project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-11-12, 05:17   #1
Brentos
Default Will the USMC use the M40A3 as their sniper rifle in PR?

Go go go.
Brentos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-12, 05:31   #2
Beckwith

i think it will depend on the map, as its been discussed many times maps will be unit specific, so if theres a Recon Battalion map youll probably see it, but on a regular infantry unit map youll probably see something like M14DMR

to answer you question youll probably see it in some form or fasion, but thats just my guess and they dont tell me much
Last edited by Beckwith; 2005-11-12 at 05:33..
Old 2005-11-12, 05:48   #3
Brentos

Affirmative
Brentos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 04:58   #4
Eddie Baker
Banned

The M40A3 will probably make an appearance in PR on maps where the US faction is represented by the USMC. The M24 is used by the Marines in a limited capacity, but the only units I know for sure that use them instead of the M40 are their Military Police SRTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckwith
i think it will depend on the map, as its been discussed many times maps will be unit specific, so if theres a Recon Battalion map youll probably see it, but on a regular infantry unit map youll probably see something like M14DMR
Not quite true. There is a Surveillance and Target Acquisition (STA, pronounced "stay"), i.e. Scout-Sniper Platoon in every Marine infantry battalion (located in the battalion HQ company or the weapons company, depending on the unit). The primary weapon of the USMC Scout-Sniper is the M40A3 or A1 type rifle (not everyone has A3s, yet, last I heard). The M14 DMR may be used in some circumstances as the sniper's or observer's primary weapon. The M14 DMR may be found in the hands of the designated marksmen in FAST (Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team) Platoons and Marine Security Guard Detachments of US diplomatic missions. I have also heard of it being deployed at platoon level in infantry units. The Mk-11, Mod 0 (variant of the KAC SR-25 Lightweight Match rifle) is being considered as a direct replacement for the M14 DMR.

At the squad level, the Marines use the SAM-R (Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle). On the East Coast, this is a Precision Weapons Team accurized (free-floating match barrel) M16A4 with a Leupold variable power optic (with a 10x maximum magnification) and a bipod. These find their way into the STA Platoons, also. On the West Coast, the SAM-R is a standard M16A4 with a bipod and Trijicon ACOG 4x telescopic sight.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
m40a3, rifle, sniper, usmc