project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-08-07, 17:21   #1
saamohod
Default My 5 cents on prone animation

The new prone animation is indeed an aesthetically awesome thing. Until you discover the way it interferes with reload animation.
It is very annoying to encounter this issue during reloading your magazine, even more unbearable if you are caught in the midst of reloading your RPG. Argh, this can be a torture.
I highly doubt the tradeoff was worth it.
saamohod is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 17:30   #2
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: My 5 cents on prone animation

It's fine if you ask me, just listen to the reloading sound if you're really worried. Or switch to another weapon and straight back, et voila. Personally, I'd rather have these animations and sometimes no reload animation, than not having them at all .

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 05:55   #3
007.SirBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
It's fine if you ask me, just listen to the reloading sound if you're really worried. Or switch to another weapon and straight back, et voila. Personally, I'd rather have these animations and sometimes no reload animation, than not having them at all .
Can we just get rid of the going to prone animation and the standing up from prone animation?

Those two animations are the only things that conflict with the reloads and override the reload animations.

The crawling animations are nice and don't override reloading when you are prone. I don't really care much for the going to prone and the standing up from prone if they override the reloads. In fact, sometimes the going to prone animation overrides deploying the bipod animation, forcing you to deploy your weapon twice, not a big deal but adds a few more seconds that sometimes cud save your life.
007.SirBond is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 07:28   #4
ghostfool84
Supporting Member

I really like the prone animation, the game feels really better with it, but these interrupts on reloading or something are really annoying, most of the time i reload i lay down so you see it happen quite often. Is it not possible to "prefer" the reload animation over the prone animation?
ghostfool84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 08:50   #5
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

it over rides the animation but from a gameplay perspective i dont think it's ever interrupted the reload itself has it? i noticed it myself but each time i can hear the reloading sounds playing and the reload still happens. same goes for the deploying.

that said i'd prefer if it did actually interrupt the reloading. IRL you cant reload while you go prone otherwise you'd smash your face into the ground or worse yet the butt of your rifle. getting up is also a PITA when both hands are occupied. you can argue that you reload while going prone by dropping to your knees first, but doesn't that really just equate to crouching? forgetting the need to use your arms to cushion your drop from standing position to prone, you cant grab a mag from your pouch while you're slamming your gut (where the mag pouches are located) into the ground, you'd crush your hands. you'd need to roll to the side to grab a fresh mag. assuming you had the mag out earlier you also cant accurately place it into the magwell while you're bouncing off the ground either.

to anyone who may wish to argue that point: put both your hands together and attempt to adopt the prone position without allowing your arms or hands to hit the ground, and without first transitioning to your knees. in order to reload a rifle or indeed do anything with your arms with any level of control, your arms must first not be inhibited or otherwise effected by an external force (in this case hitting the ground)

Information in the hands of a critical thinker is invaluable, information alone is simply dangerous.
Last edited by Bringerof_D; 2013-09-16 at 08:55..
Old 2013-09-16, 10:23   #6
MADsqirrel
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
it over rides the animation but from a gameplay perspective i dont think it's ever interrupted the reload itself has it? i noticed it myself but each time i can hear the reloading sounds playing and the reload still happens. same goes for the deploying.

that said i'd prefer if it did actually interrupt the reloading. IRL you cant reload while you go prone otherwise you'd smash your face into the ground or worse yet the butt of your rifle. getting up is also a PITA when both hands are occupied. you can argue that you reload while going prone by dropping to your knees first, but doesn't that really just equate to crouching? forgetting the need to use your arms to cushion your drop from standing position to prone, you cant grab a mag from your pouch while you're slamming your gut (where the mag pouches are located) into the ground, you'd crush your hands. you'd need to roll to the side to grab a fresh mag. assuming you had the mag out earlier you also cant accurately place it into the magwell while you're bouncing off the ground either.

to anyone who may wish to argue that point: put both your hands together and attempt to adopt the prone position without allowing your arms or hands to hit the ground, and without first transitioning to your knees. in order to reload a rifle or indeed do anything with your arms with any level of control, your arms must first not be inhibited or otherwise effected by an external force (in this case hitting the ground)
I wanted too say the same.
Even moving and reloading at the same time is hard, reloading any weapon while going prone is simply impossible.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic56970_7.gif
MADsqirrel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 12:13   #7
ghostfool84
Supporting Member

I meant it did not show that you are reloading, it doesnt get interrupted.

And i think thats is ok, of course its unrealistic, but its unrealistic also that you have to start the whole reloading process again when you prone 0,5 sek before you finished it. A simply delay in the reloadingprocess when going prone would help.

[KSK]
ghostfool84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 15:57   #8
Raic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
In this case you don't fall directly forward as that would be dangerous to your face, you fall over to your side and that is very basic thing to achieve without worrying how you are holding your rifle. only thing it requires you to take step forward and go low and just fall over your leg and then roll from waist to chest. Combat gear is also very durable and won't really care if you use it as softener. And anyway, you don't jump up and then smack on the ground. You "dive". You position your chest low and then move your legs behind so you fall to the ground. When going to prone is done properly you don't really need arms that much anyway, but whatever you are holding can get into contact with your face.

For getting up, you don't really require to use your whole arm length. You can just lift yourself with your elbow and then get knee under yourself to get up. You always have elbows available no matter what you might be doing.

As for interrupting reload, it would not slow it by even a second, not really a worthy gameplay element to discuss implementing.
Raic is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 05:20   #9
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raic View Post
In this case you don't fall directly forward as that would be dangerous to your face, you fall over to your side and that is very basic thing to achieve without worrying how you are holding your rifle. only thing it requires you to take step forward and go low and just fall over your leg and then roll from waist to chest. Combat gear is also very durable and won't really care if you use it as softener. And anyway, you don't jump up and then smack on the ground. You "dive". You position your chest low and then move your legs behind so you fall to the ground. When going to prone is done properly you don't really need arms that much anyway, but whatever you are holding can get into contact with your face.

For getting up, you don't really require to use your whole arm length. You can just lift yourself with your elbow and then get knee under yourself to get up. You always have elbows available no matter what you might be doing.

As for interrupting reload, it would not slow it by even a second, not really a worthy gameplay element to discuss implementing.
first off i wasn't suggesting that it interrupt the reload, i was merely pointing out that it wouldnt bother me even if it did from a realism stand point.

second, you're free to try any of the techniques you've mentioned. then moment you attempt to adopt the prone position your arms will flop, its physics. it doesnt matter how softly you try and do it. on the side or on your pouches. any attempt to fight the flop will only result in your arms freezing up entirely. going down on the side will soften the landing and indeed you can use it when both hands are occupied, but you cant do anything with your hands other than hold something while it happens

as for getting up... dont even bother getting up, just try reloading with your elbows planted to the ground that should be enough to prove my point. i can guarantee that the moment you use even just one elbow, to push against the ground your entire "reloading action" is halted. when applying force in that type of action through your arm it is natural for both arms to tense up.

there is no point where a man will reload "while" going prone, what actually happens will be that they begin the reload on the run, then complete the reload just as they begin to go down.

Information in the hands of a critical thinker is invaluable, information alone is simply dangerous.
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 17:25   #10
Wing Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
Ditto.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
animation, cents, prone