project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2007-11-27, 06:55   #1
Ninja2dan
Retired PR Developer

Default SALUTE Report

It amazes me that this has not yet found itself on the forum somewhere, especially in the Tactics and Strategies section.

This short "guide" will explain how to relay information amongst your team using the SALUTE Report format. Using this format will ensure radio chatter is kept to a minimum while relaying the most information about an enemy as needed.

SALUTE stands for Size, Activity, Location, Unit, Time, and Equipment.

Size - How big is the enemy element? Is it a squad? 2-3 soldier? Couple of tanks? Single APC? Whole damn army? When using Q-Spot, you can't always tag multiple enemy units when they are close together. Knowing that the troop dot on the GPS is actually a whole squad can make a huge difference in battle.

Activity - What is the enemy doing? Is he building bunkers? Repairing a truck? Running around TK'ing his team? It helps if your side knows that the enemy is doing, not just where they are or how many they are.

Location - Where are they? Using Q-Spot helps, but at times they are beyond spotting range. Using map coordinates helps, but for some it can take practice on judging which grid they are in. If they are in a building, which one? Upstairs? Balcony? Under a tank wreck?

Unit - What kind of unit is it? Civilian? Anti-tank? Officer? Engineer? Knowing what type of unit you are up against can help determine how to best attack them.

Time - How long ago did you spot them? It is important to let your team know how old this information is. If you saw an enemy rushing towards a tank, but got down to prevent from being spotted, it's not a sure thing that they got in the tank. They could still be around, or they could be a couple KM away already in armor. Let your team know so they can determine if they should search a wider area.

Equipment - Knowing what your enemy is armed with will help determine the best counter to the threat. Do they have a rifle? Sniper? Tank? AT? Demolitions? AA MANPAD?

Only relay information based on what you KNOW, not what you THINK. If you didn't confirm it, don't relay it.

To combine this information together, you can use the following as an example:

"I have a squad of 4 troops crowded around a burning APC. Grid E4, Keypad 7. Units have SL and Support, armed with PKM and rifles. No optics visible, no heavy weapons. Last spotted 45 seconds ago."

This is in comparison to "Uh...Like, I see a bunch of guys around a dead tank or something. I think they are setting up a rally point, not sure though. I see 3-4 of them, looks like 4. Eh...I think they have a support guy, one might be officer. Can anyone help me out here?

By using this format to relay information to your team, your leaders can use this information to better determine which units should be attacked in what order, and how best to take out those threats.
Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 09:23   #2
RHYS4190

Hehe good sudgestion. keep things short.... Are we getting arti and morters next patch?.
RHYS4190 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 13:03   #3
*spacecadett*

What? ^^

Good post Ninja2dan, communication is one of the keys in this game! knowing what your up against and what is happening on the battlefield makes things easier for you and your whole squad to react and counter accordingly.
*spacecadett* is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 22:35   #4
Nickbond592
Retired PR Developer

nice post good read.

Smeg: Fuzz commands a lot and promotes good teamwork, db flips vehicles, Bosco is an all-round nub, Outlawz is an SP whore, Nickbond is a friggin ninja and Rhino gets kicked for being a n00b.
Nickbond592 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 03:24   #5
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Great post. Definitely good guidelines.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 07:27   #6
Ninja2dan
Retired PR Developer

In the military you are taught a simple phrase: "Shoot, Move, Communicate"

Without all of those elements, you die. Communications is one of the most vital aspects to surviving on the battlefield. You can be Rambo as much as you want, if you love long respawn times that is. Teams that don't communicate with each other will lose.

There are a lot of tactics and strategies that the real military uses that are still applicable to PR gameplay. Some are not as well-suited to a game, while others still fit. I will continue posting similar "guides" in the various sections of this topic as I write them up. Mind you, I was a soldier for the US Army. This means some of my guides will be different from the tactics that other military units (such as from other countries) are familiar with. But I'm sure they can be adopted for use by pretty much everyone.
Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
report, salute