project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
03 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2024-06-27, 21:30   #1
leetobr
Default Is there any way to change the PR to use all processor cores or more than ONE?

I know that PRBF2 only uses 1 processor core, is there any way to increase this usage? I have a Xeon e5 2650 v3, a relatively powerful processor that can handle current games like warzone/squad without problems, but due to the old engine technology I suffer from FPS drops to 30/20 on some maps that use more processing, is there anyone How to improve this? Regardless of the resolution, video quality, the fps on some maps are really low
leetobr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-28, 11:46   #2
[R-DEV]Suchar
PR:BF2 QA Lead
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Is there any way to change the PR to use all processor cores or more than ONE?

Moved to tech support

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic98978_4.gif
Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-28, 19:46   #3
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Default Re: Is there any way to change the PR to use all processor cores or more than ONE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetobr View Post
I know that PRBF2 only uses 1 processor core, is there any way to increase this usage? I have a Xeon e5 2650 v3, a relatively powerful processor that can handle current games like warzone/squad without problems, but due to the old engine technology I suffer from FPS drops to 30/20 on some maps that use more processing, is there anyone How to improve this? Regardless of the resolution, video quality, the fps on some maps are really low
Not much. AFAIK, the Refractor 2 game engine only has two threads, one for network and another for everything else. So increasing the number of processor cores does not help. What actually matters is the clock frequency of the processor (MHz) and Instructions Per Clock cycle (IPC) it can perform. The higher the numbers, the better. Newer processors usually run faster and have more better IPC.

I think the best you can do with your current setup is, after launching the game, set its processor affinity so that PRBF2.exe is assigned to two non-adjacent cores of the processor. Thus, making sure threads are not constantly jumping around, and that they are not bound to two hyperthreads of the same core.

Naturally, you should also reduce the number of other running apps and background tasks to absolute minimum. All third-party apps you should stop manually, and for Windows itself you can you use Game Mode, which does its part in limiting background activity. Game Mode should be enabled by default in later Windows 10/11 versions but by default PR is not recognized as a game. To fix that, start the game (main menu/server browser is enough), press Win-G to open Game Bar, go to its Settings and select "Remember this is a game". Make sure the process name shown is PRBF2.exe.

If you don't want to, or can't afford to build new computer, try to find the fastest intel Core series processor that is compatible with your motherboard. Don't blindly trust my quick search results but it looks like you can go from your current 3.0 MHz turbo fequency limit up to 3.9 MHz natively, and even more when OC'd, if you can get your hands on cheap used Core i7-4930K.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-2-30-ghz.html
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...rocessors.html
Last edited by bad_nade; 2024-06-28 at 21:46..