project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2016-01-02, 19:32   #1
mangeface
Supporting Member

Default Upgrade Parts

So I realized the other day my rig's about 4 years old and its age is starting to show. I've decided on the Intel i7-4790K (within my budget and got it for sub $300 at Micro Center). I'm thinking about plugging it into the MSI Z97 GAMING 5 mobo (I haven't heard anything bad about it).

The big thing I'm curious on is SSDs. I haven't bought one in years and curious as to what are the good ones out right now.

All other parts will be salvaged from my current build, AMD 7970 gpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, PSU should still have plenty of power to it (1000 watt 80 PLUS PLATNIUM) to run the new set up and 2 2TB WD Caviar Black HDDs (one is brand new, the other about a year old).
mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-03, 22:12   #2
Steeps
Supporting Member

Default Upgrade Parts

Tom's Hardware maintains a good list of best buys for SSDs (Updated in November, very relevant):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3269.html

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-04, 23:10   #3
mangeface
Supporting Member

Default Re: Upgrade Parts

Awesome. I had been looking at getting the Samsung 850, but this just reinforces my thoughts on getting it. Looks like some 850s it shall be!
Old 2016-01-05, 02:16   #4
matty1053

Got my SSD (Samsung EVO 850 250gb). I have OS installed on it, Squad, and PR. Rest of the stuff is on my 1tb HDD.

PR loads in a instant, and Squad seems to load quick as well.

If you constantly use a game, like play it everyday... I'd recommend installing it on your SSD.
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-05, 13:14   #5
Steeps
Supporting Member

I have an 850 Pro and everything is hilariously fast.

Old 2016-01-06, 02:38   #6
mangeface
Supporting Member

I'm getting a 250GB for my OS and a couple of 500GBs for DCS, ARMA and whatever else I may deem worthy of needing to be on an SSD. I'll still have 4TB of storage on WD Caviar Blacks and 1TB on a WD Caviar Blue.

My newest SSD is probably close to 3 1/2 years old, and I think back then it was about a $1 per GB ratio on SSDs. Sure is nice to see the price drop on them.
Old 2016-01-06, 13:09   #7
Steeps
Supporting Member

Why not just get a 1 TB drive? Multiple SSDs and HDDs sounds like a mess in a case and a hassle.

Old 2016-01-07, 00:33   #8
mangeface
Supporting Member

Eh, it's really not all that bad. I have 3 SSDs and 3 HDDs in my case right now and it's pretty clean inside. And my new case is a little bigger than my current.

As for why I do multiple, redundancy. I don't like throwing all my eggs in 1 basket. If one dies, I won't lose all of my gaming capabilities while waiting on a new drive.
Old 2016-01-15, 00:07   #9
mangeface
Supporting Member

Well, I managed to get a bead on a PNY GTX 970 in the local area for $280. Brand new in box. Just have to wait for the guy to get back into town.

Tags
parts, upgrade