project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2024-06-24, 09:42   #1
waldov

Default Grostok INS (std)/AAS (alt)

Great looking map with a great atmosphere. But unfortunately it runs into the same glaring pitfall that has relegated Grozny INS into near obscurity: the RUS are just totally outmatched and inadequate against the militia on the INS layer.

Militia is no Iraqi-insurgency/Taliban vs modern BLUFOR, for all intents and purposes they are a conventional peer opponent against no-scope Russia. Further to this urban defense is easily a 2x force multiplier for the defender.

The only thing Russia has to balance the odds in their favor is a singular basic b*tch BMP-2 (basic BTRs are barely a step above humvees in urban combat).

RPGs in an urban environment make easy work of this threat for militia, additionally there's two SPGs (and stationary SPGs if need be) to more then guarantee a quick death sentence for the sole BMP and with it any chance of RUS making headway.

With negligible support for Russia the map quickly turns into the usual meat grinder of ill fated assault after assault against an opponent with all the odds staked in their favor; Grozny all over again, perhaps even more stacked against Russia.

The two games I played ended with a 1.5-2 to 1 K/D in favor of Militia. Which about speaks for itself.

On the contrary the AAS alt layer with Militia on the offense has the same issue but instead for militia, at-least from the one game I played.

At risk of sounding like a broken record I like to point to maps like Fallujah or Al-basrah which show the overwhelming levels of firepower an attacking force needs just to make for an equal game against an Urban defender. On paper BLUFOR easily possesses a 3 or even 4 to 1 advantage in firepower between assets, area attacks and small arms, yet those maps are pretty well balanced with both sides having a good chance at winning.

The 1 to 1 formula strictly works for standard, head to head AAS maps. Assault and Insurgency layouts really need to bring some weight to the attacker/BLUFOR or it just simply does not work. These layers on this map look to be the latest additions to the growing list of layouts proving this point.

On a side not the STD AAS layout is well balanced and good fun, and this critique isn't aimed at the map itself which is an otherwise great addition to the bundle of high quality maps that have come with the latest release. Big Kudos to the map makers and dev teams on this release!
waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-24, 15:12   #2
[R-DEV]​Ason
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Grostok INS (std)/AAS (alt)

I usually like to wait a bit and see how things play after a couple of rounds but for now I have reduced caches from 5 to 4 and added another bmp-2 to Russia.

Will wait and see if more changes are needed after the next patch.

Thank you for the feedback.

Ason is offline Reply With Quote