project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-24, 15:34   #1
[R-DEV]​Ason
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default [Map] Assault on Grozny (2km) [Released]

Map name: Grozny
Size: 2km
Factions: Modified Russian Army vs Militia (Modified = Different weapons etc.)
Gameplay type: AAS , Heavy Vehicles including one AH for Russia

WIP minimap:

Last edited by [R-DEV]Ason; 2013-12-25 at 23:06..
Old 2013-01-24, 15:55   #2
sylent/shooter
Default Re: [MAP] Grozny 2km/4km

2. You will not be able to make a full city map in a 4km map. Its too big and it won't even be playable. 2km is even pushing it a bit... If you take a look at other pr maps that have cities look at how they are done, muttrah for example has a lot of dead space because of the ocean.

To make buildings look destroyed you might want to consider doing textures for them but to be honest that's quite advanced. Also try putting vines on the buildings. Unfortunately you can't edit the static meshes themselves although you can use other statics to make it look war torn

another method is to add bomb craters manually in the terrain and paint them black..
Old 2013-01-24, 16:02   #3
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]sylent/shooter View Post
2. You will not be able to make a full city map in a 4km map. Its too big and it won't even be playable. 2km is even pushing it a bit... If you take a look at other pr maps that have cities look at how they are done, muttrah for example has a lot of dead space because of the ocean.

To make buildings look destroyed you might want to consider doing textures for them but to be honest that's quite advanced. Also try putting vines on the buildings. Unfortunately you can't edit the static meshes themselves although you can use other statics to make it look war torn

another method is to add bomb craters manually in the terrain and paint them black..
Alright, I know I can't change the buildings themselves so I was looking for the advice you gave me If somebody got more advice that would be greatly appriciated
Old 2013-01-24, 16:11   #4
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I suggest looking at dragon fly. This map tries to simulate a similar concept. But yeah, as sylent says, making a full 2k city will probably be impossible to run But yeah, if you look at dragon fly, then you can clearly see you can visualize a (small)city in the middle with a surrounding river and Forest.

You can try to achieve a similar look for your city and surrounding area.

anther suggestion is to use the debree detail and color textures and make piles of them. With random debree objects sticking threw. Make them block entrenches to buildings occasionally and add smoke and fire effects to archive a destroyed city look. And craters.

Old 2013-01-24, 16:15   #5
rodrigoma

I recommend getting a scale 2km-2km image from google earth or whatever, getting the Heightmap if it's important and start. I like the mix with the forest crop fields and city in your image, you could get and area that incorporates those 3 things, And as Mineral said look at dragon fly or better IMO Iron ridge that has the abandoned feel to it.
Old 2013-01-24, 16:44   #6
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Alright, I'll have a look at that map

I'm thinking of maybe just making the city in a smaller scale, like getting the main streets correct and the key locations of the city and then making the city a little bit smaller than it really is(making the suburbs smaller for example), so i can get some of the outskirts field in the map aswell, cuz they are pretty charasteristic of the grozny area. Do you think that is a good idea?
Old 2013-01-24, 16:45   #7
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]rodrigoma View Post
I recommend getting a scale 2km-2km image from google earth or whatever, getting the Heightmap if it's important and start. I like the mix with the forest crop fields and city in your image, you could get and area that incorporates those 3 things, And as Mineral said look at dragon fly or better IMO Iron ridge that has the abandoned feel to it.
Do you know if it's possible to set the image lenghts on google earths? the problem i'm getting is i can zoom but either its too much zoomed out, or too much zoomed in...
Old 2013-01-24, 16:52   #8
[R-DEV]Mineral
Supporting Member

I suggest using the following tool:
Google Maps Downloader

this allows you to fill in the two coordinates of your map(top left corner and bottom right if I remember correctly) and downloads then all map images from google for you in this rectangle/square. (the free version of the tool only allows for a certain level of max zoom detail). then a second option of the tool will then combine all these images to one big map image. This image you can then use Tpaint for to use it as a colormap for map.

This way you will have the high detail of the google satellite images to work with.

Old 2013-01-24, 16:58   #9
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_MineralWouter View Post
I suggest using the following tool:
Google Maps Downloader

this allows you to fill in the two coordinates of your map(top left corner and bottom right if I remember correctly) and downloads then all map images from google for you in this rectangle/square. (the free version of the tool only allows for a certain level of max zoom detail). then a second option of the tool will then combine all these images to one big map image. This image you can then use Tpaint for to use it as a colormap for map.

This way you will have the high detail of the google satellite images to work with.
Ahaa nice, so you mean i can have the map picture as the ground in my map ? that way i can place the buildings first and then paint the terrain right ??
Old 2013-01-24, 17:02   #10
[R-DEV]Mineral
Supporting Member

exactly It's handy for laying down roads and certain parts of the city. If you use it together with a heightmap then it will be even better. some tutorials, but a bit more difficult can be read here:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...img-heavy.html

Closed Thread

Tags
2km, assault, grozny, map, released, wip