #24
Veterans-Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
I get this impression, too. Giving the benefit of the doubt that he is not trolling.

If you go play one of those CoD style FPS games, and then jump into PR, the difference is night and day. We don't spend our time in PR running and gunning, and we can go an entire match without a kill depending on the action and our personal role that match. Those BF/CoD style games are all about fast action and instant gratification, and you either get a kill or die every few minutes (rinse; repeat). It can be either fun or frustrating, depending on plenty of factors at the time - just like PR.

CoD and others are all about getting kills; you shoot your weapon frequently at dozens of enemies in a round, and depending on skill, can expect to die many, many times in a match (preferably ending with a positive KD ratio, of course) -- but in PR, especially due to the teamwork and specific player roles, the goal almost becomes opposite: Keep each other alive, and see who dies the least (rather than see who gets the most kills).

A perfect match in my mind for Top Squad is 0 deaths, and plenty of points from capturing and holding objectives, and memories of cooperation and coordination with several squads throughout the round.

That being said, PR isn't for everyone. Requires more patience, and a larger commitment of one's free time for a single gaming session. IMO, he'll enjoy other FPS games more, and may not ever get into this type of game. Not everyone has the patience for PR, or the interest in a game like this where multiplayer teamwork is the only way to really win.

The OP would have the same difficulty and frustration with Arma2/Arma3 because of the vast difference between military games that try to approach the 'realistic' end of the spectrum. No matter what the game, different flavors are acquired tastes. Go from They Are Billions to Age of Empires, then to Rome Total War; liking just one of those RTS doesn't ensure enjoyment in the others. Grid 2 and Assetto Corsa are both driving games, but the difference is clear after 5 minutes behind the wheel.

Night and day.

Last edited by Veterans-Gaming; 2018-06-19 at 16:57..
Old 2018-06-20, 02:13   #25
Murphy

Sounds like you played INS mode, a lot of the community just become headless chickens looking to go 1v8 and win when they are Insurgents. The point of the game is often tossed into the wind when the team doesn't have tickets to waste, and can instead just play battlefield 2 with deviation. You can still find cohesive squads but the game mode just induces this mentality and it often leads to a bad experience.

Try playing the other mode, AAS, and you will likely find squads sticking together and being directed by a squad leader.

The balance of scoped vs iron sights is actually usually in the favor of irons, a lot of veteran players prefer using iron sights even if you struggle landing shots at longer ranges. Most people will flock to the side with scopes but most unconventional factions have a decent number of scoped weapons available at a supply crate (depending on how many the team already has on the field).

The game takes a certain mentality of cohesiveness to really shine, it's worth the investment when things pay off. Success in PR feels better than almost any other game (Arma has this is spades though), having a squad of friends who can rely on one another to do their jobs correctly is not something many games can replicate quite like PR.
Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-21, 20:43   #26
Tommygun
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
I've been playing FPS shooters since 2000. I got to a certain skill level and never got any better. Im better than casuals but pros kick my ass, and i accept that. So i usually play support roles instead of thinking im the shit and taking point.
This^^ Wow, a horrible wake up call, specially getting older, one might even be getting worse...
Get a good squad and just keep switching till you find a squad that acknowledges you (nicely)...prob best not join Armour or anything ariel to start with! And don't forget that pesky bullet deviation, wait...for the shot.
Tommygun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-22, 15:02   #27
Dr. Phil Perlmutter

I decided not to start a new thread for my following question, due it fits into this thread in my opinion:
I am not new to PR, but there has been one thing lately I am still wondering about.
Driving a tank (would apply to every other vehicle as well), I got hit by rpg twice so I decided to move back to main base to repair and rearm due there was no repair station near me.
So I drove into this repair station in the base (with camouflage net and many crates) and got rearmed but saw no repair symbol, although my tank seemed to be repaired due there was no smoke anymore.
Is a vehicle repaired in like 1 second in this station or what is the reason for not seeing a repair symbol?
Dr. Phil Perlmutter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-22, 15:27   #28
DoctorCox
Supporting Member

Nah it can take quite a while to repair even at main. There is a pretty common bug with the repair/ rearm icons not showing. To fix it just reenter the vehicle..

DoctorCox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-11, 14:28   #29
MustafaAbd0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterDune View Post
Hey man, welcome to PR .

PR has a steep learning curve. But as others suggested, hop online, join a squad and introduce yourself ("hey guys, I'm [name], I'm new to PR" is more than enough btw). Take a rifleman kit, as that has an ammo bag and is a standard but very useful kit.

Do you have a microphone? If not, really get one, even if it's cheap . It'll be so worth it.

Hope you can get into the game. At least you took the time to register here and say hello, that's quite something already these days .

Enjoy! And feel free to ask more questions here.
that's the last thing I'll think of in my mind, if you introduced yourself nowadays you will be bullied 24/7
MustafaAbd0 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
understand, works