project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-11-14, 13:12   #1
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

Default Streamlining PR design elements - making PR a timeless game

The part where the bloody screen effect kinda ruins this scene made me think about the fact that even as PR DEVS have changed through eras, the basic effect taste has stayed. I understand that it requires work, and maybe the attitude has changed for these kind of changes - e.g., not reworking such design elements, but polishing the existing and changing the few just to keep this game up with time in a sence of not ruining it with flashy overcooked visuals, but by basically making the best of v_BF2 type of artfulness, but not overdoing it like in the "bloody screen effect".

Basically it involves very little work compared to total graphical overhauls and it would make this game more "timeless" as, for example, TF2 is just because it has embraced one type of graphics and it doesn't matter if it's 2010 or 2020 - the game will still be loved and played as it has the "legacy game" feel.

To me and others PR definetly is a legacy game at it's best. But that's because it has awesome, unforgettable gameplay that NO other game has EVER come close to. For the love of PR and it's future (that is certain) - make this game more timeless by streamlining the graphical aspect (animations are great tho and effects excellent for such an old game, and not in the over-the-topway).

I didn't post this in the suggestions forum as I want this to be seen by more people and mostly because it's really not a suggestion in the classical sense of the word, but more of a food for mind - a thought about PR, the pased and the time that will come eventually. And how it will look in 2020 and 2025. I know most DEVs don't look so far, but trust me this time will come, as today will fly by unnoticed. And of course there are present time benefits considering this subject, not only something that will come in the future. The more asesthetic the game will be "now", the more happy the players. The better the memories.

Also, thanks for the existing memories DEVs. And also any action to come in future.
Mouthpiece is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 13:41   #2
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Default Re: Streamlining PR design elements - making PR a timeless game

Hm, yeah. I had this discussion with a friend of mine the other week. We were discussing the AAS.

I know at least that the PR1.4 Python BETA did some changes to AAS which I would gladly see implemented. But as a whole AAS is not perfect. Mainly because on most maps holding and fighting over flags isn't really necessary. Rhino said this in another thread about the tickets bleed on most flags except the middle one, but it's in so few maps that people think it's a bug. The thing about getting a vehicle spawn when holding a flag was also tested but didn't stick.

(I say this again I have no idea what's coming in 1.4) but even systems in PR that might've been overlooked should always try to be improved. The devs have shown this on so many occasions too.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Arab; 2016-11-15 at 12:26..
Old 2016-11-14, 13:56   #3
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

Default Re: Streamlining PR design elements - making PR a timeless game

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
snip
Thanks for your input, sir. Really appreciate it. That's why I posted it in this section of forums.

I agree about the AAS. Or ASS, as I like to think of it. It's a good, competetive minded gamemode that just lacks a bit in the soul/natural flow section. Something more dynamic might be approved more. So I mostly agree. But I can't think of a solution. Playing with ticket dynamics might bring one.
Mouthpiece is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
design, elements, game, making, streamlining, timeless