project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2024-02-04, 23:38   #1
B4ckp4ck
PR:BF2 QA Tester

Default CNC: Can it be better?

CNC: Can it be better?

CNC BATTLE! event

I have played a game of Command and Conquer only once in my entire PR career(400-500h). When i realised that three weeks ago, I concluded that the only way to play this gamemode is to organise an event, which I did.

Pre-event issues

First problem that I encountered was asset balance on Vadso map:
2 x btr-80 vs. 2x Warrior
1x Chinook & 1x Merlin vs 2X KA-29
Blufor is clearly at an advantage. This issue is not solely limited to Vadso. I was able to overcome this by using altered server files.

Second issue was that CnC code and reality seem to be different. During testing my players were unable to replicate 50 ticket penalty for losing the FOB, moreover without the game code, ticket management was hard to comprehend. One of the participants created an overlay, that I think should be implemented on the map gallery. [LINK]

Event stage

Despite small planning issues, launch was a succes. We started 18 minutes past planned time. For more context check the [tracker] and feel free to have a look at these videos: [xpugr's video] [Suchar's video]. Deployment went better for the BLUFOR side. Both teams deployed their FOBs and set up a perimeter defence. That is when the problem with CnC logic started. When two teams have FOBs deployed, there is no incentive to attack the other FOB. This may cause "turtle-ing", and leaves the attacking team at disadvantage. This is because attacking team cannot leave their base unattended, yet the defenders are at full force after choosing "defend only" strategy. Let's say we have 30 players attacking vs. 40 players defending on a prepared position, it's a NO-WIN situation for the attackers.

Second serious issue is that CnC games just take too long. My event lasted for 1hr 54 even when blufor commander attacked redfor fob for over 1 hour. Public AAS games usually last less than 60 minutes. This may be one of the reasons why this gamemode is left out on public servers. In my opinion the most contributing factor is that there's no bleed when the enemy fob is up.

How do we fix the most serious issues?

My proposal is to introduce slow bleed whenever the enemy FOB is up. Team with fob closer to the map edge should have a sligtly greater bleed. If one team menages to destroy enemy's FOB, the opposing team should recive bleed similar to [this] chart. No bleed should occur only when:
-both FOB's are down
-frienly FOB is up and enemy FOB is down
Slow bleed (one that starts when the enemy FOB is up) should drain all tickets in around 1h 30 minutes to limit the time of match.

Summary

Introducing slow bleed would solve both problems(turtle-ing, matches taking to long) by giving actual reason to attack the other FOB. It would change 2-hour-long game of chicken into a real fight!

Please feel free to leave your feedback about CnC gamemode below.

PS: Another possible solution that may also be implemented simultaneously, is to lower the bleed for the enemy team by half, when more than 24 friendlies are in 300-500m radious of FOB.

B4ckp4ck - PR MAFIA Admin / [JWK] Member

Last edited by B4ckp4ck; 2024-02-05 at 10:11..
Old 2024-02-05, 01:15   #2
robert357

Default Re: CNC: Can it be better?

This wont change much tbh. The issue is both teams must defend and attack simultaneously. As you said before, it's better to defend with full force than attack with less force. Tweaking bleed etc. wont change that, because defending with full force is still better and this will only change how long game would last.

The issue with CnC is lack of multiple targets and task you have to do to win a game. In CnC you need defend FOB and attack enemy FOB, that's it. Now lets look at other gamemode - INS. On INS one team is always attacking, other always defending. There are two points on map, so defending is harder, because if whole team is defending only one objective, then they will loose second one. Both teams also have additional objectives like destroy FOBs/hideouts, gather intel and be annoying civie.
Even on AAS despite having one flag that you have defend and one flag that you have attack stalemates are rare and mostly will occur on bleed flags or on some "assault" type maps (and on horrible Kashan). Before attacking you usually need build FOBs and neutralize enemy FOBs to have better advantage. So both teams are focused on multiple tasks rather than on only two.

I personally don't know how to make CnC better. Maybe only one team at the time could have FOB active, so other team would focus on attacking or both teams could place FOB only certain distance from the centre of the map?
robert357 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-05, 01:51   #3
agus92
Supporting Member

A small note.

On your event, you assume the defensive team was on "defense-only" mindset. And that is not entirely true. There were plans drawn to attack with overwhelming force, with the aid of artillery attack. These plans got delayed because bluefor moved their FOB and it had to be located again.

So, my point: decreased timer for artillery could be a quick fix to current CnC. Against a prepared position, much like real life, you need an artillery attack to allow for an aggressive action. The more frequent those artillery strikes are available, the more frequent good attacks against the defended FOBs can happen.

agus92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-05, 08:57   #4
K-Massive

Considering the artillery factor, the event was agreed to not use mortars or UAV.

Then again mortars could give the advantage of fire support, but was agreed it would be too easy to possibly snipe the FOB with mortars (which I agree, it would)

Problems would be the same regardless of the game mode, on public servers. If you have 8-man squad "doing their own stuff", thats 8 guys less doing not organized stuff, be it language barrier, personal preference or whatever.

I feel like CNC's blessing and curse is the freedom of it, you dont have clear objectives on the marker where the play is focused, but you also have to manage assaulting, defending, logistics, in order to do stuff.

Maybe its just too big of a plate for the current day players?
K-Massive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-05, 09:27   #5
puffkiller

What kind of combat is the CNC mode simulating? Is it positional warfare? It's not very similar.

I have played twice and both sides have low enthusiasm. People are more like playing hide and seek, trying to hide the fob and secretly approaching it.

Some guys will build FOBs in strange places, and UAVs cannot scout.

The final vote enters the next round.
puffkiller is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-05, 13:11   #6
mries
Supporting Member

Would a combination of AAS and CnC be interesting? For example that there is 1 capable flag in the centre of the map and only 1 fob per team which results in bleed when lost.

Capping the flag gives a buff, losing the flag a penalty or something.

mries is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-05, 13:53   #7
Catmouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4ckp4ck View Post
CNC: Can it be better?

Summary

Introducing slow bleed would solve both problems(turtle-ing, matches taking to long) by giving actual reason to attack the other FOB. It would change 2-hour-long game of chicken into a real fight!

Please feel free to leave your feedback about CnC gamemode below.
Seconded. A stronger incentive towards offensive operations is needed.

I perhaps the introduction a bleed to the enemy faction depending on the location of the friendly FOB is a simple but elegant solution:

1) The bleed would be starting once a FOB has been created
2) The bleed function would have a finer resolution when it comes to the parameter radius from map center.
Catmouse is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-05, 16:17   #8
puffkiller

The central area of the map has a random flag with a large occupation range of 1km.
puffkiller is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-05, 17:29   #9
[R-CON]​CAS_ual_TY
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Everyone here completely overanalyzing the whole situation. How are you meant to attack without spawn points?

Make rally points permanent, or increase their running time significantly and allow proper human wave attacks.

Additionally, make it worth to attack a FOB by also introducing an instant penalty, similar to when losing a flag on AAS.

There you go, CNC fun now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4ckp4ck View Post
[...]

How do we fix the most serious issues?

My proposal is to introduce slow bleed whenever the enemy FOB is up. Team with fob closer to the map edge should have a sligtly greater bleed. If one team menages to destroy enemy's FOB, the opposing team should recive bleed similar to [this] chart. No bleed should occur only when:
-both FOB's are down
-frienly FOB is up and enemy FOB is down
Slow bleed (one that starts when the enemy FOB is up) should drain all tickets in around 1h 30 minutes to limit the time of match.

[...]
This is also a good suggestion.

you are all welcome

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-06, 00:21   #10
TheMerchantOfMenace
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_ual_TY View Post
Everyone here completely overanalyzing the whole situation. How are you meant to attack without spawn points?

Make rally points permanent, or increase their running time significantly and allow proper human wave attacks.
Not answering directly to CAS_ual_TY, answering here more generally to the playerbase and the DEVs...

Unfortunately, human wave attacks have become all too common in PR, they have become the lazy, unimaginative playerbase's default method of taking on any challenging objective.

CAS_ual_TY, you having commanded in tournaments in the past, I don't expect that you are suggesting that tactic to be used as a matter of routine on PR, I know you were simply addressing the solution to the request of the posters above, but I would hope that the DEVs might not consider mechanics that would facilitate the frequent use of human wave tactics, as this tactic is counter to the original intent of PR and can only serve to degrade the quality of PR gameplay.

It's sad to see so much of the PR gameplay nowadays as just a lemming-like tossing of bodies to the enemy... to see everyone rushing madly upon spawning, to the nearest enemy or objective without the slightest thought of attack method, nor coordination with squad or team members. Facilitating more of this kind of mess will not help to bring back or keep the gameplay to what it once was or to what it is supposed to be.
TheMerchantOfMenace is offline Reply With Quote