project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-05-11, 01:51   #1
Riflewizard
Default SKS

Two concerns about the sks

1. You cant reload it. That's very annoying. You should be able to reload it, because your only option now is to fire the rest of the ammo.

2. The militia factions should have the bayonet as well. I doubt militias or insurgents take the time to remove the bayonet for no reason.
Riflewizard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 02:15   #2
Ninja2dan
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: SKS

With the original SKS rifles that used a fixed box magazine, which were loaded using 10-round stripper clips, trying to load individual rounds was not only very clumsy but also dangerous. The bolt carrier does not automatically lock rearwards if there are still rounds in the magazine, so to "top off" the mag you need to hold the bolt carrier back on your own, while still trying to hold the rifle steady and insert the new rounds. In most cases, you'll either load the round incorrectly resulting in a jam, or let the bolt loose on your fingers.

You could, in theory, shove another stripper in and feed off just a few rounds. But then you'd be left with a partially-full stripper. The best option is to just wait until your magazine was empty, let the bolt carrier auto-lock to the rear, and shove a fresh stripper in. It was the same with the M1 Garand and other military rifles that didn't use detachable box magazines, drums, or belt-feed systems.

As for the bayonets, I'm not sure why they might not be present on the militia/insurgent models in PR. It could be due to the developers not wanting that function to be active, or it's just not "ready" yet. But from a realism standpoint, removing the bayonet on modern SKS rifles is actually pretty common.

One problem with the bayonets, especially the blade style, is that if the blade is damaged it will often not fit in its recess of the stock. And if some moron tried to actually sharpen the bayonet as if it were a field knife, it could pose a serious hazard even when in the "stowed" position. In most cases, damaged or "compromised" bayonets were usually replaced but if you're talking about insurgents they most likely don't have such spares.

Besides, when was the last time you heard of some Taliban charging into battle with fixed bayonets? If they somehow required CQB weaponry, they'd use a pistol, combat knife, or a fancy chest-mounted grenade rig. And with modern body armor and protective clothing, using a crude bayonet against a conventional modern combat soldier is about as useful as stabbing him with a moldy banana. You're more likely to get stabbed in the eye with a Fisher Space Pen in the process.

Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 03:03   #3
ShockUnitBlack

Main issue is the damage of the 7.62x39mm round, which has the same performance as a 7.62x51/54mm round in-game despite being significantly less powerful in real life.
Last edited by ShockUnitBlack; 2012-05-11 at 04:16..
Old 2012-05-11, 03:41   #4
m111

forgive for my english. I used a lot of SKS and all of SKS which I saw or used was without a bayonet. also militia factions cannot have bayonets because bayonets have been removed from all SKS (in Russia).
m111 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 11:47   #5
Stealthgato

Since when you reload you always lose what ammo you had left in your magazine in PR, it should be the same for the SKS. You should be able to reload at any time and just lose the rounds you had in the magazine and come out with a full one. The bottom of the fixed magazine opens and the rounds come out.

To fix the problem that you can't have different animations for different ammounts of ammo left make the animation this way:
Bottom of magazine is opened while SKS is lowered to the lower part of the screen so you can't see the bullets coming out, then bring it back up, close the magazine and do normal reload.?

EDIT: At 4:00 you can see it.

Last edited by Stealthgato; 2012-05-11 at 14:29..
Old 2012-05-13, 03:34   #6
Riflewizard

The SKS is easily reloadable by dropping the magazine open, ejecting the rounds, then pulling the bolt rearward. I own one.

I'm just saying. Say you're about to ambush some enemies. You need a full magazine, but you've only got 2-3 left. My only option is to fire 3 rounds, alerting the enemy for a large distance surrounding me, instead of reloading silently. That's very detrimental to gameplay

Bayonet's arent a big deal. but i'd like to see them with it, because it feels more authentic. The chances of a bayonet being damaged or compromised are very slim at best. You could still use a knife as the melee weapon instead for gameplay's sake
Riflewizard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 00:20   #7
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

i agree the inability to drop the rounds and reload the SKS is both annoying and detrimental to game play. IRl the SKS can as said before drop remaining rounds by opening the magazine. They are also commonly upgraded to be able to take AK magazines, though we'll assume the insurgents in game are not making that modification.

^then again. it would be nice to have a 30 round mag on it...

Information in the hands of a critical thinker is invaluable, information alone is simply dangerous.
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 21:01   #8
CAS_117

I own a yugo sks, which are tbh these days probably one of the more common variety. More common than the Russian to my experience. There isn't really a difference between loading it and any other carbine. If anything it should be able to keep its left over ammo because you can feed it in manually. As for loading rounds in one at a time manually... I wouldn't say its dangerous per se; the magazine holds the bolt carrier back so you don't really have to do anything but put the rounds in. I guess in theory if you left a round on top without feeding it into the mag properly and then cycled the weapon you could jam it or maybe cook off the round somehow??? Never tried it to be honest...

*Edit: Speak of the devil. I found this article on a guy who did just that. Although this was a box magazine. But it's kind of the same principle. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-to-all-of-us/ (Sorry for hijack).

The bayonet hmm... the bayonet on mine is kind of crappy. I know bayonets aren't supposed to be sharp and its a bit expensive to do during mass production (and it kills resale value blah blah). But this one seems almost rounded. I'd take my M16-14ZSF over it any day of the week. Trenches or not lol.

Easy solution? Give the SKS 30 rd box magazines. Maybe it ruins some of its charm but frankly I can't think of how to make it work properly code wise: One of the advantages of stripper clips is you can feed rounds in whenever there's a brief pause. It's funny at the range everyone's fumbling with their mags and I can just slide one or two in and be ready to go without wasting any time getting out an entire clip . That's one of the many things I like about my M-14 and SKS actually.
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 09:49   #9
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

@CAS_117: they probably dull them before selling to civilians. after all they don't expect you to actually be stabbing anything with it, rather it'd mostly just be for looks.

Information in the hands of a critical thinker is invaluable, information alone is simply dangerous.
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 03:59   #10
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_117 View Post
Easy solution? Give the SKS 30 rd box magazines. Maybe it ruins some of its charm but frankly I can't think of how to make it work properly code wise: One of the advantages of stripper clips is you can feed rounds in whenever there's a brief pause. It's funny at the range everyone's fumbling with their mags and I can just slide one or two in and be ready to go without wasting any time getting out an entire clip . That's one of the many things I like about my M-14 and SKS actually.
Better solution: give SKS scope mount and mount a POSP or PSO something(as place holder, take scope from SVD).

Make it more of a longer range, more accurate, AK; with obvious disadvantage of reload problem and 10 round capacity.
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
sks