project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-01-30, 14:53   #1
matty1053
Default Intel or AMD?

Hi,

I am considering of getting a new PC and debating on what processor to get. I am primarily going to use it to game, but will be using it for modeling and just the basic PC use.

I'm thinking of getting one of these processors...

Intel one, Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell

Intel Two, Intel i5-4690K Haswell

OR

AMD one, AMD Processor FX-8350 BE Vishera 8-Core 4.0GhZ

AMD Two, AMD FX-6350

I heard both are good processors, but I'm primarily going to consider using it for ARMA 3, PR, and few others. I have seen posts saying: Intel is good for everything. Then, AMD is good for most games out there now.

I might just get a good Processor and a mid Graphics Card, since I don't plan to spend $700+ on a build. I think Intel processor has a decent price on it IMO. And the AMD of course lower price too. If anyone owns either one, how does it perform? Does it do well on ARMA 3 (If you own it), as well as other games such as Insurgency, and other games on steam?

Just want to know which one you guys recommend. Recommend different ones too!
I'm good on other components though.

Thanks a lot!
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-30, 17:01   #2
Geronimo
Default Re: Intel or AMD?

Hey there,

I have an i5 4690k and I can recommend it for ArmA 3. As you may already know A3 isn't really a game that's optimized for multi core processors so you may want to go with Intel.

In my (slightly biased) opinion the 4690k is currently on the upper end of the "sweet spot" regarding value for money.

Also have a look at this link:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
Geronimo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-30, 19:17   #3
Tequila
Supporting Member

Those Intel chips you linked destroy the AMD ones in gaming. Night and day difference.
The AMD cpus are ok and great if you are on a budget. If you have the funds though, Intel is the way to go.

Something something build a fob.
Tequila is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-30, 22:52   #4
MaSSive

The i5 4690 will do well, along with a solid GPU and a good SSD. The rest concerns you and tweaking your system to work well and run Arma3 well.

If you live close to Micro Center, here, save yourself a ~ $30...maybe get a good cooling solution.

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor 301283 - Micro Center
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-30, 23:03   #5
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hah, Massive you know you're spending too much time online volunteering tech support when you know the best prices for CPUs on a different continent.

(Been there, done that too)

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-31, 11:23   #6
MaSSive

Indeed. You are right. I have also been there and done that a while ago or you forgot. :P

Congrats on promotion - Lead
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-31, 23:30   #7
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1053 View Post
Hi,

I am considering of getting a new PC and debating on what processor to get. I am primarily going to use it to game, but will be using it for modeling and just the basic PC use.

I'm thinking of getting one of these processors...

Intel one, Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell

Intel Two, Intel i5-4690K Haswell

OR

AMD one, AMD Processor FX-8350 BE Vishera 8-Core 4.0GhZ

AMD Two, AMD FX-6350

I heard both are good processors, but I'm primarily going to consider using it for ARMA 3, PR, and few others. I have seen posts saying: Intel is good for everything. Then, AMD is good for most games out there now.

I might just get a good Processor and a mid Graphics Card, since I don't plan to spend $700+ on a build. I think Intel processor has a decent price on it IMO. And the AMD of course lower price too. If anyone owns either one, how does it perform? Does it do well on ARMA 3 (If you own it), as well as other games such as Insurgency, and other games on steam?

Just want to know which one you guys recommend. Recommend different ones too!
I'm good on other components though.

Thanks a lot!
Not sure where you looked; but AMD is worse in most games out there, not "good."
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 00:49   #8
wrecker
Supporting Member

Default Intel or AMD?

I also have a 4690k (brand new) and ive used it for Arma 3. It works brilliantly, but don't put your computer on low power settings and make yourself think the shit hit the fan and troubleshoot for hours like I did.
ps: if you are thinking of overclocking obviously get a good cpu fan or water system, or even if you aren't thinking of oc make sure your ventilation is good in your case because I came pretty near having a problem when I introduced my big ol GPU to my cramped case.
wrecker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 07:07   #9
Cossack
Supporting Member

My friend had AMD CPU for Arma 3 and he said it was pretty bad experience, CPU not handling it well (one of the FX series). He got i5, everything is smooth as heaven right now.

I myself went i5-4590 and I am very satisfied with its performance together with 970.

FYI I disregarded 970 issue with VRAM because I run one monitor at 1680x1050 resolution so I am not worrying about performance drop. Also BF 4 on Ultra looks pretty

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 19:26   #10
Microwaife

Intel all the way, imo. Had both and i find intel to be faster. So if you have dat money go for intel.
Microwaife is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
amd, intel