project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2023-05-23, 18:09   #1
dcm
Default Militia is too weak as a faction.

TLDR. Militia is weak. But the maps they're featured on and restrictions placed on their opponents, mask the problems of the faction.

Militia is an unconventional faction forced to fight conventionally. They are a typical opfor faction, designed to play like their contemporaries; The Syrians, Hamas and Insurgents, but they(Militia) have almost all the downsides and none of the upsides of said factions. I know that militia predates all factions except for the insurgents themselves. But the militia has been allowed to languish for far too long.

The Militia need crates to drop fobs and emplacements. They have SPGs but no TOWs. The Syrians have hideouts and only need crates to drop their emplacements. And they have guided TOW missiles.

They have APCs but no tanks. Which really isn't that big of a problem, because they have counters, but sometimes it can become a burden. Especially when a tank or apc is engaging from distance and you cant move an spg, bmp or bomb car into place.

But the biggest problem are the maps. The maps they're either very good or very bad for the Militia. They're either Great or Garbage. There is very little in between.

The maps they shine on; Grozny, Dragon Fly, Etc. All share the same common theme. Lots of cover; trees and buildings, for them to hide in or behind. Which leans the map especially in the defenders favor. Which Militia is doing most of the time.

Grozny is hell for russians. Even without rockets. The militia have such an advantage on all layers of that map, that the russians cant establish a foothold in or around the city in most cases. There's very little reason for the russians to build superfobs, because either you wont be able to hit points inside the city itself. Or you'll get mortared or bomb car'd or a bmp will roll up on you. And forget about room clearing. Clear out one building and a minute or two later it's infested again. But as soon as militia leave the safety of the city, they're dead. Even their main exits aren't safe. There have been entire rounds where I as the Militia never left the city. Not even to main for any reason.

The maps the militia performs poor or 'balanced; on; Such as Kozelsk, Fool's Road, Etc. Have too wide and open spaces which makes them easy pickings, unless there is some other factor, such as Iron sight only blufor or plenty of cover to balance things out. In most cases they do go up against iron sight russians which does help. But in cases where they faced scoped blufor factions in the past. Such as black gold and shikotan island, led to the faction or the map being outright removed.

Their kit design feels too weak in most cases. Like the Alt LAT. And way too many mosins. I understand wanting to shake things up a bit. But giving kits like AA and HAT kit a mosin when a PDW would suit the purpose of the kit much better. If I'm waiting for a tank or chopper and I see an enemy rolling up on me. Chances are I'm gonna get popped because of the shittyness of my mosin. Most other unconventional factions that are given bolt action rifles for their specialty kits. Also share the same problem. But the problem is for some reason much less. I dont believe in outright stripping militia of the mosin. I just want it's use to be sequestered into roles where it fits. Where it wont negatively impact the overall kit's combat effectiveness. And if the mosin is an option, the whole kit has to come with some benefit, some boon, a positive trade-off in another direction. Without feeling like a punishment.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-24, 09:46   #2
InfantryGamer42
Default Re: Militia is too weak as a faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
The Militia need crates to drop fobs and emplacements. They have SPGs but no TOWs. The Syrians have hideouts and only need crates to drop their emplacements. And they have guided TOW missiles.
Issue here are not crates (but anybody could make argument that Militia should switch to hideout model). It is extremely poor logistical support given to Militia in form of mostly 2 logistical trucks. Helicopters, as way to improve there logistics, are out of question, considering it is Militia, but solid alternative could be fined in same logistical vans that Syrians get. Giving them 1 or 2 logistical vans, togheter with 2 logistical trucks should improve logistical capabilities of Militia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
They have APCs but no tanks.
You forgot about T-62?
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-24, 18:48   #3
dcm
Default Re: Militia is too weak as a faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantryGamer42 View Post
Issue here are not crates (but anybody could make argument that Militia should switch to hideout model). It is extremely poor logistical support given to Militia in form of mostly 2 logistical trucks. Helicopters, as way to improve there logistics, are out of question, considering it is Militia, but solid alternative could be fined in same logistical vans that Syrians get. Giving them 1 or 2 logistical vans, togheter with 2 logistical trucks should improve logistical capabilities of Militia.
No, they dont need hideouts. More logistical support, Yes. But how? With helicopters out of the question, what's a suitable alternative? Logi vans are inferior to logi trucks in every way. One crate and no repairs. Maybe give them more logi techies? But that wont solve the crux of the issue. How weak the faction feels outside of it's comfort zone. Almost all iron sight only factions have this same problem. Once you take them out of the city/forest, they die very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantryGamer42 View Post
You forgot about T-62?
You're right, I did. I cant remember playing any militia tank layers at all. Most of the time it's APC layer.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote