project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Chilean Forces 1978
07 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Chilean Forces 1978 Discussion pertaining to the Chilean Forces 1978 community faction.

Old 2021-11-03, 01:19   #1
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978 Faction Lead

Default [MAP] Operation Soberania(4KM)[WIP]

Planned Forces:

Chile vs Argentina

History:

Operación Soberanía (Operation Sovereignty) was a planned Argentine military invasion of Chile that started on 22 December 1978 due to the Beagle conflict dispute. The invasion was halted after a few hours since the operation began and Argentine forces retreated from the conflict zone without a fight.

The plan of the operation itself remains classified to this day but thanks to interviews and some leaks, several things are known about the operation:

The Argentines planned amphibious landings to seize the islands southwards of the Beagle Channel, along with massive land-based attacks

1.- at 20:00 on 22 December 1978 a task force of the Argentine Navy and the Argentine Marines ( Batallón N° 5 ) would seize the islands Horn, Freycinet, Hershell, Deceit and Wollaston.

2.- at 22:00 on 22 December 1978 the Argentine task force (with Naval Infantry Battalions N° 3 and N° 4) would seize Picton, Nueva and Lennox islands and secure the east mouth of the Beagle Channel for the navy.

3.- at 24:00 on 22 December 1978 the invasion of continental Chile would begin. The Fifth Army Corps would seize Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales, the largest two cities of the Chilean Magallanes Region.

4.- at daylight 23 December 1978 the Argentine Air Force would begin attacks against Chilean Air Force.

5.- Later, Third Army Corps under the command of Luciano Benjamín Menéndez would start an offensive through the Andean passes to seize Santiago, Valparaíso and the Los Lagos Region."

So technically all of the maps planned are happening during Operation Soberania, but the map that will bear the name of the operation itself will be the one from step 3 of the operation, in the Strait of Magellan as this is where the first major clash between tanks, aircraft and infantry were bound to happen.

During Operacion Soberanía, Argentina had over double the tanks that Chile had and several dozen more planes (including their own carrier, the ARA 25 De Mayo) which had Chilean air strips set as their targets so they could gain air superiority by destroying the Chilean Air Force on the ground. To represent this im planning to give Chile 1 or 2 less tanks than the Argies and the Chilean CAS bomber will be placed in an airfield outside DOD, making it destructable before take off. Of course, for obvious balancing reasons the multirole Chilean jets will be in a protected base; and to fight against armor Chile will recieve a Jeep equipped with an M-40 Recoiless Rifle. This would be the standard layer and im planning to make a less historical layer to get a straight forward balanced 4KM map experience. All of this is subject to change.

Assets: fighter and bomber aircraft, transport helicopters, tanks, light armored APCs, Half-tracks, transport trucks, 1 logi truck per team (maybe), transport boats, attack boats and logi boats.

The armor will clash on the northern side of the map, with the southern side relegated to the infantry with the support of the halftracks and other light vehicles but there will always be at least 1 flag that is in the northern part of the map so armor isnt left out. the terrain on the north has alot of ups and downs so there should be plenty of cover for infantry even in the open plateaus, in the south side in the central mountains there are a bunch of little valleys for infantry close quarter fighting and a forest is currently being added in the area. The most exposed part of the map is the central flags where the magellan strait is smallest, so things like the houses, trucks, small hills, and the wrecked cargo ship were added to provide more cover and make a sort of an artificial bridge between both sides of the strait so that way not only you can come from the south or north, you can also come from west and east on boat or get in the cargo ship.

So far the only layer that i currently have has the following assets per team:

Chile:
2 x boats
1 x LCVP
1 x LCVP Logistics
2 x Barcelo Class Torpedo Boat (Swiftboat as PH)
1 x M15A2 jeep with MG
2 x transport M15A2 jeep
1 x jeep + M40 recoiless rifle (SPG Techie as PH)
3 x UNIMOG 426 tranport trucks (M-35 as PH)
2 x M-3 halftracks
1 x M113 APC
2 x M-41 Walker Bulldog tanks (M48A1 as PH)
1 x UH-1D transport heli
1 x H-34 transport heli
2 x F-5 Tiger jets (F-16 as PH)
1 x Hawker Hunter FGA. Mk 71 Fighter Bomber (Skyraider as PH)

Argentina
2 x boats
1 x LCVP
1 x LCVP Logistics
2 x Higgins 78 ft PT Boat (Swiftboat as PH)
2 x volkswagen t1 transport
3 x M-35 tranport trucks
2 x M-3 halftracks
1 x LVTP-7
3 x M4 Sherman Repotenciado tanks (M4a3 as PH)
1 x UH-1D transport heli
1 x CH-47 Chinook transport heli
1 x A-4C jet
1 x A-4Q jet
1 x Mirage III jet

The map takes place in several 70´s argentine and chilean towns, you might recognize a familiar airport that managed to get into the map . The Magellan strait is also a major bridge between the pacific and atlantic ocean in south america so thats why you will be seeing a couple of cargo ships passing through.

Other pictures:

WIP video:

Thanks for reading
Last edited by ismaelassassin; 2021-11-03 at 10:20.. Reason: Added some extra pictures
Old 2021-11-03, 01:33   #2
[R-COM]ismaelassassin

Default Re: [MAP] Operation Soberania(4KM)[WIP]

Main stuff to keep working on the map:

-Add Overgrowth
-Fix Undergrowth colour (it looks black in game)
-Fix Rio Grande Air Base Runway and overrall make it look better (check video)
-make Chilean outside map Air base
-Edit the outside map terrain
-Add Lightmaps
-Fix the water (after the light maps)

Last edited by ismaelassassin; 2021-11-03 at 10:21..
Old 2022-04-03, 00:05   #3
[R-COM]ismaelassassin

Hey There! Ive been updating the map from time to time and i thought i could show you what has been changed. First off all, Undergrowth and Overgrowth has been added, the secondary terrains have also been customized and textured, after having run into some problems trying to load them and have a proper border with the main terrain. Now that i have the outside terrain you can use the tall Andes mountains and the Archipelago as cover for Nap of Earth attacks

WW2 Statics have been added to give it that rural 70s Patagonia vibe, Rio Grande Airbase Runway has been added to by editing it out of the Argentinean terrain on Falklands and making it into a custom static so it goes from inside the primary terrain to the southern secondary terrain. This, of couse, will cause Z-Fighting problems but is better than having the runway being purely dirt.

From now on i will have to concentrate on making the Chilean out of bounds Airbase and give the map more details (adding more statics, overgrowth, texturing, etc).

Special Thanks to Ason for helping me out with fixing the secondary terrain and understand smaller details
ismaelassassin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-10, 21:12   #4
[R-COM]ismaelassassin

Map has been updated. We are in need of some feedback. Download it here:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152050
Old 2022-06-11, 16:14   #5
UncleSmek

more bushes and building please
UncleSmek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-18, 17:16   #6
Operator_Max1993

absolutely beautiful
(also noticed that Indonesian and Chilean forces are in the community factions )
Operator_Max1993 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-21, 23:42   #7
Kevokpo

Very nice addon, looking forward to it
Kevokpo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-10, 07:10   #8
[R-COM]ismaelassassin

Talking Re: [MAP] Operation Soberania(4KM)[WIP]

Its been a while! lately i have been pretty busy but i still managed to squeeze out some time and i´ve kept (and still am) adding details, there still some work to be done but now its a good time as any to make an update! :

Minimap:

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated! I´ve already implemented changes suggested by you guys! So feel free to test the map out and tell me what you think?

Download in the following link: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...80#post2218280

Old 2022-11-10, 11:07   #9
Coalz101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaelassassin View Post
As always, feedback is greatly appreciated! I´ve already implemented changes suggested by you guys! So feel free to test the map out and tell me what you think?
[/URL]
When is the playtest? That's all I'm waiting for.
Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-30, 18:11   #10
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

• I did enjoy the map. Seems like a good version of the Falklands maps. A lot more terrain to use. Though I did only fight on the northern part of the map.

• I'm not sure about the historical layer with like 12 flags. I know it probably means a lot to you but generally these layers rarely work...

• Straight up make a WW2 + vietnam layer please, I don't care it doesn't make sense. It so nice seeing tanks battling it out without hyper zoom optics and thermals.

• I crashed like 4-6 times seemingly for random reasons. This could've been to a weird thing with my graphics card. I will update on this when i give this map another lookover in local at some point, so I can know for sure the reasons for it - for more feedback too.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chile, faction, map, video, wip