project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2016-08-27, 02:58   #1
Imdruid
Default ATGM on Armored Vehicles detonating off Tree branches

I don't know if this is a new thing, but i have never had it happen in previous patches. I have had several ATGMs detonate in the tree branches far from a collision box of the tree. I have not had a problem with this before hand. A tank can also fire AP and HE rounds through these branches but ATGMs do not travel through these branches. Is this part of a nerf to the ATGM? if so it is rather unrealistic and very detrimental to armored warfare. i have had this problem with both the Russian T-90A and the German PUMA. These ATGMs although fired in a way to avoid tree hit boxes seem to hit them either way. If you want i can get a video demonstrating. But to do so is not needed because it is easily reproducable

-sincerely someone who has played since patch .50
Imdruid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 07:38   #2
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Given our tree Collision meshes didnt change this isn't anything new

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 09:21   #3
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: ATGM on Armored Vehicles detonating off Tree branches

How is this unrealistic?
Wire guided: When firing through tree branches it is very likely that the wire gets entangled or snaps
Beam riding: No line of sight, no guiding
They might not explode right away, but certainly wont work reliable when shot through tree branches. Chances of it hitting a thicker branch and detonating is also there. AP and HEAT shells dont care about loss of guidance and will likely just punch through that bit of wood thanks to their kinetic energy.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 12:57   #4
Barbrady

Is there a system ingame simulating a wire on ATGM, for example steering it around an obstacle?
Barbrady is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 13:11   #5
M42 Zwilling
Retired PR Developer

Not per se, though the guidance tends to get screwed if something gets between the target and the launcher. I've seen people firing an ATGM at a moving distant vehicle, and for a moment the crosshair passes over a close telephone pole. When this happens, the missile tries to figure out how to do a 180 turn and hit the telephone pole, and usually goes into the ground, to the confusion of the guiding player. I guess getting the wire wrapped around a telephone pole would produce a similar result.

"How many posts have there been about how much better PR was back in 0.X? The fact is that if we played the older versions we would start to remember the shortcomings, but we tend to hold onto the good memories tighter than the bad ones." - Murphy
M42 Zwilling is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
armored, atgm, branches, detonating, tree, vehicles