project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
09 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2012-08-08, 19:29   #1
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Default Headset replacement

So my headset packed in and I am in need of a new one. Being primarily for use with PR I really need something with an average - above average mic, but I would also like:

- Reasonable sound quality, doesn't have to "7.1 surround" or whatever
- Durable, something that will last
- Cheap, under 40 pounds/50euros/$60

I had a pair of Sennheisers a while back which lasted me for years, so I was thinking something like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-M...4452232&sr=8-1

Or these look alright in my price range (they are USB however):

Plantronics Gamecom 780 PC Gaming Headset with 7.1 Surround Sound (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Any suggestions?

Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 22:49   #2
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member
Default Re: Headset replacement

Don't know the quality of "Plantronics" products...

my first headset was Typhoon Bass boost or so, EPIC vibration on the ears... (bot sides were really vibrating!!! REALLY miss that one, cable broke... -.- )

Had an awesome Gembird (virtual) 5.1 USB headset after that (this one: Gembird AP-5.1 Surround-Sound Headset - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics), but then some time the left side was broken (just no sound left ear anymore... -.- ) but the quality was amaaaazing!!! Really epic one, best experience until now!

You should check this one, with vibration!!! Seems best, epic to me...
Gembird AP-880-5.1 Surround Sound USB Headset with Vibration - Silver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I suggest a Creative Fatal1ty, amazing thing, have it for a while now, good quality (although no special bass boost vibration and no 5.1... -.- )

Creative HS800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset with Detachable Noise-Cancelling Microphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Daniel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 01:20   #3
sharpie
Supporting Member

It's over budget, but I have had this for about a year, no problems, loving it. Very comfy :>
Newegg.com - RAZER Carcharias 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Professional Gaming Headset

"Tom I think you have influenced the combat effectiveness of this team! Everyone has gone full potato."~Foxxyfrost
[DM]P*Funk: its like a funk guitar seminar up in that bitch
K_Rivers-"...everything is broken in your country,"
RinWarZip: Your butthurt is like cold september morning by the seashore for me. Refreshing. Pepper mint.
sharpie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 06:38   #4
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Thank you for the suggestions guys, keep em coming

Old 2012-08-09, 11:43   #5
Borg78

I use the Gamecom 780 headset and the sound is superb along with a mic that is easy to adjust but they are a bit clunky, make sure you have plenty of room to turn your head, dont want you knocking any book shelves down!!
Borg78 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 12:56   #6
Th3Exiled

I say stay clear of "Gaming headsets". In my experience with so called "gaming headsets", the highs tend to be flat (no body to them), the mids haven't enough detail and aren't brought out enough, the bass is too loud, lacks warmth and generally sounds rather loose (rather than punchy and precise). Overall they sound like rubbish when compared to a half decent pair of headphones, they seem to be more about over dramatic and big sound than any actual form of quality.

I'd highly recommend sticking with sennheiser and getting a well balanced headset. And if you like that over dramatic sound where everything has too much bass that's what an equaliser is for, but it'll still sound better than the gaming headsets I've tried.
As for a specific headset to recommend, I can only recommend the HD205 as that's the only sennheiser headset I've owned so far. It comes in at around 37 pound on the site you listed.
Sound quality is great however it does not have a mic so that might be a deal breaker for you unless you aren't opposed to using a clip on mic. The muffs felt rather tight fitting when I first got them so it may feel uncomfortable if you are used to designs that fit over the the ears or are in general loose fitting (you will get used to them though, I find them very comfortable now).
I've had the headset for what must be two years now. Still functions perfectly sound wise even though I've put it through it's share of punishment (including tripping over the cable and bending the jack almost 45 degrees :L). The left earmuff on mine has fallen off though it should be easily enough fixed with a little glue, the right shows no sign of giving out.

HD205:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-H...4515616&sr=1-2

Exiled.
Th3Exiled is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 18:02   #7
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Yeah never really been a fan of the headphones + desk mic/clip on thing, seems like a bit too much faffing about for me

I went with these, only slightly over budget.

Old 2012-08-09, 18:44   #8
SnipeHunt
Supporting Member

I am impressed by my failrly cheap, simple headset. the mic boom is flexible and the mic and speaker sound is good, volume wheel and mute button halfway down the cord.

Logitech Gaming Headset G330

Best line yet...
Me: "Hey APC, Can I get a ride to squad 6?"
Unknown: "This APC ain't no Taxi!"
Last edited by SnipeHunt; 2012-08-09 at 20:16..
Old 2012-08-10, 00:08   #9
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

They're not even suited for gaming, no special style or nothing mentioning the word "gaming"... -.-
Daniel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 07:15   #10
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
They're not even suited for gaming, no special style or nothing mentioning the word "gaming"... -.-
I never said I wanted something stylish...

Tags
headset, replacement