project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
03 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2018-06-15, 13:17   #1
desolace1
Default Help me please understand how PR works

Hello everyone. I need some help in understanding PR gameplay and how to play it.

First of all, i never played BF2 before, tried it several days ago cus i was looking for a nice military/war fps with singleplayer bots/custom matches. BF2 has great atmosphere, teamwork, tactics, soldiers shouting orders/messages etc. Vehicles and maps are cool too.
The problem for me in BF2 is limited settings like i'd like to play on all maps, set my own amount of bots etc. it's very limited in BF2 so i was looking for more expanded mod allowing me to adjust everything how i want. Also shooting and hitboxes in BF2 are terrible, like some bullets are going through the enemy and i have to use 30 bullets to kill him. Or with sniper i sometimes need to shot 2-4 times which is ridiculous. Shooting/gun fights in BF2 are a pain, zero fun for me.

So i was looking and hoping for a more expanded mod or something and found PR. Unfortunately guys, it seems even worse than original BF2 for me. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong or didn't set something in the settings but.. here are my feelings after first test match.

- some original BF2 maps are missing, why? Some of them were my favourite. And no option to choose between 16,32,64 map size?
- no minimap in the game, i don't know what and where is happening. Can't react, can't even find a point to capture because the big map shows i'm standing on the flag point but i don't see shit in 100m around me.
- bots are not talking and doing orders like in BF2. They move like 1km/h, camp or stay and do nothing. I run 10min thro the map and don't find anyone cus every bot is going in group or camping in bushes. In BF2 it's more dynamic, more things are happening like it's a real war.
- there are no medics and guys with ammo boxes, so this looks like i'm alone on the map.
- can't enter a simple vehicle cus it says i have no kit or something. Seriously? And i noticed bots stuck in vehicles in ridiculous spots for the whole game they were trying to drive out but with no succes.
- i was hoping for a better gunfights and hitboxes than BF2 but it's even worse with all the "vibrations". 0 fun from shooting, it's painful.

It looks like i play alone cus bots and their gameplay is 100 times worse than BF2. Instead of dynamic war atmosphere, chaos and bots shouting orders/messages it's quiet like i'd be in practice or playing paintball.
desolace1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 13:42   #2
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Help me please understand how PR works

This mod isn't a content pack for BF2. I don't think you really read up on what PR:BF2 really is. We changed more stuff then you listed. Even our features page on this website explains things like why no minimap etc.

We have manual here : http://realitymod.com/manual

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 14:06   #3
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

This mod is barely designed for coop and its not trying to be BF2.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 16:18   #4
desolace1

I was just looking for anything better than BF2, i was hoping for more settings and better gunfights/gameplay. I don't mean content packs.

So PR isn't a thing if i look for singleplayer with bots? I'd like to play online too, but if i don't enjoy it with bots it will be even worse online i guess.
desolace1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 16:24   #5
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

It's free, why not give it a try regardless of whether you're a PvE person?

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 18:43   #6
Veterans-Gaming

Hello and welcome! It can be understood that if you had the wrong impression from the start, this mod could seem pretty "off" - but like Frontliner said, stick with it and you might like it.

Project Reality is a multiplayer experience. In multiplayer, you should be part of a squad, and in that squad will likely be your medic, your rifleman with ammo bags, and a very awesome Squad Leader role with base building powers (though you squad men will have to build, or dig, them in real time during the match). A lot of the BF2 maps were either too small or just not built right for the flow of this modification of the game.

Rounds will take far longer than most team based military FPS games, and many video game-y elements like the mini-map are removed, and many PvP concepts have been heavily modified. You won't find yourself unable to kill a jump happy bunny-sniper, you won't fear grenade spam, you won't get killed by someone dolphin diving, and it takes a few seconds to steady your aim or else your bullet will hit the ground or walls around you.

Most players will chose the role (medic, squad leader, transport pilot, tanker, etc.) they will play for a match and stick with it until the end of the round (i.e. tanker squad will stay in the tanks, and claim the asset by rules so no one else will drive off with their tanks, etc.) and they will protect the vehicle or aircraft, and patiently wait for the 5-20 minutes until it respawns if it is destroyed.

Like they said, the PR Manual and description page will help you learn what this is all about.

The VOIP is amazing for a game of this age; using Mumble, you have your squad radio to chat with everyone in your little group, but through direct comms you can speak to anyone within earshot - and Squad Leaders can talk on a direct channel with any other squad leader, or all squads, or the Commander. It's very immersive and fun.

There are many great servers that are welcoming to new players, and several servers are COOP where humans play against bots (we host one of those), but despite all our efforts, the AI can be dumb as a post and the game becomes more about the team experience and the coordination of combine arms assaults. PvP gets VERY intense at times, again, with some very long rounds sometimes. It's worth checking out!

You should spend some time with that manual, and hop on a server - let them know you're new and I'm sure you'll be welcomed! A positive attitude is worth a million bucks!
Last edited by Veterans-Gaming; 2018-06-15 at 18:55..
Old 2018-06-15, 23:36   #7
Tajulek

Why don't you just search for some PR gameplay videos on the YT?

Here's a playlist of videos trying to compress the whole game into 60 seconds-long clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMm7...OrRQK0yfYRvIIE
Tajulek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-16, 01:14   #8
desolace1

Thanks, i read some of the manual now, the rest i leave for later. Will check YT too, but last time i watched a guy running and staying for 30min of gameplay and i had no idea what is he doing cus he was not even fighting.

Still the problem is PR has co-op mode as its feature so i want to be able to play it properly. But it's not possible. I created a room in Co-op mode, map Al Basrah-Inf and bots were just going in separate groups trying to capture different points and it ended with them camping there and not being able to take the point cus PR has changed it from what i have read in manual and you need to do it in line, point by point. And the whole game, bots from my team were camping in wrong point and the enemy bots were camping in vehicles near our spawn point doing nothing for the whole match. It looks like bugged retarded mode from early access or something. Also bots don't give a fuck if i tell them ANY orders.

And why sometimes i cannot run anymore? I still have a lot of stamina but i can't sprint again for short time after first sprint.
Last edited by desolace1; 2018-06-16 at 01:39..
Old 2018-06-16, 05:21   #9
Veterans-Gaming

Sprint thing is part of the attempt to make movements and behaviors in PR more thought out and premeditated - from sprinting, to reloading, to firing the rifles - the digital soldier is less like a game and requires more thought from the player. Many changes are improvements over the unfair PvP and unbalanced gameplay of the original Battlefield 2.

Also, running a COOP server on your own with bots on YOUR side, and expecting them to behave properly is just expecting too much. Rather than make it impossible for players to enable such a mode, it's left there so you can get familiar with a few things, but don't expect those bots to help you.

When we mean "COOP" on the Multiplayer servers we run, it is Humans on one side, Bots on the other. And they have to be specifically set up if the bots will be playing on the BLUFOR side as most of the vehicles and setups are geared for Humans on BLUFOR and Bots on OPFOR. This is why there are so many public multiplayer servers (again, PR being a multiplayer game).

We hope to see you sometime, best wishes and good luck to you!
Veterans-Gaming is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-16, 08:16   #10
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hey man, welcome to PR .

PR has a steep learning curve. But as others suggested, hop online, join a squad and introduce yourself ("hey guys, I'm [name], I'm new to PR" is more than enough btw). Take a rifleman kit, as that has an ammo bag and is a standard but very useful kit.

Do you have a microphone? If not, really get one, even if it's cheap . It'll be so worth it.

Hope you can get into the game. At least you took the time to register here and say hello, that's quite something already these days .

Enjoy! And feel free to ask more questions here.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
understand, works