project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2012-02-09, 13:18   #1
BroCop
Default [Map] Baran Khooni (2km) [WIP]

Name: Op. Black Thunderstorm
Size: 2km
Factions: TBA (most likely MEC to be featured)
Gamemodes: TBA

Minimap:

Outpost/main base (wip):

Alright, started my first actual project from scratch (well technically 3rd but the 2 previous ones got demolished on the old HDD). I dont really got much going for now but still decided to make this thread and hopefully actually finish this. The minimap unfortunately doesnt show much (yes for now its mostly a huge ass flat area with a couple of mountains)
Last edited by BroCop; 2012-02-10 at 02:25..
Old 2012-02-09, 13:59   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Baran Khooni (2km) [WIP]

cool but a few quick pointers. First of all when using t-paint, uncheck the "mirror texture" option unless your not using a tillable texture as it sucks and you can see its repetitive results on your minimap. Also your colour texture IMO is far too grainy and doesn't really work as a result. A nice smooth colour is much better and more realistic looking

As for your main, good start but I wouldn't have watch towers and make sure you use the "b" versions of the tent_v2(b)

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 14:28   #3
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Being a 2km desert map make sure you place some cover in the flat places. Like wrecked stuff along the road and rocks at other places, irregular terrain, etc.

I think you could make an AASv4 route based around the main road, with things like a gas station and other oil stuff along the road
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 16:27   #4
BroCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
cool but a few quick pointers. First of all when using t-paint, uncheck the "mirror texture" option unless your not using a tillable texture as it sucks and you can see its repetitive results on your minimap. Also your colour texture IMO is far too grainy and doesn't really work as a result. A nice smooth colour is much better and more realistic looking
Alright I'll see what can be done. Will post results tonight.

Quote:
As for your main, good start but I wouldn't have watch towers and make sure you use the "b" versions of the tent_v2(b)
Removal of them (except maybe for that one left of the vehicle hangar) and placement of 1 or 2 additional hesco emplacement? Or just remove em all and leave as it is?

And about the tents. I actually have a tough time finding the tent_v2(b). I knew that there was a more optimized version of the tent_v2 but there aint no staticobject of that name in any of me folders. I assumed that the tent_v2 was replaced by this improved version since the files in staticobjects_update2 zip archives are named identically and asked me to overwrite the previous files. Can I get a clarification?

Quote:
I think you could make an AASv4 route based around the main road, with things like a gas station and other oil stuff along the road
Well I still havent actually decided on the layout. The plan is to make a town/city of some sort in the middle (ala Ejod) but I wouldnt mind making some sort of INS map. I am open to any ideas tbh. Heck if you have something in mind, you can use some leet paint skills on that minimap and PM it.
Last edited by BroCop; 2012-02-09 at 16:33..
Old 2012-02-09, 16:56   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
Alright And about the tents. I actually have a tough time finding the tent_v2(b). I knew that there was a more optimized version of the tent_v2 but there aint no staticobject of that name in any of me folders. I assumed that the tent_v2 was replaced by this improved version since the files in staticobjects_update2 zip archives are named identically and asked me to overwrite the previous files. Can I get a clarification?
The tent_v2bs are not in the v0.973 files, but I'm pretty sure they are part of Tad Sae's objects files.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 02:20   #6
BroCop

Updated minimap in OP. Redone the colourmaps. Still aint kinda satisfied with it (too bright imo) but should be good enough for now

Btw can someone do me a favor and rename the thread name to correspond with the map name in the OP
Last edited by BroCop; 2012-02-10 at 02:25..
Old 2012-02-24, 01:48   #7
BroCop

Alright last weekend was a no go for me (had a small surgical procedure) so havent done much. I made some small work tonight (mainly trying to figure out how I wanna make the town/city).

Overview of a street I started working on (note: Roads arent marked for now)

Basketball court

Will try to get something more worth of showing this weekend
BroCop is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 02:35   #8
Shovel
Supporting Member

Maybe since there are already a lot of generic ME cities in PR you should do something different, add a unique twist. For example, Black Gold was supposed to have an abandoned city in it, but it ended up being changed. Maybe if you made the city very worn down/destroyed/abandoned it would add an interesting visual element.

Shovel009
Shovel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 04:03   #9
ShockUnitBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
Maybe since there are already a lot of generic ME cities in PR you should do something different, add a unique twist. For example, Black Gold was supposed to have an abandoned city in it, but it ended up being changed. Maybe if you made the city very worn down/destroyed/abandoned it would add an interesting visual element.
You need statics. That's the problem.
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 04:23   #10
pr|Zer0

As control point, you can have a fortification of some sort in what looks like mountains and you can also put some wrecks on a secondary road somewhere and use that as a control point..."ambushed convoy" or what ever. Next to the city, or close, you can have a small industrial area (factory, refinery etc), on other part of map spread some village statics to create a village and so on
Also, considering its a 2 km map, you should be careful with the mountains... is you have too many of them, you restrict the AASv4 routes...so make sure you have access to all your control points.

Considering colormaps... i think you can use as many as you want(aka you are not restricted by the 6 layers)...only detailed colormaps are restricted to 6. Select your colormap, click on color on editor's right side and you will paint only colormaps. I dont have the editor open so im talkin from memory(which is not great).
Also... make a backup on a separate disk...ive lost 4 months of work due to disk failure
Last edited by pr|Zer0; 2012-02-24 at 04:28..

Tags
2km, baran, khooni, map, wip