project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2023-02-25, 06:15   #1
dcm
Default French Infantry

I've always felt that the French faction was ever so slightly underpowered in PVP. Mainly due to their 25 round primary weapon magazines and lack of a proper grenadier kit.

I believe that the FAMAS needs the RPK treatment. Give all combat roles two extra 25 round magazines. Or up the mag count for the FAMAS to 30 rounds. Trust me two extra magazines will go a long way.

Grenadier just isn't competitive in most situations. He doesn't have a scoped variant. He doesn't have enough launched grenades. And his range is very poor for a grenadier(I've been told that rifle grenades have more splash that standard 40mm grenades. but I've never noticed it). He does have one unique characteristic. A launched Anti-Tank grenade. Which is cool but rarely used as intended. ALT grenadier gets an extra AT grenade at the cost of two launched frag grenades. In most cases it's a bad trade-off to make. I'd further differentiate the grenadier kits so that STD, no longer has any AT grenades at all, but much more rifle frag grenades(maybe 4?). And ALT grenadier retains both his AT grenades, but also gets an extra two frag rifle grenades.

Also, aren't rifle grenades technically usable by all FAMAS variants with/without the grenade launcher sight? I believe it would be a cool idea to explore, to give certain iron sight, non-grenadier, combat roles; the grenadier's FAMAS with launched rifle grenades too. Say for example the ALT Rifleman. Instead of having two hand frags. Maybe give him one hand tossed frag and one frag rifle grenade. Maybe give the ALT LAT kit an AT rifle grenade in exchange for a hand tossed frag. Or possibly have the ALT HAT kit rock AT rifle grenades too, in exchange for some FAMAS mags(HAT rarely gets involved in direct infantry combat so it doesn't bother me). Maybe you could make an Iron sight only french team where the ALT versions of kits all have the grenadier's FAMAS and launched rifle grenades instead of hand tossed grenades.

Snipers and Marksman have probably the worst scope in the game. I dont really snipe. I dont like too. My gripe comes from my experience in gungame with french scoped rifles. I think you should remove them from gungame entirely. Same with the mosin. Bolt actions are a pain in the ass to use on such a fast and frantic gamemode.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-26, 02:01   #2
piratepengu
PR:BF2 QA Tester
Default Re: French Infantry

What???
piratepengu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-26, 17:23   #3
axytho
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
Snipers and Marksman have probably the worst scope in the game. I dont really snipe. I dont like too. My gripe comes from my experience in gungame with french scoped rifles. I think you should remove them from gungame entirely. Same with the mosin. Bolt actions are a pain in the ass to use on such a fast and frantic gamemode.
Irrespective of the other points: having to work with guns that are a pain is what makes gungame fun IMO. I would ask for the other way around: reduce the number of kills that have to be gotten with machine guns and add things like the obrez/SMAW spotting rifle/mortar IED
axytho is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-27, 04:33   #4
[R-CON]​PotatoLord
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by axytho View Post
Irrespective of the other points: having to work with guns that are a pain is what makes gungame fun IMO. I would ask for the other way around: reduce the number of kills that have to be gotten with machine guns and add things like the obrez/SMAW spotting rifle/mortar IED
Obrez in gun game would be super sick, idk why its not there already
PotatoLord is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-27, 13:45   #5
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

I don't think the FAMAS is underpowered. I kind of agree that the grenadier is worse than the other factions. How are rifle grenades+grenades utilized in the French squad IRL?

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-27, 22:39   #6
BubblyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
How are rifle grenades+grenades utilized in the French squad IRL?
Going off this http://sudpaintball.free.fr/INF_202.pdf although a 1999 publication.

There's no direct mention of rifle grenades being used for primary tactics but instead sees AT4s with anti-personnel munitions to be used up to ranges of 300 meters as per fireteam designations and a light mortar to be used for up to 600 meters. There is mention of rifle-launched grenades (FLG) along with OF-37 grenades but only technical info that doesn't describe a doctrinal integration or allocation into small-unit tactics akin to other militaries. It appears that allocation for individual equipment not directed by the 300/600meter fireteam requirements are down to in-mission requirements with as ad-hoc assault teams.

So for game meta, alt grenadier with an AT-4 that has no armor pen but significant HE splash? And also light mortar?
BubblyNinja is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-02, 02:10   #7
Corvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyNinja View Post
Going off this http://sudpaintball.free.fr/INF_202.pdf although a 1999 publication.

There's no direct mention of rifle grenades being used for primary tactics but instead sees AT4s with anti-personnel munitions to be used up to ranges of 300 meters as per fireteam designations and a light mortar to be used for up to 600 meters. There is mention of rifle-launched grenades (FLG) along with OF-37 grenades but only technical info that doesn't describe a doctrinal integration or allocation into small-unit tactics akin to other militaries. It appears that allocation for individual equipment not directed by the 300/600meter fireteam requirements are down to in-mission requirements with as ad-hoc assault teams.

So for game meta, alt grenadier with an AT-4 that has no armor pen but significant HE splash? And also light mortar?
You can use AT-4 against infantry already anyways since all LATs have huge splash against infantry.
Corvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-02, 02:54   #8
dcm

Quote:

I've been thinking. The french only really need more mags for their rifle and more grenades for grenadier. Distributing rifle grenades to the rest of the squad wont really solve anything. Maybe if we ever get a french iron sight only layer then maybe it be a fun option to exercise. But otherwise I see no reason to give other classes launched rifle grenades. Hand tossed grenades are almost always better in most situations where you need explosive firepower. Grenadier cant do his intended job in CQB. Maybe NVA grenadier can, but he has his own faults.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-02, 03:11   #9
BubblyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
You can use AT-4 against infantry already anyways since all LATs have huge splash against infantry.
Yes, I too play the game.

However, under consideration for a difference in French fireteam tactics and its relation to in-game, their AT4 for the 300m teams would run HE or HEDP which has lower penetration against armor but greater HE splash radius for gameplay purposes. You can potentially replicate this in-game with the SMAW HEDP projectile template which has double the explosive splash radius of the AT4/RPG (values at 24/12/11 meters respectively). This could be a decent alt kit for both the grenadier and LAT.
BubblyNinja is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-02, 08:47   #10
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Yes, I too play the game.

However, under consideration for a difference in French fireteam tactics and its relation to in-game, their AT4 for the 300m teams would run HE or HEDP which has lower penetration against armor but greater HE splash radius for gameplay purposes. You can potentially replicate this in-game with the SMAW HEDP projectile template which has double the explosive splash radius of the AT4/RPG (values at 24/12/11 meters respectively). This could be a decent alt kit for both the grenadier and LAT.
From what I read the HE projectile will only be introduced with the AT4F2 (2022+) for the French army. The linked PDF also mentions 2x ABL (Anti-Tank) for the 300m fire team. The HE support is provided by LGI Mle F1 in the 600m team.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote