project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-11-07, 19:21   #1
Rg
Default Reasonable (IMO) Suggestion List

First off, I really appreciate the changes you guys have made so far and your definitely on the right track.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
After playing the mod for a little while now, here are some reasonable suggestions for future versions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1) To stop bunny hopping, maybe you can make it so you can’t turn while jumping. If you jump, your view should be locked until you touch the ground (No turning while in mid-air).
You could also make it so you can’t fire when jumping and using the sprint animation (Gun aimed down).

2) A cool little feature that I don’t think would be too hard to do, is too make your view shake or jitter while sprinting. I’m picturing the shaky feel of the movies Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down. It would add to the intensity while sprinting for cover.

3) Tweak the ragdoll effects if you haven’t already done so. I don’t know if this engine will even allow decent ragdoll effects (I'm guess no).

4) Do something about the GL. It's way to easy to rack up kills. All you have to do is strafe out or stand up, then fire and go back to cover. All that taking 1 second and your nade won’t even land near them, but you’ll still get the kill. I would say the GL one of the most important problems with this mod.

5) Going prone should take longer (maybe similar to OFP’s going prone?).

6) Snipers should have a big delay before they can fire when they zoom in with their rifle. What’s sickening is seeing a sniper running at you, then going prone and firing within 1 second. Any somewhat close contact with an enemy should force them to use the handgun. The delay should be an easy implementation that would fix that.

7) Also, a breath feature would be great! The view would be shaky until they hold their breath. It should take time to snipe people.
I personally wouldn’t be sad if you got rid of the sniper class altogether, but I know you probably won’t do that, so these suggestions are a must.

8 ) If possible, make the smoke from the smoke grenades twice as thick and last for twice as long. They really don’t work well at their current state.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few suggestions that some might like and some might hate.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

9) Are you planning on turning off friendly tags? Maybe have a server option to turn off all tags. You should have to think before you fire. Determining if someone is friendly or foe is part of the chaos of war.

10) Get rid of the hud and just have a compass and map (both of which require you to press a button, not have it be part of your hud display).

11) The text for chat and server announcements should be much smaller and maybe 50% or so transparent. The stuff on you screen should be at the bare minimum (I really like the small ROF/Mag hud.

12) Force each squad to only have 1 of each class or double up one class if snipers aren’t considered part of a squad. People forced into a class might not be as good as another, but they will learn. Everyone should be able to play as each class and understand their role in team play.

13) One thing that I would like to see is less vehicles. Maybe you can edit existing maps or make certain themes for certain custom maps. Maybe have no jets, but have the Blackhawk/transport heli’s. It gets really annoying when your squad piles into a Blackhawk only to be shot down by a jet 10 seconds later. They can fly across the map and spot you so damn fast that you don’t stand a chance, making the Blackhawk useless. If not taken out completely on some maps, can you make jets have no repawn or a very very long respawn time?

14) Most importantly, the game is still way too fast paced. I love it when you have a full squad and you move to cover areas very carefully, while covering your guys and using smoke to get to a destination. This game should be more about infantry fighting (squads vs. squads). Vehicles should be at an absolute minimum, so when a vehicle does roll in, it can be very threatening. The game type you added (AAS) helps slow things down, but I think other things need to change to slow it down further. Maybe VERY FEW vehicles in maps (maybe only at main base?) that when destroyed, respawn even longer than what it currently is set at, or no vehicle respawns at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this is a long list, but I think most of these suggestions are very reasonable. Thanks for reading.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Rg is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-07, 19:25   #2
Beckwith

Quote:
9) Are you planning on turning off friendly tags? Maybe have a server option to turn off all tags. You should have to think before you fire. Determining if someone is friendly or foe is part of the chaos of war.
i havent seen the BF2 server managers but i know in '42 it was a server option and i would assume the same is true for BF2
Beckwith is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-07, 20:17   #3
Artnez
Supporting Member

Now that's how you make a suggestion

All of the reasonable ones I agree with (especially the shake while sprinting, that would be amazing).

One that makes me think is the no turn while jumping... it's seems pretty logical. Try jumping and turning... it ain't all that easy as BF2 makes it. It would take you twice as long to get your aim back when you jump and turn. It would also make your jump shorter. Removing it seems to make alot of sense.

I also agree with the hud map option. I like the chat the way it is now though. It doesnt get in the way at all. The map, on the otherhand, would be a good addition for you to bring up. It would make the maps seem larger and give a true advantage to those than know them well.

On the other hand, we all play on the same maps over and over and over. It would be safe to assume that we'd memorize it by the 10th game so leaving the map could be better. Not to mention, the commander would have a harder time spotting enemies for people (how many people will bring up their map every time the commander spots someone?).

Forcing squads to have certain people isn't a great idea, as it will sort of limit the open-endedness of BF2 (which alot of people are dead set on keeping *cough*Beckwith*cough*DAWG*cough*... I am too ).

I still think it might be a good idea to limit certain classes on certain maps, but then you would get more complaining than you would teamwork. How often is someone going to choose the class that you are good at? Wil that person suck so bad that they will ruin the game for the whole team? You could say 'deal with it'... but not everyone will want to 'deal with it' and will simply stop playing (who wants to be annoyed? We all just wanna have fu-un).

And the smoke grenade suggestion is a good one, yet it has been suggested a gazillion times. Everyone wants stronger and longer lasting smoke, but it even lags my system (3ghz processor, 1gb ram) as it is.

Unless they can come up with a less pc-hog way of creating smoke, I dont know if it is possible. I would stand for very low quality smoke, as long as it obscures the view as it should. I dont need eye candy, just functionality

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-07, 20:51   #4
BlakeJr
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artnez
I like the chat the way it is now though. It doesnt get in the way at all
You obviously haven't been in a game with me AND Wolfmaster.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artnez
I still think it might be a good idea to limit certain classes on certain maps, but then you would get more complaining than you would teamwork. How often is someone going to choose the class that you are good at? Wil that person suck so bad that they will ruin the game for the whole team? You could say 'deal with it'... but not everyone will want to 'deal with it' and will simply stop playing (who wants to be annoyed? We all just wanna have fu-un).
No amount of Cyndi Lauper will make me buy that. (Geez... I'm old.... )
So instead of limiting classes to a realistic level anyone should be allowed to be any class he wishes at any time...
Team A 19 people, all snipers...
Team B 12 People All SF except for 2 who are snipers

What about a compromise?
Make it so the server can set realistic class mix or free for all as they see fit.
If possible that is.

{ pretty sig removed construction on new one has not begun }
... yet ...
BlakeJr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-07, 21:00   #5
Artnez
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJr
You obviously haven't been in a game with me AND Wolfmaster.....

No amount of Cyndi Lauper will make me buy that. (Geez... I'm old.... )
So instead of limiting classes to a realistic level anyone should be allowed to be any class he wishes at any time...
Team A 19 people, all snipers...
Team B 12 People All SF except for 2 who are snipers

What about a compromise?
Make it so the server can set realistic class mix or free for all as they see fit.
If possible that is.

I guess you're right.

You and Wolf dont know how to shut up

lol, im kidding you guys never talk at all so i dunno what your talking about. You are right though, it will probably ruin the gameplay. Setting a serverside option is always the best idea.

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-07, 21:02   #6
Beckwith

Quote:
lol, im kidding you guys never talk at all so i dunno what your talking about. You are right though, it will probably ruin the gameplay. Setting a serverside option is always the best idea.
you obviously dont pay attention to the shoutbox
Beckwith is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-07, 21:06   #7
Zodiac

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's hard to turn to turn in midair while you're carrying 100 lbs of gear

Good suggestions, but they look like they'd be hard to implement
Zodiac is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-07, 21:11   #8
Heydude235

Ok dude out of all of thos i only like 1. Dude its a game keep hud. Bunny hopping right now takes down your stama bar. I say make it once your stama bar reaches 0 you cant jump. Prone is fine you can go prone fast buddy. Snipers are fine. YOu can turn in mid air buddy plus that would mess up the parashute. no shacking when sprinting. Hmm ya all your idea preaty much suck. snipers delay i like sort of maybe make it take longer to rais the sniper to your eye maybe a sec.
Last edited by Heydude235; 2005-11-07 at 21:14..
Old 2005-11-07, 21:27   #9
Zodiac

^omgwtfbbq nub lern tu spelol
Zodiac is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-07, 21:53   #10
Heydude235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
^omgwtfbbq nub lern tu spelol
Heydude235 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
imo, list, reasonable, suggestion