project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2016-11-28, 21:08   #1
anantdeathhawk
Default [WIP] Admiral Kuznetsov

Heard someone was in Mediterranean. Making this for Russian forces to replace their sneaky cargo ship,and most importantly to learn how to finish it .Hope you all will help me.It's been a while since i have worked on it.

Screens:

Thanks.
anantdeathhawk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-28, 21:37   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [WIP] Admiral Kuznetsov

Hate to be a party pooper but I'm sorry to say that your not ready for such a massive project Anant.

Optimization is key and without it, the tri count gets blown out of the water, pardon the pun and on something this big, you have to optimize every step of the wa as the thing is too big to go back on afterwards and try and find all the spots you can optimize later, will mean so much time wasted and you will never find them all.

You also need to make this like a staticobject, which means working with texture palettes which means you model to textures, rather than texture to the model like you do with normal stuff, a totally diffrent way of working and something you do not want to be leaning on something so big and complex.

Finally if your aim is to replace the Russian Cargoship, then an Amphib Assault Ship, like the Ivan Rogov-class landing ships, would be better suited since they carry Helictopers and land vehicles, where a carrier can only really carry jets and choppers and currently, we have no Russian Amphib Assault maps that need jets, although ye, one could be put into the works, but then giving them any AAVs would mean still putting a cargoship in ideally to simulate a landing ship.

In all, think you've got some way to go before you can tackle anything this large and your other projects are far higher priority

EDIT: also encase you don't know, the Chinese aircraft carrier "Liaoning" is the same class as the Admiral Kuznetsov since they brought it off the Ukrain 3/4 built and then finished it hehe.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2016-11-28 at 21:54..
Old 2016-11-28, 22:03   #3
I-Omer-I

He can use the already existing aircraft carrier as a reference maybe?
I-Omer-I is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 22:32   #4
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Omer-I View Post
He can use the already existing aircraft carrier as a reference maybe?
Maybe,but Kuznetsov is much bigger carrier then Esex(is thet right name?). And,on the end he would need to think how Russian jets can land on carrier(arresting wire) and make it in game. So it would be really big project for one guy. Plua he would need to make MiG-29K and Su-33. But Kuznetsov and his Chinese brother would be great add to a game. We could see Chinese invasion of Taiwan from CV(I cant remember name),like Falklands(good idea I think). Sorry for my English(if I make some mistakes).
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-02, 22:00   #5
anantdeathhawk

To [R-DEV]Rhino:That ship seems to be out of service, i saw some other landing ships, but none had the helipads.Yes, i agree its very complex, i am trying to optimize it on every step also,and yes its not top priority,don't worry.I'll learn to make a static from you before proceeding on this.

To I-Omer-I:I am not exprienced in game development,just know how to get a shape by moving verts around.Still learning.

To Aleksa2000SM: Mig 29 and su 30/27 are already in game, just retexturing and adding canards to the su 30 will do, also if the load out changes then some new missles or bombs.
anantdeathhawk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-03, 02:10   #6
simeon5541

They have sets of collapsible wings with more hardpoints, different cockpits... to name a few differences... so it is unfortunately more than just retexturing job.
simeon5541 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-03, 02:55   #7
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantdeathhawk View Post
To [R-DEV]Rhino:That ship seems to be out of service, i saw some other landing ships, but none had the helipads.Yes, i agree its very complex, i am trying to optimize it on every step also,and yes its not top priority,don't worry.I'll learn to make a static from you before proceeding on this.
Indeed that ship is out of service now (although those did have helipads/hangers), and it seems all their other active landing ships don't have helipads.

TBH it seems Russia have no real Amib Assault force other than basic landing ships only capable of launching ground forces. They are currently developing a new Helicopter Assault ship called the "Priboy ["Surf"] Large Landing Ship" after their deal to buy the French Mistral-class fell though, but god knows when they will complete that, only in the concept stages so far:

As for optimizing, here is a quick example of my Frigate and it's pretty much 58k tris right now for LOD0, not including the RHIBs and you can see how few tris are actually spent on things like the hull etc and most of the tris go into the small details like the weapons, radars etc:

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-03, 11:48   #8
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I think this can be lower quality as it will be a static rather than moveable ship. I know the essex it not great quality, but I would be totally fine with a russian carrier with same quality.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-03, 12:05   #9
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
I think this can be lower quality as it will be a static rather than moveable ship. I know the essex it not great quality, but I would be totally fine with a russian carrier with same quality.
Essex is 43k tris all in including well deck and weapons (although not including ladders ), which would mean being the same sort of detail, we are talking around 60k for this ship too.

But the detail isn't the important thing, its the optimization, since a low detailed, but poorly optimized large model like this can easily blow that figure out of the water. My Frigate is only 58k tris with me optimizing the mesh as much as possible in every area and one would be hard pressed to find any tris which aren't needed for either shape or smoothing purposes.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2016-12-03 at 12:13..
Old 2016-12-03, 15:07   #10
Ivancic1941

Anatdeadhawk, i need to say it is not good to make anything new when you have already three projects up. THREE! Why not finish them, dont wait Rihno feedback, look it by yourself, look at internet videos try to optimise and clean your three project. Freeze this totaly only if someone makes map for it. That three projects can be used immideatly in maps while you will need to wait for this and loose your time. You are the boss, but this is friendly suggestion. Why not learning UV and texture or animate model? Then you will do modeling completely and could give it easily to coders and exporters. Try to do comparations by looking at similar wepons in PR

Edit for Rihno: Hey that liitle fast boats on your frigate, are they statics or they serve as life boats and will be used for that purpose(of course that 2 left and right not that one in middle )?
Last edited by Ivancic1941; 2016-12-03 at 15:13..

Tags
admiral, kuznetsov, wip