project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-09-28, 05:14   #1
Lange

Default Lange's guide to being an effective squadmember

Hi all,

I decided to put a lot of my gameplay experience to good use and try and help the community out there with a few tips for those who may be newbies or to fill in those who might want some useful advice about being a squadmember. I will tell you of what you should do as a squadmember, what is useful to be aware of, and the big no nos you should never do in a squad. First lets look at some of the more obvious things you should always consider when being in a squad and for every PR player should be your general guidelines :

Process and going about obtaining kits

This is a important topic to not be overlooked. Many times this is where squadmembers can cause problems by joining squads and just getting whatever they please or not following what the squadleader wants. When you join a squad, always ask about what kit the SL wants. If he does not respond for some reason, use only a basic rifleman kit. Donot use any special kits without first getting his permission. Except things like maybe a medic if you see a squad doesn't have one as that is often a good jesture but usually ask first in came someone has it. If the SL ignores you after a extended period(maybe was occupied when you asked) or seems to be a noob SL just leave and join a different squad but don't take special kits with you as that can be seen as just joining and leaving for a kit which can really piss a SL off, believe me when it has happened when i've SL'ed I wanted nothing more than to tk the guy in the face for that kind of thing.

If you do decide to take kits without asking or get a kit when you join, the following kits usually mean instant noob and often warrant either aggrivation from many SL's or in my experience often a kick out upon joining for the following:

-A HAT kit on insurgency

Having this kit at any given time without specific permission is a big no on INS because its just freakin pointless and screams noob because players like that always go for the specialty kits. Usually means a player who doesn't get the game or doesn't listen and just is a instant red flag and can get you kicked out of squads.

-Sniper Kit

This has got to be one of the worst. 90% of the time someone who joins a squad and has this kit or requests it just lonewolfs around without using any voice chat or play with the squad. Personal aggrivates me to no end in my squad. If you have this kit for some reason when you join a squad during a round from say another speak up right away so your SL knows because using voice automatically makes you above others who have the kit so you show intelligence. If your already in a squad don't get it EVER without asking or risk getting disowned or kicked.

-Other specialty kits to be aware of

Combat Engineer, etc are valid on insurgency but often encourage noob squads and players and should only be taken with discresion as well.

Summary

Just remember in a nutshell if your not sure a kit ask or SL or stick to a rifleman kit. If you feel inclined to get something without directly being given permission AR and Medic(as was mentioned) are often fair game. In short don't be a jackass with kits and be a team player.

Section 2- Player Awareness

Player awareness is something often overlooked. This is described as having a awaresness of what to do and be looking out for without your squadleader even giving a order or saying a word. Here are some things that I believe every player should develop an awareness of some obvious and basic some more elaborate and intelligent concepts:

Donot lonewolf or fail to respond on mumble or voip.

Had this happen many times when playing in squads or leading a squad, and is often very irriating.

(Will finish thread soon)
Last edited by Lange; 2012-10-01 at 06:15..
Old 2012-09-28, 10:11   #2
Arnoldio
Banned
Default Re: Lange's guide to being an effective squadmember

Appreciate your effort, but people who request special kits and act retardedly arent on the forums, otherwise theyd be more mature i believe.

Go on.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 22:11   #3
FrostZeroOne

Haha..so true, i would like to see the rest
FrostZeroOne is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 23:40   #4
ShockUnitBlack

lol I jack Sniper kits without permission whenever I can nowadays.
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 15:42   #5
C.Death[3rdID]

Yeah, if you lose the HAT kit as BLUFOR on insurgency chances are an insurgent's going to cycle it to kill you AAV or something. The Taliban/Hamas HAT on the other hand is quite effective if you know how to use it.
C.Death[3rdID] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 16:15   #6
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Chances are his screen will go black before deviation settles unless he knows what hes doing. I suggest taking the combat engi as much as possible and trying to mine ins base exit. Then when I kill you I will have an endless suplly of bombcars!
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 14:47   #7
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator

Screw bombcars, bomb bikes are the way to go.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 10:00   #8
Danger_6

Most effective and useful way for being a squad member is to stay alive as long as possible.
Danger_6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 19:06   #9
=HCM= Shwedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4gi View Post
Chances are his screen will go black before deviation settles unless he knows what hes doing. I suggest taking the combat engi as much as possible and trying to mine ins base exit. Then when I kill you I will have an endless suplly of bombcars!
The target you are engaging has to be stationary generally when using the enemy team's HAT. You can actually aim the HAT using your basic rifle beforehand, just don't move when you pick up the HAT and you can shoot it while the screen is black, you have a few seconds of black screen before you die so you can get a shot off and quickly cycle back. I once killed a ton of British armor on Basrah from VCP doing this including the tank in the first five minutes, I had a squad member bomb car VCP while I covered him using a .50 techy and the rest of my squad stormed VCP after the bomb car. I found a HAT kit in a bunker, and saw the tank north of VCP.

Personally though, I play with the same squad members every day and they know what kits are needed and when they are needed so I let them take personal initiative most of the time unless I realllly need a certain kit such as a rope to accomplish an objective. Caches are rather easy to HAT most of the time because they are usually placed in shitty spots, so if a squad member sees an angle he can HAT the cache from that I didn't see, I hope by all means he takes the HAT. I personally hate it when squad members take a rifleman kit (except if I am running mortars) on insurgency because the insurgents can use the scoped rifleman kits against me rather readily, so I prefer them to take grenadier,medic,HAT,marksman, SAW,etc. or generally anything to enhance my squad's firepower that the enemy cannot use (not pilot kits, l33t MP-5 crewmen, LAT, sniper,etc.).
=HCM= Shwedor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 05:14   #10
Wheres_my_chili

Well regarding the HAT kit. Wouldn't it be better to take a HAT, which is very difficult to use as insurgent and leaves them majorly exposed when setting up, than to take a LAT which insurgents can carry with them and reload repeatedly?

It just seems like the HAT is less risky.
Wheres_my_chili is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
effective, guide, lange, squadmember