project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > OverClocking & Networking
05 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
OverClocking & Networking Anything related to Overclocking & Networking here

Old 2012-02-18, 17:10   #1
ForLibertyandFreedom
Default Best ISP in the UK?

Hi guys, obviously with ISPs, it depends on your location. However, what I'm looking for is experience and feedback about different companies so then I can see what they offer me. I'm currently with Virgin Media, which is hands down the biggest pile of shit of a company in the UK. For about 6 months now, we've had issues of high utilisation in my area (North-East Brighton). Dates for a fix have been changed 4 times now, and currently, they're saying they just don't know. I'm averaging 1.2mb/s download speed, and my ping is beyond the average. Last night on a UK server, it reacher 455, and then down to 100 where it settled.

VM are offering no compensation for me, and at the moment I'm just so fed up with their service I'm going to seek else where.

BT Infinity is unfortunately not available in my area, so any thoughts?
ForLibertyandFreedom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 17:18   #2
strima
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Best ISP in the UK?

I've found Sky's customer service to be good when I've used them. The only downfall is they use BT landlines so bandwidth is average at best.

strima is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 17:22   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I know you've already mentioned location, but I thought this might help
SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

nice website, so you can find out exactly what capabilities each ISP has in your area, at least in the context of your local phone exchange

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 18:39   #4
gazzthompson

I use:

Broadband, Web Design, Secure Hosting | IDNet

Because im in the ass end of nowhere. expensive compared to others but very good, also the best bit? 1 month rolling contracts. If they turn shit, can bail at any time. They know this and try very hard not to be shit because if they was, everyone would simply leave.

It leaves the risk out as well, try them and you can leave at anytime unlike big companies which have 12month contracts and your stuck.

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 17:35   #5
Mad-Mike

Ive had Sky and virgin and I have stayed with Virgin for a good 5-6 years now.

Most of my family are still with sky and have a lot of problems with sky cutting off etc..
Virgin do somtimes cut off but its every blue moon.

But its different for you I see, so like you said I guess it depends where you live.
Mad-Mike is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 18:53   #6
Pantera

Ive been with Virgin since it was called Telewest.

I love their service and have experienced down time only twice the entire time i was with them!

But it depends on where you live as well, in the City their service is great, but i hear in the country it is not that great.
Pantera is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 19:00   #7
Pedz
Supporting Member

Im with BT (without infinity atm, living in the country) and found them to be the best so far. Had sky, they were utterly useless to us. Giving us a package labelled with "unlimited" and infact limiting us to 1.4GB per day, which well when I updated most games nowadays, or downloaded one, exceeded and suddenly got dial-up speed connections... Took us ages to work out why we were getting such slow speeds as they never told us. So avoiding them like the plague from now on.

But yeah depends if you need the speed of BT, found them excellent so far, and their home hub has awesome WiFi reach.

Other than that I cannot recommend, as the only other companies I've had, are now closed/ been bought out.

Pedz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 16:28   #8
Mad-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Pantera View Post
Ive been with Virgin since it was called Telewest.

I love their service and have experienced down time only twice the entire time i was with them!

But it depends on where you live as well, in the City their service is great, but i hear in the country it is not that great.
I agree. At the minute im paying for the 30mb package, But im getting 32Mb download speed. Ok the upload speed isnt that great with Virgin but its good enough.

And If your a Virgin customer they will be doubling your internet speed! So soon I'll be paying for the 30mb package but I'll be getting 60mb instead.

See when Virgin are doubling your speed.
Last edited by Mad-Mike; 2012-04-25 at 16:34..

Tags
isp