project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Vietnam General Discussion > PR:V Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:V Suggestions Suggestions from our community members.

Old 2012-07-06, 11:59   #1
DavviZ
Default The US Grenadier

Hi everyone!
I've been wondering if you're aware that the american soldier that was equipped with a m79 GL only had his m79 and a colt 1911 as standard? The m79 was the "grenadiers" primary weapon during the vietnam conflict.

So if you seek to make the mod as realistic and have the proper arsenal for the kits I suggest you remove the m16 and replace it with a 1911.
Old 2012-07-06, 12:59   #2
JimmyKid1996
Default Re: The US Grenadier

Not trying to be annoying, but the DEVs probably would want some prof before they change anything. (At least that's what I've seen.)
Old 2012-07-06, 13:03   #3
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

No, he's right. It was often considered too heavy or too much of a burden to carry both an M16 and an M79. Though some badass soldiers carried both anyways.

I'll make a note of it.

Old 2012-07-06, 13:30   #4
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Yeah, this was known before the release. The reason why the grenadier has an M16 anyways is because if soldiers equipped with the M79 thought they could bear it they'd take one with them anyways. From a gameplay perspective the M16 it makes sense to allow the grenadier to perform as a rifleman as well due to the limited amount of players per map.

Old 2012-07-06, 13:34   #5
DavviZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyKid1996 View Post
Not trying to be annoying, but the DEVs probably would want some prof before they change anything. (At least that's what I've seen.)
It's okay. I was fully aware of that but I was pretty sure they already knew.
You can pretty easily find info about that just by searching the internet. If you look at youtube videos from Vietnam you'll se that soldiers carrying the m79 only have a m79 and a pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
No, he's right. It was often considered too heavy or too much of a burden to carry both an M16 and an M79. Though some badass soldiers carried both anyways.

I'll make a note of it.
Were they even allowed to do that?
The m16 was issued to the US infantryman because of it's weight, technical advantage and because of the 5.56 round. The smaller round and lighter rifle made it possible to carry more ammunition. To carry all that ammo and a huge amount of 40mm grenades for your M79 would be horrible in the Vietnam terrain.
I guess the American army wanted to keep it as simple as possible for each soldier. Having to switch between two weapons is a bit distracting and you'll need more training.
But that's just me guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Adriaan View Post
Yeah, this was known before the release. The reason why the grenadier has an M16 anyways is because if soldiers equipped with the M79 thought they could bear it they'd take one with them anyways. From a gameplay perspective the M16 it makes sense to allow the grenadier to perform as a rifleman as well due to the limited amount of players per map.
(edited the post so I got Adriaans post with aswell)

I actually think that if you removed the M16 from the kit and replaced it with a pistol you'll improve the gameplay. I've read somewhere that the M79 has a lot of different ammunition. Maybe a buckshot round and a colt 1911 can replace the M16? If the buckshot was used during the Viet war.

Just a thought.
Last edited by DavviZ; 2012-07-06 at 13:42..
Old 2012-07-06, 18:55   #6
40mmrain
Supporting Member

uh, what about a CAR-15?
Old 2012-07-07, 03:27   #7
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavviZ View Post
Were they even allowed to do that?
The m16 was issued to the US infantryman because of it's weight, technical advantage and because of the 5.56 round. The smaller round and lighter rifle made it possible to carry more ammunition. To carry all that ammo and a huge amount of 40mm grenades for your M79 would be horrible in the Vietnam terrain.
I guess the American army wanted to keep it as simple as possible for each soldier. Having to switch between two weapons is a bit distracting and you'll need more training.
But that's just me guessing.
What happened on paper and what happened in practice and released footage were two different things. For example, the field manual basic load for an M16 was 180 rounds (9 magazines). The reality was that troops would carry up to twice as much on their person. If they were able to take the extra weight of a rifle and ammo with the blooper, their SL, Platoon Sergeant or CO allowed it, unless he was an inflexible ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavviZ View Post
I actually think that if you removed the M16 from the kit and replaced it with a pistol you'll improve the gameplay. I've read somewhere that the M79 has a lot of different ammunition. Maybe a buckshot round and a colt 1911 can replace the M16? If the buckshot was used during the Viet war.
Yes, buckshot rounds were introduced during the war and were popular with both the US and Australian forces. You'll be happy to know they are a planned inclusion for further along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40mmrain View Post
uh, what about a CAR-15?
No. Way too rare in regular infantry units.
Last edited by Eddie Baker; 2012-07-07 at 19:33..
Old 2012-07-07, 17:34   #8
Cossack
Supporting Member

Indeed, only special people got it I guess.

Old 2012-07-07, 18:11   #9
Souls Of Mischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack112 View Post
Indeed, only special people got it I guess.
Special people :P LOL
Old 2012-07-07, 18:32   #10
DonDOOM
Supporting Member

Speeeeeshul peepul with CAR-15s? Sounds pretty scary

Tags
grenadier