project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2015-02-16, 13:24   #1
Cassius
Supporting Member

Default CAS Laser guided does not mean Laser Lock

Again and again people have been confusing laserguided Missiles and laser targeted missiles (myself included) leading to messy CAS.

The weapon designated Laser is laser targeted. That means you use your own aircrafts laser to pinpoint where the weapon goes. You can redirect the weapon inflight by clicking elsewhere. The weapon designated TV is, well, the TV set you look at where you see the laser locks. Wait for the missile to lock on the laser before firing and it will hit.

I am not sure, but I do not think all weapons are designated in the same fashion but as a general rule, the first weapon in the cycle you select is laser targeted that means it goes where you click and the second weapon you select is laser lock, it locks on on a laser provided by ground forces and is fire and forget.

So if you have air to ground missiles on 3 and 4 and Paveway bombs on 5 and 6 then 3 and 5 are your laser guided weapons and 4 and 6 are your laser lock weapons (fire and forget) .

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 03:03   #2
Cassius
Supporting Member

Default Re: CAS Laser guided does not mean Laser Lock

Can one of the devs confirm on whether I got this right

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Old 2015-02-19, 11:49   #3
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

LT = Lock on given laser and fire away
LG = Missile flies where you click
TV = Same as LG

On some choppers LG/TV might act like wire guided missile (compare TOW). This is due to RL limitations of those.
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-21, 18:49   #4
Cassius
Supporting Member

the f15 has laser and tv which of the 2 locks on a laze?

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Old 2015-02-21, 19:30   #5
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

Laser locks on a laze and TV is click where you want to go.

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-21, 22:36   #6
Cassius
Supporting Member

thats whar i thought but it does not seem to be the case

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Old 2015-02-21, 23:24   #7
[R-DEV]Mats391
Supporting Member

It looks like that one isnt working. If i see it correctly, the TV one is unguided.
The problem with TV guided projectiles by pilot is the way the y work in BF2. To set the TV target you need to actually click with the mouse as you need to interact with a hidden HUD. Since a lot of players are using joysticks for jets this would create issues for them. They would not work w/o changing the Controls.con or mapping the joystick fire button to play a mouse click, both wont really be done by many.
Alternatively we could make them wire guided, but then that would be hardly useful as you would have to keep crosshair above the target.
I will check the F15 and see if we can get the TV guided working in someway. If you find any other vehicle with wrong/confusing setup of guided weapons, let us know. Either here or in the bug forums.
Old 2015-02-22, 11:03   #8
Cassius
Supporting Member

That one is a twoseater so the mouse is used. In the havok the first weapin is laser and point and click and the second weapon designatrd tv is a lock on weapin laser targeted. if its differrnt or the other way around in other assets it is confusing

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Old 2015-02-22, 16:50   #9
[R-DEV]Mats391
Supporting Member

Looking at it again, it should work. The first bomb(slot 2) should lock on lasers and the second (slot 3) should be point and click. Are you sure those dont work?
Old 2015-02-22, 18:34   #10
Spook
Supporting Member

They work on F15. What does not work properly are the Lazer guided bombs on the tornado. Even though it locks, bombs go into nowhere way too often, so I stopped using them and always TV guide them to the lazers myself.

Spook is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cas, guided, laser, lock