project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
03 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2015-04-12, 22:16   #1
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default German Tiger FLIR

The german tiger's FLIR, because of its location on top of the rotor is currently really bad visibility wise. The rotor flashing in front of you makes it really hard to see forward and honestly makes the gunner near-blind. The nose of the heli is already blocking your forward view and this really makes it a hard heli to use. It's the worst on thermals but is a big annoyance without aswell.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 23:37   #2
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Default Re: German Tiger FLIR

The GER Tiger is probably my favourite AH in PR because its just so different, not least of all because of the lack of a cannon and it's awesome disco ball. While it might not be as capable when employed in the same fashion as other AHs, particularly the traditional high angle attack, it does allow you to do some awesome stuff with unparalleled potency. Certainly your overall situational awareness as a crew improves with the 360' rotating mast.
I personally have had a great deal of success piloting the GER Tiger on Wanda Shan. The mast-mounted disco ball, coupled with the anorexic width and high manoeuvrability of the Tiger, means its a great piece of kit for hovering between 6m gaps in tree lines to ambush unsuspecting armour. I'd love to have a shot at using the same tactics on Silent Eagle!

The FR variant with cannon and cockpit mounted FLIR, on the other hand... Now that is kind of nightmarish! Especially with Xiangshan's view distance.

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 00:26   #3
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Mongolian_dude View Post
The GER Tiger is probably my favourite AH in PR because its just so different, not least of all because of the lack of a cannon and it's awesome disco ball. While it might not be as capable when employed in the same fashion as other AHs, particularly the traditional high angle attack, it does allow you to do some awesome stuff with unparalleled potency. Certainly your overall situational awareness as a crew improves with the 360' rotating mast.
I personally have had a great deal of success piloting the GER Tiger on Wanda Shan. The mast-mounted disco ball, coupled with the anorexic width and high manoeuvrability of the Tiger, means its a great piece of kit for hovering between 6m gaps in tree lines to ambush unsuspecting armour. I'd love to have a shot at using the same tactics on Silent Eagle!

The FR variant with cannon and cockpit mounted FLIR, on the other hand... Now that is kind of nightmarish! Especially with Xiangshan's view distance.
You've had a great deal of success piloting the Tiger <30m off the ground, where your flares are rendered useless and every single AT weapon and tank has angle on you? I'm sorry but I find this quite hard to believe. I do enjoy the tiger's differences too but the migraine-inducing thermals are not one of those lovable differences.
Old 2015-04-13, 22:05   #4
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
You've had a great deal of success piloting the Tiger <30m off the ground, where your flares are rendered useless and every single AT weapon and tank has angle on you? I'm sorry but I find this quite hard to believe. I do enjoy the tiger's differences too but the migraine-inducing thermals are not one of those lovable differences.
I wish I could remember the name of my gunner so he could back me up on this, but I kid you not, the RL pop-up tactic worked like a treat.

We only ever deployed flares when we flew at medium or high altitudes where there is no cover and where AA is inevitably looking for targets. We killed about 2 Type 95 SPAA, largely because they felt they were away from the main combat zone and were not alert at all. I can't even recall if we got locked by AA while at tree level.

I imagine it would have been really difficult for an AA to get a lock on us despite us being stationary, because 85% of the vehicle is behind dense forest. We only had about 4 different spots that had a good line of retreat behind hilly terrain, each looking out over the various clearings that make up the map. Not visible from the sides, I suspect because of all the trees and hilly terrain, the obstacles would have blocked and quietened the sound, giving the impression we were much higher and further away than in reality.
We were not engaged a single time by INF or armour the entire time we were 30m (more like 12m).
It was just like being a sniper team, I suppose, except with serious magnification, high speed, mobility and ATGMs. We didn't get a ruthless amount of kills like you might do patrolling, it was somewhere not short of 40-0 or 40-2.
I have to admit it is really quite stressful trying to maintain such a steady hover as to depress the bird into a forest between tress like that, but (except maybe for the Kiowa) it really is the best heli in PR for the job.

As for the FLIR, I've used it a bunch of times and it really hasn't proved much of an issue. Again, only with the French Tiger, which has its FLIR located above the cockpit and beneath the rotor blades, has it been a real issue.

Viirus mate, I urge you to have a go at doing exactly this with the GER Tiger and make it into one of your gameplay videos! I'd love to watch that.

Old 2015-04-13, 22:18   #5
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

While i see this tactic working on Wanda, i cannot picture it having any success on Silent Eagle. There isnt that much dense forest around. You might be able to use the hills in the east for that, but on the rest of the map you would be pretty exposed. Being matched against a Hind (or Havok?) isnt helping either. The HJ-8 Z9 is no real threat to the Tiger, the auto-cannon of Russian choppers however will rip you apart, especially if they attack you from above.
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 22:38   #6
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
I wish I could remember the name of my gunner so he could back me up on this, but I kid you not, the RL pop-up tactic worked like a treat.

We only ever deployed flares when we flew at medium or high altitudes where there is no cover and where AA is inevitably looking for targets. We killed about 2 Type 95 SPAA, largely because they felt they were away from the main combat zone and were not alert at all. I can't even recall if we got locked by AA while at tree level.

I imagine it would have been really difficult for an AA to get a lock on us despite us being stationary, because 85% of the vehicle is behind dense forest. We only had about 4 different spots that had a good line of retreat behind hilly terrain, each looking out over the various clearings that make up the map. Not visible from the sides, I suspect because of all the trees and hilly terrain, the obstacles would have blocked and quietened the sound, giving the impression we were much higher and further away than in reality.
We were not engaged a single time by INF or armour the entire time we were 30m (more like 12m).
It was just like being a sniper team, I suppose, except with serious magnification, high speed, mobility and ATGMs. We didn't get a ruthless amount of kills like you might do patrolling, it was somewhere not short of 40-0 or 40-2.
I have to admit it is really quite stressful trying to maintain such a steady hover as to depress the bird into a forest between tress like that, but (except maybe for the Kiowa) it really is the best heli in PR for the job.

As for the FLIR, I've used it a bunch of times and it really hasn't proved much of an issue. Again, only with the French Tiger, which has its FLIR located above the cockpit and beneath the rotor blades, has it been a real issue.

Viirus mate, I urge you to have a go at doing exactly this with the GER Tiger and make it into one of your gameplay videos! I'd love to watch that.
If a server ever plays that rare map I'll do that and post the result no matter what happens..

However I don't understand what the problem with the french tigers camera is? It seems better in every way to me.
Old 2015-04-13, 23:16   #7
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
If a server ever plays that rare map I'll do that and post the result no matter what happens..

However I don't understand what the problem with the french tigers camera is? It seems better in every way to me.
I think your maybe confusing the two?
This is our German friend, the UHT with the disco-ball, mast-mounted FLIR.

Very handy for taking cover behind and seeing over obstacles. Full 360' rotation and powerful magnification.

And this is his one of his French counterparts, a HAD with the FLIR sitting below the rotor and on top of the cockpit:

Iirc, it has near-180' rotation, poor negative angles and vision at positive angles is blocked by the very intrusive main rotor blades.

Old 2015-04-14, 01:43   #8
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
I think your maybe confusing the two?
This is our German friend, the UHT with the disco-ball, mast-mounted FLIR.

Very handy for taking cover behind and seeing over obstacles. Full 360' rotation and powerful magnification.

And this is his one of his French counterparts, a HAD with the FLIR sitting below the rotor and on top of the cockpit:

Iirc, it has near-180' rotation, poor negative angles and vision at positive angles is blocked by the very intrusive main rotor blades.
Negative angles are only poor if flown improperly. Angle of attack is all you need for good negative visibility. As for positive angle, nearly useless most times in attack helis at high altitudes.
Old 2015-04-14, 05:53   #9
Spook
Supporting Member

The Tiger, especially the german one is the shittiest AHE ingame, I always said. I try to avoid that thing at all costs. Not only that you can barely control that thing as soon as you enter the slightest pitch down angle but also because of said thermals. Trying to find targets with thermals on your own, especially INF in forests is almost impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
The HJ-8 Z9 is no real threat to the Tiger, the auto-cannon of Russian choppers however will rip you apart, especially if they attack you from above.
Tiger doesn't stand a chance against the Z9. Z9 is extremely agile and you can easily outmaneuvre the Tiger even if he is in a superior position. The HJ-8 have this much higher turn-radius due to their low speed(?) and makes it extremely easy to hit the Tiger with the first or second missile already.

I cannot remember that I ever got killed by a Tiger on Wanda.

Whatever the purpose of the top camera is RL (overtop attacks etc.) its nothing you can make use of in PR really and just gives you a disadvantage in almost all aspects of AHE gameplay. But I figured there is nothing much you can do to fix the rotor thing so I never reported it.

Spook is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 09:51   #10
Jacksonez__

Just a little offtopic: doesn't Kiowa 2nd pilot/spotter also have this kind of "discoball" FLIR? Hard to laze things in my opinion. But thats about it.
Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
flir, german, tiger