project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2007-03-21, 10:36   #1
TacticalSuicide

Default RPG-7 Accuracy..

According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-7

The RPG-7 fires accurately out to 300 meters using standard HEAT ammunition.

Quote:
"The grenade is stabilized by two sets of fins that deploy in-flight: one large set on the stabilizer pipe to maintain direction and a smaller front set to induce rotation. The grenade can fly up to 1100 meters; the fuze sets the maximum range, usually 920 m.

Accurate firing is difficult over 300 m and with the RPG-7 the phrase "the closer the better" is always true. During the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan the Mujahideen tended to use the weapon at ranges of less than 80 m."
300 meters.

That's about standard for an open sight weapon.

I've been aiming at stuff like 50 meters away and had the rocket hit the ground like 10 feet in front of me because it's so inaccurate.

Standing stationary with my sights dead on an M1A1 at 65 meters, the rocket goes straight over the top of the tank. So I fired again, aiming basically at the same spot.. rocket explodes on the ground off to one side of the tank.

Gyro-stabilized.

Using 150m as a practical range for the weapon, the rocket should be travelling at over 500km/h when it reaches its target, so, that's ALOT of gyro stabilization.

Think "a football".

You throw it.

If it doesn't spin using the two ends as an axis, it doesn't go where you throw it.

Make it spin and it flies like a javelin.

So, if none of this means anything, take into account the fact that EVERY other rocket/missile launcher in the game/mod has dead-on accuracy, and the fact that the Insurgents on al-Basrah don't have access to a heavy AT kit, and perhaps a reason to revamp the RPG will come to mind.

Thanks for reading.
TacticalSuicide is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 10:42   #2
causticbeat

the issue with having realistic engagement distance accuracys is that bf2 is TINY. If we gave these things realistic accuracy and speed, theyd be rocket snipers
causticbeat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 12:24   #3
El_Vikingo

Quote:
Think "a football".

You throw it.

If it doesn't spin using the two ends as an axis, it doesn't go where you throw it.
A real football is round and will always be,(your talking about an american football ball / with all that protection!.)

Is it possible to have the rocket drop (maybe not realistic), that way accuracy will depend on the shooter.
Last edited by El_Vikingo; 2007-03-21 at 16:38..
Old 2007-03-21, 15:20   #4
Clypp

I would like to see a little more accuracy. At least have it fire straight for the first 30m and then go into the crazy deviation.
Clypp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 15:22   #5
Garabaldi

Yeah, I hate the deviation.

You can pretty much get rid of it if you hold the sights up ffor 10+ seconds while crouching.
Garabaldi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 15:25   #6
SethLive!
Supporting Member

I like the fact that insurgents have inaccurate weapons, but the PRG deviation is a bit overdone. the devs reduced it slightly in the recent server patch but i think the deviation should still be reduced.

Someone please tell me that the above is irony.
Or I'll rip my own eyes out with a sardine.
-[R-Mod] Masaq
SethLive! is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 15:31   #7
Guerra

You know, I hit an APC from about 200 metres away while crouched on a rooftop in Al Basrah. I was extremely surprised it hit the APC dead on and blew it up.
Guerra is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 15:45   #8
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Yeah current RPG deviation is hideous, working on a new model for that, but running into a few limitations we need to sort out.

Cheers!
egg

eggman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 17:22   #9
JL

took my post from another thread and posted it i wasnt sure if there was one on this already..
JL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 19:33   #10
Harrelson

a good suggestion would be to remove the scope and lets us use the iron sights. it will be harder to frame and hit a moving target but a hit will be more rewarding. i.e the at4 sights and accuracy
Harrelson is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
accuracy, rpg7