project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2007-03-31, 12:25   #1
PrometheusRising
Default Realistic accuracy?

I've been reading this board for a while and one thing really surprised me.

People argue a lot about various realism issues - for example, those neverending G3 threads. But I never seen somebody discussing ridiculous accuracy of all ingame firearms.

I always thought that in real life combat it's rather hard to hit somebody with your rifle, statistics of fired shots/casualties show that. And I think that people who served the army would agree with this.

While in Project Reality every untrained insurgent with his grandpa's AK-47 fires with 100% accuracy. Of course, it depends on player's skill and lag, but initial shot goes right where your ironsight points. So i wonder, if this is intentional or the first shot deviation rate cannot be change without changing the source code?

For example, in Battlefield 2142 firing mechanism has been reworked and, IMHO, it looks much more sensible.

Sorry if somebody already asked this before. And, surely, this was not meant to be a criticism - I really like this mod, above are just some thoughts provoked be "reality" part of its name.
PrometheusRising is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 12:35   #2
Soulis6

I agree.......sort of.

I think the guns should be 100% accurate, but scope drift should be present. It doesnt kill the game as it is now, but it does occsionally bother me. Thats just my opinion however.
Soulis6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 12:38   #3
mammikoura

of course the shot goes where the iron sight points, thats how it happens in real life. The thing that is missing is that in PR all guns are 100% stable, no sway or anything like that. Sadly it's a problem with the bf2 engine, there isn't anything the devs can do.

I don't like the idea of increasing shot deviation, it just leads to the bullet going to random directions. So then hitting becomes more luck than skills, since it really doesn't matter if you aim for the head or not since the deviation will make the bullet go to somewhere else than the spot where you are aiming.
mammikoura is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 12:40   #4
Fishw0rk

Unfornately scope drift is either impossible, or extremely difficult to mod into BF2. I know BF2142 has it, and even BF1942 had it. However it seems that DICE took the lazy way out for BF2. Its a shame because I'd love to see it also (as well as varying recoil based on stances).

BF2 is just ridiculous sometimes. They added a ton of great new features compared to BF1942 (Commander, Squads, etc), but really dropped the ball when it came to brining back some of the core elements of infantry combat (scope sway, non-spam prone diving, etc).
Fishw0rk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 13:04   #5
$kelet0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishw0rk
BF2 is just ridiculous sometimes. They added a ton of great new features compared to BF1942 (Commander, Squads, etc), but really dropped the ball when it came to brining back some of the core elements of infantry combat (scope sway, non-spam prone diving, etc).
ain't that the truth
and then they lock the modders out of making the changes they would like to make to simple things
$kelet0r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 13:36   #6
BigPipe

when you shoot full auto with any gun, the bullets don't go where the iron sights were pointing. it seems with full auto, some random deviation is brought it but in single shots, its accurate
BigPipe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 14:34   #7
El_Vikingo

If you take a machine gun and place it on an unmoveable object (so the gun will not move a nm), will the bullets stray far from each other.

If Chuck Norris punched himself, would it be the end of the universe?

So many questions but no answers.

Accuracy depends on the players! Single shot > FullAuto (some people dont understand this)
El_Vikingo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 18:42   #8
GnaM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
of course the shot goes where the iron sight points, thats how it happens in real life. The thing that is missing is that in PR all guns are 100% stable, no sway or anything like that. Sadly it's a problem with the bf2 engine, there isn't anything the devs can do.

I don't like the idea of increasing shot deviation, it just leads to the bullet going to random directions. So then hitting becomes more luck than skills, since it really doesn't matter if you aim for the head or not since the deviation will make the bullet go to somewhere else than the spot where you are aiming.
Quoted for truth. We don't want some CS-type system where even when your sights are on target the bullets still fly off randomly...besides with the BF2 hitbox-trailing-behind-the-player bug, I think exagerated stability is just compensation.
GnaM is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 19:43   #9
Maistros

Putting your iron sights on a target in real life, does not equal a hit. It's now how it works. RANGE, is the most important factor. What are your iron sights zeroed at? 400? 300?

So how do you aim at a guy only 100m away from you?

The trick is not forming realistic accuracy.. the trick is adding in realistic ballistics and bullet rise/drop.
Maistros is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 20:02   #10
$kelet0r

on a slightly related note - I cry every time I play as an insurgent. They are castrated accuracy-wise compaared to their foes. The amount of times I carefully line up a heatshot only to see the tracer inexplicably fly off a metre wide of the target at close range
Sorry - frustrating afternoon on Helmand. The short view distances on a map which should have 1000m view distance, the deathmatchy gameplay coupled with the crippled insurgents who must fight a conventional force conventionally wrecks my head.
$kelet0r is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
accuracy, realistic