project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-01-17, 18:34   #1
Wing Walker
Default Why Large Dead Zone Areas?

Just wondered why we have so much area on some maps, like Kokan or Muttrah, where there is a lot of dead zone where you can't move into, with the exception of mains.

If the whole map was usable I would think it would open some possibilities once in a while.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 18:52   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Why Large Dead Zone Areas?

Muttrah is only mains, which includes the Sea past the docks around the carrier so APCs can't swim up to it and shoot the carriers on the decks?

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 19:42   #3
Rabbit
Default Re: Why Large Dead Zone Areas?

I can't see why the opposing team would ever need to go into them except to spawn rape.

https://www.realitymod.com/mapgaller...gpm_cq_128.jpg

Although I do agree the US base protection is a bit strange how it wraps around the first village.

https://www.realitymod.com/mapgaller...rgency_128.jpg
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 21:42   #4
Jacksonez__
Default Bad use of map area

Sorry for poor graphs and messy presentation. I do understand that not 100% of the map area can't be used, but my point is that the devs could improve some maps with more flag variation or objectives or anything that would bring some action to "quiet" areas (blue lined areas in my graphs)

Example 1 - Burning Sands

Questions:
  • Why is Burning Sands so empty in 1.0? See the graph.
  • Why some flags were removed? (abandoned highway VCP, Weapons facility, failed oil exploration / aircraft wreck)

Example 2 - Operation Ghost Train

Legend:
  • Red lined area: Map borders, "DOD" area
  • Blue lined area: Places with very little action (meaning players don't usually go there)
  • Long black lines in the sides = Showing the "real physical" borders of the map

Question: Why is the map border so stupid? (circleish). The map is supposed to be 1 km map, now it is like 400-500m map.

This map is very intense, though. But I still don't understand the map borders.

Example 3 - Xiangshan

This rarely played map has some flaws. Instead of stupid map borders, this map has ~40% map area not used (no flags or anything, just EMPTY area where nobody wants to go as this is 4km map)

I do understand that there could be some interesting armor battles in these so called empty areas - if the map had like 5 tanks for each team. But Burning Sands and Xiangshan aren't really filled with armor.
Last edited by Jacksonez__; 2014-01-17 at 21:50..
Old 2014-01-17, 21:48   #5
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Bad use of map area

Burning Sands wise, all changes were made to make the map technically playable due to the number of reports I received that the map had too low FPS and memory crashing issues. The City is the best part of the map and the flanks are just for vehicular flanking.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 21:52   #6
Jacksonez__

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
Burning Sands wise, all changes were made to make the map technically playable due to the number of reports I received that the map had too low FPS and memory crashing issues. The City is the best part of the map and the flanks are just for vehicular flanking.
Still, it still has some extreme desert areas. If this map had like 3-5 tanks (+ more APC's and maybe CAS jets?) for both teams, then I would understand this open area - although fighting in flat ground wouldn't be so interesting. This map huge potential but it is wasted.

Like in Khamisaya, that map doesn't have Al Khidir (the city) in middle of the map and emptiness on the sides. It has many objectives and mapped areas.

If this map was just for "urban warfare", this could be 40-50% smaller map. As I said above, you don't see large scale armor battles here like in Khamishaya just because this map doesn't have that many armor assets.

Not to mention Xiangshan. It is SO rarely played map and you don't even need to guess the reason.

Op. Ghost Train has no large issues, maybe the weird map borders. They could be extended to the "physical borders" instead of limiting it so much.
Last edited by Jacksonez__; 2014-01-17 at 21:57..
Old 2014-01-17, 21:52   #7
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

One of the reasons I can think of is cause corners of map simply suck to play on. They often only allow for the enemy/friendly to come from one way. You are simply cornered, which often doesn't allow for much gameplay tactics. Which results in battles always ending the same way. 4k maps are soo big, that offering 'only' flags in the 'middle' (the '' is quite important, as often the flags extent to the sides quite a lot) that this offers many flanking and other routes to the flags.

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 21:56   #8
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonez__ View Post
Still, it still has some extreme desert areas. If this map had like 3-5 tanks (+ more APC's and maybe CAS jets?) for both teams, then I would understand this open area - although fighting in flat ground wouldn't be so interesting. This map huge potential but it is wasted.

Like in Khamisaya, that map doesn't have Al Khidir (the city) in middle of the map and emptiness on the sides. It has many objectives and mapped areas.

If this map was just for "urban warfare", this could be 40-50% smaller map.
I actually made a version with CAS jets at one point, however the runways were too hard to protect from raping. It would have been interesting, I prefer Jets to Helis in many ways.

I could possibly increase the number of tanks on 128 layer, but the 64 layer isn't going to change.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 21:58   #9
Jacksonez__

Quote:
I actually made a version with CAS jets at one point, however the runways were too hard to protect from raping. It would have been interesting, I prefer Jets to Helis in many ways.

I could possibly increase the number of tanks on 128 layer, but the 64 layer isn't going to change.
I would love to see more armor assets in Burning Sands - and something done to Xiangshan. Also jets could bring an interesting nuance to game play in Burning sands.
Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-18, 16:27   #10
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
The City is the best part of the map and the flanks are just for vehicular flanking.
Sorry to say but in my opinion the recent changes to burning sands' city made it not so good, the layout of it just makes it bad for infantry. Too many wide open areas, instead of the old great maze feel it had to it.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
area, areas, bad, dead, large, map, zone