project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-10-05, 17:02   #1
nine_lives
Default Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new system

I think the PCIe video slot is starting to fail in by current computer (Nvidia Nforce 790i with Intel Core 2 Extreme X9770 3.20GHz) so it's time for an upgrade.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on ordering a new bare-bones system and I can swap in my existing SSD, HDD, and video card

This is what I'm looking at getting:

Case - Thermaltake Chaser A21 Gaming Case
Motherboard - ASUS Z170-K
Processor - Intel i5-6600
Cooling - Asetek 510LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory - 8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR4-2400
Power - 700w

I'll swap in these from my old system
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Storage 250MB SSD and 1 TB HDD

I'm thinking that this will be a significant upgrade and will be able to run PR in full res smoothly along with new games to come

Thoughts?
nine_lives is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-05, 18:20   #2
Steeps
Supporting Member

Default Re: Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new system

Looks solid to me. Just make sure you price comparison that kit to each part individually and don't spend too much more:

Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker

If you find it's cheaper to buy the parts individually, you should. You will then be able to choose the exact case that you want.

Also on that note, you could even go with a Micro-ATX board (if you don't plan to SLI), such as the ASUS Z170M-PLUS then your case options really expand.

Last edited by Steeps; 2015-10-05 at 18:30..
Old 2015-10-06, 22:57   #3
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

Looks good! I wonder how well it will play PR.

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 17:11   #4
mutti_wilson

I would bump up to the 6600k for $40 more which is an unlocked CPU so you can overclock. With the Liquid cooler setup you have chosen you should be able to bump up the clocks a fair bit and stay cool and safe. PR is so CPU dependent that it's nice to have the ability to crank it up.
Last edited by mutti_wilson; 2015-11-05 at 17:20..
Old 2015-11-05, 18:06   #5
Steeps
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutti_wilson View Post
I would bump up to the 6600k for $40 more which is an unlocked CPU so you can overclock. With the Liquid cooler setup you have chosen you should be able to bump up the clocks a fair bit and stay cool and safe. PR is so CPU dependent that it's nice to have the ability to crank it up.
Actually yes, what this guy said. I didn't even notice.

There is absolutely no reason (as far as I know) to watercool a non-k Intel processor.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-05, 02:57   #6
Cassius
Supporting Member

You dont really need 700w for that. Get the dark power pro 550w . Its not cheap but worth it and really silent. The CPU is oversized for your graficcard but you will swap that sooner or later I guess. Dont get watercooling, if you research your components and get a muffled case you pretty much have a silent PC and if you put on a headset anyway while you play that bit of extra noise under load wont matter.

With watercooling you need 120 or 140 mm fans anyway for all that stuff that gets heated up but not cooled by the water like the electronic components, if you get a CPU cooler with a 120mm fan a quite quite PSU and graficcard with a muffled case you have pretty much the same noise level. The only thing in this scenario that costs a bit extra is the PSU. Wether you pick up a good fan cooler or a block for the CPU should be about the same or cheaper even.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
pull, ready, system, trigger