project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
03 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2024-07-11, 19:12   #1
uzipaz
Default Crash to Desktop issue

Getting a new CTD error that I have never encountered before.

I have 13900kf, 32gb DDR5, RTX 4090 with latest drivers on Windows 11.

I had this error occur after I cleared shader cache from launcher and deleted DirectX shader cache from disk cleanup util.

https://imgur.com/a/WuhITIp
uzipaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-07-11, 20:27   #2
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Default Re: Crash to Desktop issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzipaz View Post

Getting a new CTD error that I have never encountered before.

I have 13900kf, 32gb DDR5, RTX 4090 with latest drivers on Windows 11.

I had this error occur after I cleared shader cache from launcher and deleted DirectX shader cache from disk cleanup util.

https://imgur.com/a/WuhITIp
For future reference, the error message is:
Code:
Debug Assertion Failed!

Module: ParticleSystem
File: C:\dice\Projects\BF2Branches\Patch_1_50\Code\BF2\Geom\ParticleSystem\ParticleSystemRenderer.cpp
Line: 909

Text: m_particleSortCount != 0 105

Current Confile:
Uninstall PR and reinstall again. Also, you don't need to delete DirectX shader cache. It's enough to clean PR shader cache from laucher. If the error remains, you might have to reinstall DirectX: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/down...s.aspx?id=8109. My gaming PC build is identical to yours and the game never crashes.
Last edited by bad_nade; 2024-07-11 at 20:32..
Old 2024-07-12, 21:07   #3
uzipaz

thank you for the quick response.

This had something to do with me tinkering with overclocking settings in my bios. I messed up some clock timings. I reset my bios to default values and everything is back to normal again.

on another note, I feel so sad that this game still performs and plays like the same as from 10 years ago on my study laptop. A 13900k, DDr5 ram and 4090 couldn't change much in terms of fps and performance.
Old 2024-07-12, 22:46   #4
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzipaz View Post
thank you for the quick response.

This had something to do with me tinkering with overclocking settings in my bios. I messed up some clock timings. I reset my bios to default values and everything is back to normal again.

on another note, I feel so sad that this game still performs and plays like the same as from 10 years ago on my study laptop. A 13900k, DDr5 ram and 4090 couldn't change much in terms of fps and performance.
PR is running on a 20 years old game engine. It uses one thread for network stuff and another thread for everything else. It means that on lower-end computers, performance is mostly CPU limited. Which, in turn, means that the most important hardware feature is 1-2 core CPU speed. The more MHz and IPC (instructions per clock cycle) the better.

Intel Core i9-13900KF is not a lower-end CPU On stock settings and with worthy CPU cooler it can boost up to 5.8 GHz on 1-2 thread loads. It happens to fit PR perfectly. It's only like 5% increase over all-core 5.5 GHz max speed but an improvement nevertheless. I had to enable High Performance power plan via legacy Windows Control Panel to get the full 5.8 GHz out of the CPU.

If you want to make that RTX 4090 beast of a GPU work even the slightest, you must run the game at either true 4k resolution, or render it using 4k DSR. In addition to the 4k resolution, you can push all graphic settings to the max in the launcher. I've also added some further improvements in the NVIDIA Control Panel, like 16x anisotropic filtering, FXAA on, and 140 FPS framerate limit to avoid tearing on my 144Hz monitor.

All in all, you should not chase FPS but image quality and smoothness. FPS going to be maxed out anyway, unless you really push your graphics settings. With enough antialiasing and view distance, my FPS may drop to high two-digits in dense forests or urban areas of certain maps, and to low three-digits on some other maps. I've seen both CPU limited, and GPU limited FPS drops, which means that even this killer of a rig is not total overkill. Though, most of the maps run at steady 140 FPS with both CPU and GPU load staying around 50%
Last edited by bad_nade; 2024-07-12 at 22:57..
Old 2024-07-16, 23:42   #5
uzipaz

I have been playing with 4k DSR (3840 by 2160) on my 1080p monitor for the past 3-4 months. Everything looks great, alot more detailed and I get 160-200 fps but I feel like the hit registry is far worse with this resolution. Even though I aim and shoot at the enemy with deviation bar joined and also wait 1-2 seconds beyond that and I still miss my shot somehow.

I am now playing back in 1920 by 1080 and I feel like my hits registers alot more than usual. Even if the deviation bar are not always all the way joined. I have been landing my shots far more consistently than when playing with DSR.

I have not recorded any gameplay footage to support my claims but there is something off when playing with DSR and higher resolution than what your monitor supports.