project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Texturing
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-04-16, 08:22   #1
ddeo
Retired PR Developer
Default [Weapon]Spike MR/LR

Hi. I've finished UV unwraping Spike model (HAT): p3d.in - spike (just weapon, no missile). Here is UV layout: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnzha6zkjsq755x/spike.png

If everything is ok I'm going to start UV unwraping 3p model and tripod for Spike static. I have a question: should 3p Spike model and tripod be on the same UV layout or should I prepare 2 layouts for 2 textures? Spike could be used also as mounted ATGM on vehicles, but for that it would need to be attached to new handle: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...SPIKE_ATGM.jpg

Currently Spike static model looks like this (properly optimized compared to HAT model for infantry): p3d.in - spike static
ddeo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 08:30   #2
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Weapon]Spike MR/LR

Is this PNG usable for texturing or shouldn't it be in another format?

Glimmerman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 08:34   #3
ddeo
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Glimmerman View Post

Is this PNG usable for texturing or shouldn't it be in another format?
When time comes I'll export svg (or eps) ! But png should be usable too, just resolution is currently small.
Old 2014-04-16, 08:56   #4
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Cool, model and UVs look pretty good although if I'm being picky your UV could be packed a bit better but pretty good for the most part, also worth rendering your UVs in face mode rather than just edges as its easier to tell what area is actually being used. Texporter is a good tool if you aren't using that

The missile will need some optimization before exporting it as a projectile with also the missile UV being on its own texture sheet (take it from your comments you haven't UVed it yet, not clear?). I also take it the only time the missile will be seen is when the weapon is fired correct?

As for the Deployable Version, ye I would have the tripod and other bits separate from the handheld version on their own sheet but the weapon itself using the same textures as the handheld version, unless you need any significant differences but if that's the case, best to use as much of the handheld texture as possible and just re-UV the bits that are different colours or w/e on the deployable version to the tripod sheet. Same goes for a vehicle mounted version too.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 10:16   #5
ddeo
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Cool, model and UVs look pretty good although if I'm being picky your UV could be packed a bit better but pretty good for the most part, also worth rendering your UVs in face mode rather than just edges as its easier to tell what area is actually being used. Texporter is a good tool if you aren't using that
Nice, thanks. I'll also try to pack UV even tighter.

Quote:
The missile will need some optimization before exporting it as a projectile with also the missile UV being on its own texture sheet (take it from your comments you haven't UVed it yet, not clear?). I also take it the only time the missile will be seen is when the weapon is fired correct?
Roger that, missile doesn't have UV yet. I'll optimize it and UV on it's own texture sheet. Missile will be seen only after firing from weapon.

Quote:
As for the Deployable Version, ye I would have the tripod and other bits separate from the handheld version on their own sheet but the weapon itself using the same textures as the handheld version, unless you need any significant differences but if that's the case, best to use as much of the handheld texture as possible and just re-UV the bits that are different colours or w/e on the deployable version to the tripod sheet. Same goes for a vehicle mounted version too.
That's what I was thinking about. Thanks.
Old 2014-04-16, 10:19   #6
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]ddeo View Post
Nice, thanks. I'll also try to pack UV even tighter.
Tightness isn't the problem, you want to have good spacing between the UVs to avoid pixel bleeding (although I normally go OTT on my spacing since I'm normally packing LM UVs ) but more there are quite a few unused spots on your UV you could possibly put something in or increase the size of some of your UVs to use them

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 08:58   #7
ddeo
Retired PR Developer

Ok. I've slightly updated main (geom0) weapon UV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdvhsiv32vp0jon/spike.svg
Model can be viewed here (same link as in the first post): p3d.in - MR/LR Spike I've added color square texture to p3d, it shows now what size of elements have, unfortunately I can't easly paint UV itself (I'm using Blender for modelling and I couldn't find similar plugin to Texporter).

Here is the 3p (geom1) and static model with updated projectile model (also with color-square texture on): p3d.in - MR/LR Spike (3p, static and projectile)
3p spike UV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/odwm8yee11lgbsw/spike3p.svg (all islands are separate, because texture will be baked from geom0 model).
tripod Uv: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuvnzvcqwd...ike_tripod.svg
projectile UV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qc8p64v4u...projectile.svg

Anything else I should try to tweak?
Old 2014-04-20, 13:04   #8
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Is there a reason to have a different 3p model for the version with tripod than for the handheld version?

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 15:45   #9
ddeo
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
Is there a reason to have a different 3p model for the version with tripod than for the handheld version?
There is only 1 version.
Old 2014-04-21, 20:34   #10
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Oh shoot, I somehow got the impression that there are two

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
mr or lr, weaponspike