project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion > PR:F Suggestions
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:F Suggestions Suggestions from our community members.

Old 2013-01-17, 15:20   #1
kangaroo
Default more bombs for the bombers...

I think the bomber needs more bombs, the mirrage can fly out with AA missles and 2 bombs and considering the speed of the bombers 3 bombs is pretty dismal. is it possible for them to have 2 big bombs then maybe 12 smaller bombs that can be dropped rapidly for a a cluster bombing effect?
kangaroo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 15:53   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: more bombs for the bombers...

Well for starters, the "Mirage with bomb" and yellow wings etc is actually an IAI Dagger

I think the Infantry would disagree with you on giving the jets more bombs, most of what I hear about is how much rape the jets are (although IMO, heavily exaggerated)

But anyways the loadouts are based on realistic loadouts for these aircraft during the war.

Ignore the Pucara in that list, it was never fielded with a Torpedo it was only considered

The main reason to why these aircraft where so lightly armed was mainly due to how far they had to fly to the Falklands and the more they carried, the less range they had. It is possible for the A-4 to carry a shed load of bombs as seen here:

But it just simply didn't during the Falklands war for the above reason.

The most common was it to carry a single 1000lb bomb like in this picture here:

But I felt that 3 500lb (adding up to 1500lbs of bombs) would be better overall and was also a somewhat common loadout:

The IAI Dagger on the other hand did sometimes carry 2x 1000lb bombs, but more common for it to carry 2x 500lb bombs and since I've also given it AA missiles ingame which it didn't really carry very often during the war (although is very capable of doing it) I felt it would be best as otherwise it would be the most effective jet ingame, having 2000lbs worth of bombs as well as AA missiles and a dual 30mm cannon, its already the most effective, all rounder ingame with just 1000lbs worth of bombs

So ye, don't see this happening any time soon tbh.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 14:46   #3
kangaroo

thanks for the info, it just seemed like you had to fly so far for so long for so little. ei trying to attack the scimitar (which is very hard to see) and attempting to area bomb a landmark or target marker.

Also two more things I have noticed if you drop bombs from say 1500 they will explode at 1200 alt can you let me know why this is so? And is it possible for cannon fire to destroy a bomb inflight?
kangaroo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 14:59   #4
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo View Post
thanks for the info, it just seemed like you had to fly so far for so long for so little. ei trying to attack the scimitar (which is very hard to see) and attempting to area bomb a landmark or target marker.
You can do a lot of damage with just three or two 500lb bombs

The Scorpion however is a hard target to hit with just a 500lb bomb, although you only need one near/direct hit to take it out so its really a matter of skill and with the A-4, you get 3 chances, 2 chances with the Dagger, providing you don't drop all your bombs at the same time and only drop one on each pass, unless you've got enemy harriers about then you might just want to dump your entire load on it and get the feck out of there and hope one of them gets close

But I find the A-1H Skyraider (turboprop plane) is the best for taking out the Scorpion myself, since its forward based on the islands and you can easily get a load of hits on it with a bunch of rockets, only thing you have to watch out for is thous damn harriers and the odd bit of AA ofc

But at the end of the day, a skilled bomber can get a lot of kills when working with guys on the ground calling out targets, seen bombers getting ~15 kills on one pass at some points but that's pretty rare but you just need to practice your bombing and you will soon be able to snipe targets with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo View Post
Also two more things I have noticed if you drop bombs from say 1500 they will explode at 1200 alt can you let me know why this is so? And is it possible for cannon fire to destroy a bomb inflight?
That might be a bug, can anyone else confirm? and no cannons can't destroy bombs in flight, I'm pretty sure and even if they could, would be pretty much impossible to hit them
More likely a time to live bug.

Old 2013-02-01, 15:47   #5
Hitman.2.5

Hey Rhino, was the Skyraider really used in the Falklands conflict?
Hitman.2.5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 16:28   #6
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

No, its a place holder for the FMA IA 58 Pucara which was used during the Falklands war, along with a couple of other turbo props.

Old 2013-02-04, 22:37   #7
Hitman.2.5

Ah thanks
Hitman.2.5 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bombers, bombs