project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
30 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2021-04-16, 16:26   #1
[R-DEV]​Unicode
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Administrator
Default Remove/relocate unnecessary/annoying prompts

1. Remove unnecessary prompts:

"Team vehicle damage!" which ruins a lot of clips, often appears if you hit a friendly truck with a grenade or a rifle, you don't need that in firefights. If a noob decides to shoot at a friendly asset with a lat/hat/tow/apc/etc, it's already too late for this message anyway. It's a remnant from bf2, lets minimize the hud a bit more.

"Maximum number of squads reached" - completely useless, you'll know when you check/try anyway

"No draggable body nearby" - completely useless, people already know how dragging works, and if it doesn't - the guy is obviously dead dead

"You must crouch to drag a body" - it's all in the manual, or squadmates will tell you/you'll figure it out easily. If you guys think this is necessary, just move it down to the second list vvv

2. Relocate annoying prompts

"Your kit has been ALLOCATED and is at your feet"
(could be shortened to just "Your kit has been ALLOCATED at your feet")
and ALL kit request related prompts, like:
"You need at least 4 soldiers in your squad"
or
"You can't request this kit so soon after you last"
or
"All of these kits have been issued"

also
"A player joined your squad"
"A player left your squad"
"A player has been kicked from your squad"
"Asset being deployed..."
"Read your field manual and try again later"
"You must JOIN A SQUAD"
"You have to leave squad A first to join squad B"
etc
should be moved to the LOWER LEFT CORNER of the screen. It's not only to qualify more clips into my cinematic montages, it's also a little step forward to make the HUD more tidy.

Moving them between the voice chat name space, and the vehicle icon will be a good change in my opinion, what do you think?

https://imgur.com/YWSXSUX
https://imgur.com/fNgGHx6
https://imgur.com/CAGqP04
https://imgur.com/oiil3l9
Unicode is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-24, 11:43   #2
Grump/Gump.45
Default Re: Remove/relocate unnecessary/annoying prompts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicode View Post
1. Remove unnecessary prompts:

"Asset being deployed..."
"Read your field manual and try again later"
"You must JOIN A SQUAD"
"You have to leave squad A first to join squad B"

https://imgur.com/YWSXSUX
https://imgur.com/fNgGHx6
https://imgur.com/CAGqP04
https://imgur.com/oiil3l9
All this is useful for new players. If we had a option to turn off ALL prompts then we wouldn't know if the asset is telling us "try again later" or "read field manual again", cause it would be nice to know if the TOW placement is giving us problems. Saves a few seconds rather than waiting to see it didnt work or even longer to figure out it cant work right there. Maybe if we had a list of the prompts in an option tab to check/uncheck the box next to for which notifications we want.

From my perception it happens because either spamming the asset placement function too fast, too soon after a failed placement, says "try again" for HMG when MAX is down before giving correct maxed out prompt(for reasons of prompt penalty because you didnt check/communicate with eyes or other guys if it was there, also for other SLs actions of asset placement without using it, natural penalty for their non-communication) or placing at the same time as another Squad leader.

Which when it comes to squad leader placing assets at the same time, i detect this passive aggressive dominance when it comes to the less intelligent guy placing assets too close together in bad positions and spamming it. That is why these prompts with their functions are useful also for the better squad leaders un-affected by it because they know(have intelligence of) how to avoid it happening. When the bad squad leader spams asset placement (as if they are smarter or more dominant) i cant take the time to spread assets out or place it because another squad "leader" is spamming the asset placement faster and closer together maxing it out in the area for what can be placed before i can spread enough out.

With these squad leaders, vehicles drive right up to blocked caches buildings marked by obvious roadblocks when instead the vehicle could have been blocked from the street entirely. On top of vehicle blocked the cache building could be decoyed by roadblock placement not on it, fighters with lots of ammo boxes in surrounding buildings drawing enemy in to clear/check that building as if it were a cache losing tickets to a false cache building. When we have these squad leaders allowed to dominate asset placement because they are lazy and un-intelligent this is what we miss out on, easy to accomplish tactics by positioning things and players right, they do their usual shooting/killing after order givin. In their mind it takes too much time and coordination, it happens naturally with given orders to occupy buildings/fighting positions extending from the cache.

I take time to run around spreading assets out so mortars take longer to destroy. Squad leaders who refuse to listen or straight ignore the explanation of logic related to incoming munitions of why to spread things out ruin this by placing too fast without thinking. The prompts as a result of spam helps the team be saved from these careless squad leaders or else it ends up with everyone dying quicker in one place that needs to be mortared rather than 2 or more spots.

If SL gets mad because somebody removed their un-dug badly placed assets it speaks volumes on them because somebody challenged their un-intelligent ego with the action of removing it which says "somebody thinks they are wrong". They get just as mad as if they took the time to dig something that isnt even dug, but actually they are mad because their lazy mind perceives the time taken (2 seconds) to spam badly placed assets as an inconvenience compared to the minute i take to run around placing assets. Not aware that their placement of it affected the not-lazy squad leader running around spreading assets. This is where the game prompts for penalty help me.

Its the same long time players who never learn basic spreading things out, they dont examine what happened to cause their death quicker the last time, no solution to try to last longer. Thats why when I try to explain what could be done better next time they always say "its in the past, its over, done with" because they cant sit there letting somebody say they were wrong.. Basic SL functions like picking up on the fact spamming asset placement leads to the "read field manual again later".. "try again". It goes hand in hand with their in video game laziness, their rush mentality of everything must be done in 5 seconds, they dont manage number of people digging a single foxhole/TOW(grenade risk) when everything could pop up and be done at the same exact time without risk of everyone getting grenade on one asset then nothing gets done.

Im about to start telling people to do 50 push ups after every round if they dont want to watch the Squad Teamwork playlist, maybe their mind will get less lazy, less impatient, more blood flow to brain if they stress their body and mind out with nice slow pushups. Maybe a little self punishment for failure, just short of self loathing.. for letting down or ignoring the person trying to teach you what will go wrong and all the people echoing it. Worded prompts and the language of incoming shells wont teach them to spread assets out by running from place to place in the cap zone, they would deal with the prompts a lot less if they did it this way instead of spamming it close together very fast.

Its nice to have a "Read Field manual again" for these spammers of badly positioned and area attack/mortar bunched assets. This game sadly punishes the good players who take time to spread things out because it allows bad players to place assets fast close together which could be spread out by the good player. But that requires not being too lazy to run in a video game, requires thinking to take time to spread assets out to run.
Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2021-04-24 at 12:07..
Old 2021-04-24, 14:10   #3
[R-DEV]​Unicode

Okay, but you went off topic and your KDR is negative
Old 2021-04-24, 16:43   #4
SemlerPDX

Maybe it would be smarter to have an option to disable rather than remove for everyone. Advanced players well familiar enough and those trying to record video could just disable the prompts option, that way new players still have this rather important information still on by default to help train them up to your level.

Positioning and contrast might be some helpful additional options, for visibility and placement.

Just some thoughts...

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-25, 01:38   #5
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Okay, but you went off topic and your KDR is negative
No, I clearly explained how it helps in those situations directly related to prompts in the bigger picture of game play issues. The squad leaders placing assets, spamming it close together fast, but not fast enough to cause a prompt fast enough. They display laziness, no intelligence and what do you call it when someone ignores the larger/smarter squads request to stop spamming all the assets down so a few seconds more time can be taken to spread it out.

Everything i said ties into prompt functions and their usefulness of noob squad leader versus squad leader who takes time to spread assets, even the push up suggestion and all the potential change aside from muscle I listed it could cause(self-discipline, self-punishment, blood flow to brain, less impatience with time). Without the prompts for spamming assets it takes fast asset placement dominance away from bad squad leaders who wont listen to spread things out.

Just like that transpilot guy who i never see in game you revert to false accusations of low KD when I shoot peoples legs for advantage under tables, point my legs towards grenades to survive very close and listen for footsteps to knife from camouflage in the woods. If anything i say goes off topic, it usually ends up just being a useful tip, lesson or concept to apply in the game. Sometimes it points out a constant issue in the game that I naturally word out.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-25, 13:50   #6
[R-DEV]​Unicode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
No, I clearly explained how it helps in those situations directly related to prompts in the bigger picture of game play issues. The squad leaders placing assets, spamming it close together fast, but not fast enough to cause a prompt fast enough. They display laziness, no intelligence and what do you call it when someone ignores the larger/smarter squads request to stop spamming all the assets down so a few seconds more time can be taken to spread it out.

Everything i said ties into prompt functions and their usefulness of noob squad leader versus squad leader who takes time to spread assets, even the push up suggestion and all the potential change aside from muscle I listed it could cause(self-discipline, self-punishment, blood flow to brain, less impatience with time). Without the prompts for spamming assets it takes fast asset placement dominance away from bad squad leaders who wont listen to spread things out.

Just like that transpilot guy who i never see in game you revert to false accusations of low KD when I shoot peoples legs for advantage under tables, point my legs towards grenades to survive very close and listen for footsteps to knife from camouflage in the woods. If anything i say goes off topic, it usually ends up just being a useful tip, lesson or concept to apply in the game. Sometimes it points out a constant issue in the game that I naturally word out.
I don't think the asset deployment prompts have much influence on how people spread them out..

Also I'm aware that from a noob's perspective the prompts are helpful, so the best solution would be:
- make it an option to hide the ones not useful for experienced players
- move all prompts that are still useful to the lower left corner of the screen, so the screen is less cluttered

Lastly, it's not a false accusation. Your KD is negative and you can check that yourself. So while you have a lot of knowledge about combat, most of it doesn't apply well in PR
Old 2021-04-25, 15:46   #7
WingWalker

I don't see the messages as a problem at all, I like knowing things...
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-26, 06:17   #8
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
I don't think the asset deployment prompts have much influence on how people spread them out..
There is a big difference between "Try again in a moment" and "Maximum number reached" if the message is gone, you can only guess. Similar for kit requesting. You might be requesting too soon or your desired kit is currently not available.
Most of the messages you posted about, I do not see as unnecessary. They all give information that is useful.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-26, 19:19   #9
[R-DEV]​Unicode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
There is a big difference between "Try again in a moment" and "Maximum number reached" if the message is gone, you can only guess. Similar for kit requesting. You might be requesting too soon or your desired kit is currently not available.
Most of the messages you posted about, I do not see as unnecessary. They all give information that is useful.
I'm sure you know which are useful better than me, I don't even want to discuss which should be removed and which should stay. The most important request here is moving them down to the lower left corner.
Old 2021-04-27, 15:49   #10
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Lower left is Mumble

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote