project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Bugs
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Bugs If you find a bug within PR:BF2 (including PRSP), please report it here.

Closed Thread

Old 2018-02-06, 19:08   #1
ForestBrother
Default AS565 MB Panther TADS lase not working (Operation Marlin)

Hello,

I was playing as the french (against HAMAS) on Marlin in HOG today, and I got into the mentioned transport helicopter. There was a seat, where I could use the lasing computer, but when I tried to lase something, it didn't work. I hope this information will help to improve the game and it's assets.
Old 2018-02-06, 21:33   #2
BubblyNinja
Default Re: AS565 MB Panther TADS lase not working (Operation Marlin)

What exactly are you gonna lase? There is no CAS. Other than the pilot (whose aircraft has no weapons mind you) and squad leader binos no one else is gonna see your lase. Other than pointing out where an enemy is to the pilot (which you could instead do by speaking) its a rather useless feature to have on that layer/map so it not being present is fine imo

Operation Marlin - INS STD
Operation Marlin - AAS INF

and if your intent is to use that transport chopper to lase targets instead of actually transporting troops then you're wrong.
Last edited by BubblyNinja; 2018-02-06 at 21:50..
Old 2018-02-07, 08:19   #3
ForestBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyNinja View Post
What exactly are you gonna lase? There is no CAS. Other than the pilot (whose aircraft has no weapons mind you) and squad leader binos no one else is gonna see your lase. Other than pointing out where an enemy is to the pilot (which you could instead do by speaking) its a rather useless feature to have on that layer/map so it not being present is fine imo

Operation Marlin - INS STD
Operation Marlin - AAS INF

and if your intent is to use that transport chopper to lase targets instead of actually transporting troops then you're wrong.
I was not the one flying, I was a passanger myself. So, why if you say so (that that computer is useless), why add a lasing computer to a passenger seat in this helicopter? It's not logical then, and it's a waste of developer work.
Old 2018-02-07, 15:54   #4
BubblyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBrother View Post
I was not the one flying, I was a passanger myself. So, why if you say so (that that computer is useless), why add a lasing computer to a passenger seat in this helicopter? It's not logical then, and it's a waste of developer work.
Its a French Navy/Marine variant of the AS565 Panther so to keep with the "Reality" aspect of Project Reality the computer model in the aircraft itself seemed necessary to the DEVS and is not a waste of developer work if we actually noticed the attention to detail.

And IRL the computer itself isn't just for FLIR/TADS as it is a maritime patrol and surveillance aircraft meaning it includes FLIR/TADS, radar, thermal imaging, night vision display, etc..

Aircraft in-game such the US and Canadian "Twin Hueys", Opsrey, Griffon, Dutch NH-90, and the French Panther IIRC are the only transport aircraft that include a TADS camera/computer but have no lasing capability. This feature is also included within a passenger seat.

But that's beside the point. You were hoping that it could improve the game and its assets but how so? In what way will it be utilized to make it even worth adding to the DEVS? If anything adding lasing capability to transport aircraft is a waste of developer work. The tactics and playstyle of players in PR now don't warrant its use so whats the point?
Old 2018-02-07, 16:15   #5
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

It's not intended to be able to laze, it's a camera.

Closed Thread

Tags
as565, lase, marlin, operation, panther, tads, working