project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2017-10-21, 11:13   #1
Filamu
Supporting Member

Default Faction variety

There is the thing that Russia is common on most maps. Unless my counting is bad, Russia is present on 18 out of the 52 maps. If you compare it to the other main factions you have China with 7 maps, and MEC with 9.

I get that a lot of it is mapper preference and all that, but maybe one could think of other scenarios that placed either MEC or Chinese forces in Russian areas. If all of these three factions were attacked by American and NATO forces, is it not natural to assume they would work together?

The US forces are absolutely everywhere, what would stop a MEC division to transfer to Europe and fight battles here? Same with China, there are rails and roads connecting all three.

I have no idea how hard it would be to swap factions on any map, or if mappers would want to, but it might be a idea to get a little more variety. At least I would love to see MEC fighting in dense forests. It could be interesting to discuss at least.
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-21, 19:37   #2
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Faction variety

You can only have factions with the same voices on the same teams on maps.

If you want russia on a map, you can only off faction for example with Militia. Much like MEC maps have Hamas and insurgents on it. It would be pretty weird to have MEC soldiers speaking russian.

FFG is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-21, 20:18   #3
[R-CON]​Fastjack
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
If you want russia on a map, you can only off faction for example with Militia.
Russia and Militia using different languages. It sounds similiar but isn't the same.
Fastjack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-21, 20:30   #4
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Think he means to entirely swap a faction, not just on a layer ('cause then you're indeed stuck with the voices). Swapping a faction means changing a single line in the map's init.con. But obviously you'd also have to redo the vehicle layouts.

I would welcome a map that features MEC on woodland, or China on desert, or -insert here-. It just takes someone to come up with the idea... and the map that goes with it.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-21, 22:06   #5
[R-CON]​Fastjack
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
I would welcome a map that features MEC on woodland, or China on desert, or -insert here-.
Sbeneh Outskirts RU vs FSA and a 2nd layer RU vs ISIS like representing the involvement of russian troops in syria.

Also a nice idea would be MEC vs Taliban where MEC represents the afghan goverment troops.
Fastjack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-22, 00:28   #6
Filamu
Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm talking about f.ex having MEC fight on Route E106 instead of Russia, or China being on Yamalia instead of Russia. To get variety without making new maps. Making 9 new maps to even out the MEC vs Russia numbers probably won't happen.
Of course, the mapper decides, but maybe they can be convinced?

I'm aware of the double factions language limitations so those match-ups should stay the way they are.
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-22, 00:32   #7
IronFist

That's a great idea, it would be quite refreshing to see some faction variety on some already existing maps (if the creator of the map will allow it of course).
But since MEC, China and Russia are working against NATO then what is Black Gold?
IronFist is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-22, 16:04   #8
BlackGus

but is possible to change lenguage in the maps?
some ideas: Pavlosky bay: EEUU defending vs Invasion of China
Fools Road; Rusia vs Duth forces
BlackGus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 09:06   #9
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Didn't I make a thread similiar to this already? My solution was different though.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...r-faction.html

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 12:21   #10
SShadowFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGus View Post
but is possible to change lenguage in the maps?
some ideas: Pavlosky bay: EEUU defending vs Invasion of China
Fools Road; Rusia vs Duth forces
You can change language if you change the factions entirely on the map, so Pavlovsk would only have the US vs China and no US vs Russia anymore, same with Fools Road and Russia vs ND instead of GB vs Militia.

In the case of Fools Road, if you were to replace Militia with Russia in some layer you could have the Militia still in some layer (like Black Gold), as the Militia is Eastern European it wouldn't be an issue to have them speaking Russian, same goes to the US and Canada, as they use the same voice files it's not a problem using them interchangeably.

Switching factions and vehicles in a map can be done in a few minutes, I've tried doing it for an event on an old server but the server ended before the event could take place, so I never got to test it in practice, it did work locally Devs please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these changes are just serverside, so a server can in theory change all the factions on some map and have people play them without having to download anything, only catch would be that the server would need to have a password.
Last edited by SShadowFox; 2017-10-23 at 12:27..

Tags
faction, variety