project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
05 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2014-09-12, 17:50   #1
Pariah
Default How to get started?

Hello everyone. I just found out about Project Reality and just got everything installed. I am pretty excited to see that there are people that want to play a game in such a serious manner.
I want to know what I have to do to get started playing with everyone. What do I need to do, train? etc , etc.
I have a microphone too!

Please let me know!
Pariah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 18:12   #2
StevePl4y5
Default Re: How to get started?

Hello Pariah, welcome to PR.

First of all, make sure you read the manual to get familiar with all the features and controls of PR.

I would advise playing a few CO-OP matches with AI, to get familiar with the gameplay, weapons, kits and vehicles.

I would also advise checking out the Tactics and Strategies section of the forum (PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies - Project Reality Forums), and watching some YouTube videos for beginners.

If you're willing to go even further, I'd recommend signing up for Wicca's training (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...t-reality.html), I haven't done it myself, but I'm sure he'll show everything you need to know about PR.

Then you're ready to get in online matches. Just join a server with a good amount of players, preferably one that has a good ping and learn about their rules. Join a squad which has "INF" on the name, maybe even shout on the chat that you're new, experienced Squad Leaders are sometimes more than willing to help you out and will invite you to their squad. Make sure not to take on specialized roles at first, take simple things such as Rifleman and Medic, and please! DO NOT OPERATE VEHICLES.

That's it, you should be good to go.
See you on the Battlefield.
StevePl4y5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 18:34   #3
Pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePl4y5 View Post
Hello Pariah, welcome to PR.

First of all, make sure you read the manual to get familiar with all the features and controls of PR.

I would advise playing a few CO-OP matches with AI, to get familiar with the gameplay, weapons, kits and vehicles.

I would also advise checking out the Tactics and Strategies section of the forum (PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies - Project Reality Forums), and watching some YouTube videos for beginners.

If you're willing to go even further, I'd recommend signing up for Wicca's training (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...t-reality.html), I haven't done it myself, but I'm sure he'll show everything you need to know about PR.

Then you're ready to get in online matches. Just join a server with a good amount of players, preferably one that has a good ping and learn about their rules. Join a squad which has "INF" on the name, maybe even shout on the chat that you're new, experienced Squad Leaders are sometimes more than willing to help you out and will invite you to their squad. Make sure not to take on specialized roles at first, take simple things such as Rifleman and Medic, and please! DO NOT OPERATE VEHICLES.

That's it, you should be good to go.
See you on the Battlefield.
Thanks!

I signed up for the training and will read everything you posted.
Old 2014-09-12, 21:28   #4
Wicca
Supporting Member

Nice to see you pariah. And good on you to introduce yourself to the community

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 12:52   #5
LiamBai
PR Tournament Admin
PR Server License Moderator

The most important thing is to tell people you're new in the squad you join. Some squads may have a problem with this, if they're intending to do some 1337 5P3K-0P5 or something, but most people tend to be welcoming and will teach you as you go along.

Also, a few round on a co-op server to get the hang of the weapons and such can help quite a bit.

Liam: $ mkdir .ssh && chmod 700 .ssh
Vista: $: command not found
LiamBai is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 13:08   #6
Nightingale

This is what I tell players totally new to PR:

Join the infantry squads, and choose the rifleman class.

When shooting to kill, the amount of time you wait after aiming down sights is the single most important thing determining your accuracy. In this game, it takes a long time for the soldier to "steady" his weapon. On the M16A4 rifle, it's about 3.5 seconds. It is very very difficult to tell exactly how "straight" your weapon is just by looking at your screen. What I do is I aim down my sights, then wait at least 4.0 seconds before firing any rounds.

If you shoot any earlier than 3.0s, the gun may as well be shooting into the sky. The heavier the weapon is, the more time it needs for the soldier to "steady" it. For a medium-sized machinegun, I think 7.0s is about right. On a purpose-built sniper rifle, probably like 12.0s.

The sound of your gun firing is like an insanely strong magnet that draws the enemy towards you. Firing in full auto makes it very easy for the enemy to tell where you are shooting from, and what kind of firearm you are shooting with (also tells them if you are an enemy or one of them). But a single shot makes it a lot harder. It takes them a while to realize you are the enemy, and even longer to realize where you are shooting from. Whenever possible, only pop off only single accurate shots to keep them guessing. Full-auto is best reserved for close quarters combat.

Ask your teammates what the best way to identify the enemy uniform is. Don't stray more than 100 meters away from your squad leader. Shoot at what your teammates shoot at.

The rest is learning in-game from teammates via voice chat. The manual is certainly worth reading, but it cannot and does not cover every aspect of actually playing the game. Using your voice-chat and asking others how to do certain things is the best way to learn.

Enjoy your stay! I've played a lot of "realistic shooters" but for whatever reason this 2005-era mod still provides the gameplay that I find most enjoyable.
Nightingale is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 13:37   #7
Pariah

For some reason I only get 15 FPS when I join ANY server. I get 60-80 FPS when I play offline. So, I do not think I will be playing.
Old 2014-09-15, 10:39   #8
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Before you give up, check the Tech Support section in these Forums!
PR:BF2 Support - Project Reality Forums

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-15, 18:38   #9
Pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate(GER) View Post
Before you give up, check the Tech Support section in these Forums!
PR:BF2 Support - Project Reality Forums
The problem I am having is with any server I connect to giving me unplayable FPS. I can play it offline and get over 60. But, online it is less than 20.
I have a 5 Meg connection and am the only device on it. I can play other multi-player games just fine, including vanilla BF2.
All the servers I could fine are in S. America or the EU. I live in the US on the SE coast. So, maybe that is the issue?
Are there US servers? I have logged in a few times and not seen one. I wanted to do a co-op bot match to get comfortable with all the controls and settings.
Old 2014-09-15, 19:06   #10
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

PR is much bigger than Vanilla BF2, draw distance, textures, statics, etc. those are all factors to consider, especially the draw distance that goes up from like 50 or 100m on Karkand to 600 and above depending on map. PR pushes the BF2 engine to it's limitations and far above what it was originally intended for, it's no surprise for you to see the immense drop in FPS compared to off- and online. You're not the only one who's got atrociously low FPS, rest assured, but without a better rig, there's hardly anything that can be done I'm afraid.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
started