project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-11-10, 11:50   #1
Tequnique
Lightbulb Morale And Reward Suggestion

I have a deep wish to tell you about this idea, and deeply believe that this will make a totally new game experience when it comes to realism.
I hope you can take the time to read and maybe use some of it?

TEAMWORK
SQUAD MORALE EFFECT –
The squad gains a Moral value when it has ie.:
a) Squadleader b) Medic c) Support d) Tank support e) Arty support.
The value increases when for example the squadleader is close and alive, and decreases radically when he is far away or dead.

The squad looses a morale value when the squad encounter:
a) enemy soldier b) enemy tank c) artillery barage d) soldier wounded etc

The lower the morale in the squad the longer the effects of vision/hearing distortion is felt when hit or shocked, a shorter sprint time, slower reload time and less accuracy is experienced
As in real life, fear and adrenaline causes the vision and feeling of pain to last longer and feel more intense!

This effect would GREATLY enhance the importance of teamwork and overall realistic game feel.
It will also force players to join squads, as they will have less chance by them selves (except for snipers and spec ops)

I have made a complete list of morale modifiers, reward and effects in the attachment file. I hope you like them, if nobody else has posted something like this

Regards Teq
Attached Files
File Type: zip MORALE.zip (5.2 KB, 3 views)
Tequnique is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-10, 12:57   #2
Maj.b00bz

Hmm, very interesting. Try this on for size:

Not all people react the same when confronted by aggression. Some people are worthless, others are solid. You never can tell who will do what until that day. Usually the big talkers are the ones who bug out first. To hard code a pre-determined reaction into the game assumes all people are the same.

Coding tunnel vision is more accurate. As one panics/stresses, they super focus on the threat. Everyone does it. Those that say they dont' are liars.

Loading mags and and shooting are muscle memory functions. You don't rise to the level of your challenge, you default to the level of your training. If you practiced with your weapon enough, you actually do it without thinking. I rememebr shooting an changing mags so fast once that I shot off all my mags without even realizing I did it. When I was out, I reached down and found nothing. I remember thinking I must have dropped some someplace but when I looked down, there the all were.

Adrenaline actually decreases the effects of pain to the point that many don't even realize they've been hit. I don't know about you but when I am scared as sh1t, I actually run faster and farther. That's why the body dumps adrenaline into your system. To get you the flock out of there. I've only met a few people who can control that rush and focus it back on their agressors.

Fear can cause you to just freeze up. You do nothing and are totally useless. So here's my thought: Having tunnel vision start closing in to the point where you can only see a small circle would be cool. Only at the final end point do you freeze. No loading or moving. Until your teammates arrive and save your ass or the enemy goes by. As the firefight grows and your tunnel vision increases, your vision gets effected. Without reinforcements or a situation that gets better, your only choice to reduce the effects would be to run/move away from the situation. The farther you get from the enemy, the wider the circle gets till it retuns back to normal. Your rank (experience) and proximity to your teammates can mitigate or even nullify the effect. Things like your kill ratio for that round and your point score can effect this too.

The tunnel vision thing is pretty standard with everyone. It's the body's natural reaction. True Spec Ops type guys learn to operate in that tunnel vision environment. They embrace it for what it is and train around it to still be combat effective.

Now programming that into PRMM, well that's another thing I'm sure.
Maj.b00bz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-10, 15:45   #3
Artnez
Supporting Member

The morale idea is great.

One of the jobs of a squad leader is to increase Morale, which is what he will do here. Stay close, more moral.

I dont know possible this is with the BF2 engine, since you need a function that will test the distance between the SL and you -- then adjust some values accordingly. However, if this is possible then you can also probably increase the persons effeciency and speed when he is near his squad leader.

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-10, 16:15   #4
Tequnique
Arrow Nice answers :)

Thank you for replying

Regarding the tunnelvision I agree. I am an martial artist and been practicing for about 10 years. For about 2 years ago I was assulted on the street from behind in a taxi line by two guys..
They hit me four times in the back of my head and on the chin, but fortunatly not very presise.
I turned around and wanted to "return fire" but I couldnt see shit... Like looking through toilett roller (or what its called - im a norwegian ) )
They came for me a second time and I reacted like the training, but I noticed that It was VERY difficult to fokus on the threat after being wounded (or stressed)...
I went for the first guy with a front kick to the groin, but unfortunatly the other guy came on my flank (! !) hooking me in the face...
After that I got a low kick to my thigh... and Then they both started to fire all they could at me... trying to knock me out.
But in some way I moved so they couldnt get the final score...
Then I got help from a security worker, and they ran of
After the fight I didnt feel anything.
I was just smiling and went back in the taxi line, when one guy told me I was bleeding severly
I looked down and saw blood all over haha
My thinking was clear again.

There was several factors which determined my reactions that night.
1) there where about 100 ppl in the taxi line. that didnt react to help me.
Which maybe lowered my morale.
2) There were 2 attackers, attacking from two angles, which had some impact on me... I couldnt choose who to attack first... or some hesitation occured because of that.
3) My kick was not focused. I dont know wheter it was the headshot I got, that made that effect or the lack of morale.. But I felt kinda weak in my arms...
4) When I got help from the security worker, my vision returned to normal pretty fast (!)

I have been sparring a few times lately. Trying to be mindfull about whats going on.
At first me and a friend just had a friendly slow phased sparr without gloves.
I got no tunnelvision but as I was better than him, he got on the defensive and lost controll.
Then he tried to put on aggression to avoid going on the defence all the time.
Once he got the "kill" look in his face, I understood he was getting serious.
As I didnt want to hurt him, I faced a difficult challenge.. I had to controll him from going to hit me hard, without hurting him....
NOW my tunnelvision came, and I started to stiffen up in my muscles pretty bad...
Every time I hit him, I couldt give him pain, so he didnt notice and gave me hard punches back... After starting to bleed above the eye and my nose.
I realized I had to return fire or quit.. So I quit..

My point is:
The morale is the confidence I have in staying alive, not getting hurt or controlling the situation. It also includes not getting my comerades hurt or killed.
If I dont think I can make it, my tunnelvision narrows and my body stiffen.
The more I am confident the less tunnelvision I have.
If I hadnt 10 years of practice in my martial art I would probably freeze or go nuts.. both I beleive would put me in deep shit....or might even save me hmm..

So I imagine a private with 1 year of service meet an M1 Abrahams at 100m with no backup in visinity...
There is nothing he can do but hide or die.
His pulse is 200 bmp, adrenaline is pumping big time.
Depending on his mental conditions He either frees behind cover, or start running away, or maybe even toward it...
His vision and hearing is gone...
I immagine the poor guy trying to reload his magazine at that time...
Then I immagine that he suddently see a friendly tank comming. attacking the enemy tank and takes it's attention away.
He's pulse come down abit, and some of his vision is retured.

I wanted to mention that the spec ops and sniper was unafected by squad moral.... cause as you said they have alot of practice facing adrenaline and working alone behind enemy lines...
Last edited by Tequnique; 2005-11-10 at 16:58..
Old 2005-11-10, 16:20   #5
Tequnique

Quote:
I dont know possible this is with the BF2 engine, since you need a function that will test the distance between the SL and you -- then adjust some values accordingly. However, if this is possible then you can also probably increase the persons effeciency and speed when he is near his squad leader.
Hmm I dont know how to test the distance... Hmm but it is the same as when you wanna take over a flag? there is a trigger around flag which detects how many and how long youve been in the flag zone.
Maybe there is a way to use the same trigger on a player?
The same thing is done for explosion damage also isnt it?

I dont know anything about this.. I'm only full of ideas.. and this is one of them.
I'd really wish to have something that really binds the team together.. which makes you have a more personalized feel that you really are in a firefight...
Tequnique is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-10, 18:07   #6
DocGJ

I love the ideas and stuff like that, i hope Pr guys can get i worked.Hey, im from Norway to
DocGJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-10, 21:53   #7
Happy
Retired PR Developer

Sounds good. BTW It is toilet paper roll but you were close enough.

Proud Killer of 38 Spambots.

After much intense calculation, it has been decided that your thread is already in the forum that you wish to move it to. Deep Thought should be jealous. - Moderator Control Panel
Happy is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
morale, reward, suggestion