project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2015-06-24, 10:44   #1
MacCullock
Cool UH-1N unflyable via keyboard

With v1.3.1, this is probably true of all choppers but with 1.3+ I have only tried the UH-1N Super and Twin on Jabal Al Burj.

One MUST wait for the full whup whup affect, about 30 seconds after taking the pilot seat with the pilot kit. Apparently the good chopper pilots use a joystick, and PR veterans have given up on keyboard flying of choppers ever working.

My issues are with trying to use keyboard alone or keyboard with mouse to fly choppers. It is impractical to try flying them with the keyboard alone because the Arrow keys randomly fail to consistently control as the Manual describes. This should easily be testable by developers. Maybe they need to take an average keystroke out of the input stream every 0.2 seconds, or maybe the sampling rate needs to differ by control axis or airspeed.

With WASD and the mouse it is possible to fly them some times, though not very well. Perhaps every third try I can drop a supply crate on Jabal Al Burj atop the hill just east of the bridge, which I do for solitaire practice.

There are more random controllability problems with the keyboard but the worst with or without the mouse is:

Upon liftoff they often roll uncontrollably to the right (clockwise). This is not very predictable but does happen about every third or fourth liftoff, often enough that developers should be able to find the problem and eliminate it. I am using a USB mouse.

I believe choppers have been virtually impossible to fly in these same ways since about 0.7 several years ago, when I last played PR before 1.3.

Either there should be an obvious list of known issues on this website, or the PR Manual should so advise players if this will remain true.

By the way, THANKS for a great game!
Regards,
Mac
MacCullock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 10:51   #2
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: UH-1N unflyable via keyboard

Joysticks is pretty much pointless for a helis, trust me. Except for immersion, ofc.
Keyboard + mouse is most precise input you can get.

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 10:58   #3
StevePl4y5

Well, I've always flown with keyboard alone, sometimes with mouse and keyboard dependign on the situation, and I still do in 1.3. and it's fine for me. I mean, it's hard, would probably be better with a joystick, but if you practice long enough you'll be as good as a pilot with a keyboard as someone with a joystick.
StevePl4y5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 11:47   #4
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

Pretty sure manual mentions that A and D does very little when flying at "high" speed.
At least it used to.

If you wanted to turn fast in a chopper, you need to use the mouse.
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 23:48   #5
PricelineNegotiator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPoXoTauJIo View Post
Joysticks is pretty much pointless for a helis, trust me. Except for immersion, ofc.
Keyboard + mouse is most precise input you can get.
I have always flown A+D and my joystick in both jets and helis. With experience, you can get as minute or even better control than a mouse with the joystick - but I've been flying with it since 2005.
PricelineNegotiator is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 04:23   #6
Firepower01

I fly trans in PR a lot and exclusively use the keyboard.. Haven't had a problem controlling the UH-1N besides it being frustratingly slow.
Firepower01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 07:57   #7
viirusiiseli
Banned

Keyboard is not unflyable, it's just a getting used to it thing. See my channel from the signature. All I fly with is keyboard.

You do need to tap the keys a lot sometimes to be steady for attack helicopters but I don't see any problem to doing trans.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chopper, flight, keyboard, manual, uh1n, unflyable