project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Old 2014-07-19, 14:28   #1
H.Maverick
I wanna be a DEV!
Supporting Member
Default Downgrading W8 to W7

Okay, so i decided to buy my mom a new PC, unfortunately the store only had W8 laptops.

I thought that i could teach her how to use it, but after 3 days of looking at that stupid thing, i want it to be a W7 instead, now i have a W7 CD that i can use, BUT the stupid laptop doesn't have a fricken cd-driver in it, so i was wondering is it possible to downgrade from W8 to W7 without a CD?
H.Maverick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-19, 14:55   #2
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer
Default Re: Downgrading W8 to W7

USB drive installation
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-19, 14:57   #3
H.Maverick
I wanna be a DEV!
Supporting Member

omg, how can i not have thought of that?! lol, thanks Psyrus
Old 2014-07-19, 16:40   #4
KillJoy[Fr]

Imo, Microsoft have made some really good improvement on Windows 8 especially on Windows 8.1 system it's more smoother and smart than Windows 7, really bad idea to downgrade (Imo of course).

There is theme wich simulate exactly the Windows 7 desktop and windows.

You can find the original .iso of Windows 7 on some torrent's website but stay away from TPB and stuff, i recommend you to check out a national one with good feedback.

When you have the .iso get an usb flash drives >= 4Gb and use the Microsoft tools :

Microsoft Store
KillJoy[Fr] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 13:21   #5
H.Maverick
I wanna be a DEV!
Supporting Member

Quote:
There is theme wich simulate exactly the Windows 7 desktop and windows.
Where can i find this? is it already on W8?
Old 2014-07-21, 13:32   #6
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Maverick View Post
Okay, so i decided to buy my mom a new PC, unfortunately the store only had W8 laptops.

I thought that i could teach her how to use it, but after 3 days of looking at that stupid thing, i want it to be a W7 instead, now i have a W7 CD that i can use, BUT the stupid laptop doesn't have a fricken cd-driver in it, so i was wondering is it possible to downgrade from W8 to W7 without a CD?
Why not install Classicshell?
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 13:36   #7
H.Maverick
I wanna be a DEV!
Supporting Member

lol, just did it as you typed that

That was a great piece of software
Old 2014-07-23, 08:17   #8
Death!
Supporting Member

http://images2.store.microsoft.com/p...B-DVD-tool.exe

Try this, it's simple and from Microsoft itself. You just need the ISO you want to burn to the USB drive and at least a 8GB flash drive. It will only burn 32 bits ISOs to the flashdrive if your system runs on 32 bits, same for 64 bits systems.

BTW, be aware that erasing the W8 from the related computer will wipeout the original W8 from it forever if it's OEM. You will pretty much lose the license you bought with the computer.
Death! is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-16, 05:20   #9
bren
Supporting Member

The info above is pretty straightforward but I'm going to write this in case you accidentally dink your OS and can't load it or receive trouble while doing it the "easy way".
  1. Reformat the USB Drive.
  2. Install the OS on the USB drive (see tutorials).
  3. Power your computer off or restart it with the USB/"CD" plugged in.
  4. Set it to start before the hard drive in the BIOS.
  5. Restart.
  6. I wonder what will happen now..

Pretty much get a decent USB stick with the recommended memory and install & format the Windows OS on it, there should be tutorials on legal installations floating around the web, I would link one but they differ between scenarios on the user's end.

After you have installed & formatted the USB correctly plug it in your computer so it is recognized upon restart/power off + power on, go into your BiOS and make it run before anything else does (in the event of an OS already being installed on the computer, so you would be running the "CD" before the "C:\ drive" which would eventually be formatted to a factory-like configuration as far as memory-wise).

I had to do a complicated method because I made a dingus move of damaging Windows 7 somehow and couldn't recover it through a CD method nor the given method above due to the inability to even log in my account, so I had to do something a little heavier.

This might not even help but I'm bored and wanted to give you some insight on what a alternative can be in some cases.
bren is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-16, 13:04   #10
Steeps
Supporting Member

Default Downgrading W8 to W7

You can disable most of the new Windows 8 features. I have Windows 8 on one of my computers and I have it boot into the regular desktop and it has a start menu.

I like it because it does run a bit better than 7 and still looks like it.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrading