project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2014-01-09, 09:35   #1
[R-DEV]​Ason
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default [Map] Bamyan (4km) [Released]

Name: Bamyan
Location: Fictional,somewhere between Syria, Afghanistan and Russia.
Size: 4km
Factions: Militia vs Taliban
Gametype: Light Vehicles and CAS, perhaps heavy vehicles on some layer.
Layers: (AAS12, AAS62, AAS32, Skirmish16, might make insurgency aswell in the future.

History/Situation: The map is mostly inspired by the period after the coalition forces have withdrawn their ground forces from Afghanistan.
The situation is more or less the same as in Afghanistan with a strong rebel faction and a weak government faction. The militia (government forces) have bought and been given a lot of vehicles from the coalition forces, like HMMWV's and M113's and there is still air support from the coalition forces (A-10).

AAS64 will be a normal layer where the objectives will mostly be populated areas.

AAS32-Checkpoints/FOB's:
In AAs32 the objectives will be focused on specific road checkpoints that are spread out across the map. These checkpoints will be randomly selected at the start of the round and there will always be 2 in play at the same time. Each checkpoint will spawn a rally for the militia. The talibans will have to capture them and once they are captured they can not be recaptured.
In total I will make about 8-10 checkpoints and every round, 4 of these are randomly selected to be in play every round, so there will be some variation between rounds.

Here is a minimap to give you a better picture:

Two red and two blue CP's will be chosen at the start of the battle, if the talibans captures the two red CP's they can continue to capture the two blue ones, if those two fall they can attack the big base in the south.
This is how the Assets will look on AAS32:
Militia:
2-4 Logis
2 Trucks
2 support jeeps
4 Uparmored HMMWV's 50.cal
2 M113's with 50.cal
1 A-10 (no-respawn)
Taliban:
8 civi cars
4 Zastava vans
2 DShK Techies
2 SPG Techies
1 Rocket Techie
2 Ural AAV

Everything is WIP so advice and suggestions are more than welcome as I'm sure there are many things I haven't thought about.

Long live Iron sights!

Download:
Last edited by [R-DEV]Ason; 2015-02-13 at 08:54..
Old 2014-01-09, 16:21   #2
[R-DEV]​camo
Supporting Member

Default re: [Map] Bamyan (4km)[WIP]

Are you allowed to just straight out copy it?

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 16:24   #3
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

afaik, might be wrong, "Takistan" is ARMA2's version of a fictional location inside Pakistan. As such its not based on any real terrain/area. If it was then you still have the massive problem of it being far too large for a BF2 map and would only be able to use a tiny corner, if keeping it 1:1 scale.

If your looking to make a map with some similar terrain I suggest hunting around Afghanistan and Pakistan in google earth looking for one and basing it on something you find there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo_jnr_jnr View Post
Are you allowed to just straight out copy it?
Providing he doesn't use any of the files ARMA2 used, and its basically inspired by it, then I believe so yes. But if you where to use its heightmap or anything like that then that would be a breach of copyright law.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 16:33   #4
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

He cannot use any of the arma content no. But he can be inspired by it, why not? takistan wasn't invented by Bohemia, they based it on a real life location too. (and obviously gave it a fictional name and story)

Anyway, word of advice, those hills don't look that good in bf2. You cannot really archive the same detail that makes takistan such a great map. In PR it will just look like a bare wasteland I'm afraid. But it's worth a shot if you want to make it. Although I can't see it being interesting for PR gameplay. Also Takistan is after a bit of searching based on Afghanistan,Bamyan province, southwest from Yakawlang. Google it and you'll find it on a map.

http://65.imagebam.com/download/0gja...65633/Tak2.jpg

@Rhino: Bohemia always bases it's map's on real life locations. Makes it more easy for them I guess They buy satellite and vegetation maps and can therefore makes these maps quite 'fast'. They did the same with arma3.

Another note is that making the map now, using the current afghan statics is a really bad decision. Those statics are pretty bad and using them on a 4k map is not really advisable. And it has been said multiple times they are likely to be phased out or not allowed on new maps anymore. Rhino is working on getting a new set of modular buildings for afghan compounds for Sangin.

My biggest advice though is to get Grozny finished. It might be close, but it's not there. It needs gameplay layers, it's needs lightmaps, a public test,... If you start a new map now you'll push a possible finished Grozny map away for multiple months. Doesn't seem right.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Mineral; 2014-01-09 at 16:44..
Old 2014-01-09, 17:02   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Mineral View Post
@Rhino: Bohemia always bases it's map's on real life locations. Makes it more easy for them I guess They buy satellite and vegetation maps and can therefore makes these maps quite 'fast'. They did the same with arma3.
You don't have to have your map based on a real life location to use Satellite data.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 17:13   #6
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

? If you use satellite data for a map, then you are basing it on that region. You can fill it in differently,make it look entirely different. But then some part of your map will be based on it, the data you use...

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 17:43   #7
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

I tried to find the location of takistan heightmap but couldn't find it, thanks Mineral.
I know the area is too large for BF2, I didn't want to copy the entire map just like that, It's more the environment and the type/shape of mountains I'm after.

I guess you are right about waiting, Mineral. I think I will try to get a nice terrain though and then wait until new afghan statics arrive. Btw Rhino you made new afghan walls and stuff but I couldn't find download link:/ Is it not released to community yet ?
Mud, Bricks and Sweat - Project Reality Forums
Ason is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 05:16   #8
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Get Grozny done before!
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 07:07   #9
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.LHeureux View Post
Get Grozny done before!
Will do

Is it only possible to use Tpaint once on every map ? I tried changing the colormap like 5 times but still got the same ugly yellow color :/

Last edited by [R-DEV]Ason; 2014-01-10 at 10:11..
Old 2014-01-10, 10:21   #10
Spyker2041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrslobodan View Post
Will do

Is it only possible to use Tpaint once on every map ? I tried changing the colormap like 5 times but still got the same ugly yellow color :/

You have to replace the low high and steep .tga files in the tpaint folder with the color textures you want to use, save them in the same format as the originals and then run tpaint.

Take a look at my custom PRSP Maps --> Click Here
Take a look at my gameplay vids --> Click Here
Spyker2041 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, 4kmwip, bamyan, concept, map, released, ridge, shok, takistan, wip