project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2008-01-11, 11:44   #1
CodeC.Seven
Exclamation CodeC.Seven´s Squad leading Guide

Hello PR community,
since i released alot of tuts for "tanking" i would like to give my part for the infantry. This will be the basic thread for my Tactics guides of the infantry. Basically maybe things i write down already here or known but i will post them for new gamers etc... Like always the main thing of these tactics are that i will write down the things i noted, found out etc... So lets start with my new tutorial.

Squad Leader´s must be!
The things every SquadLeader should do/know

Ok these are the basic things every squad leader should do/know. They are the real must be and without these basic informations/knowledege you shouldnt be a SquadLeader.

Basic knowledge:

This is a very important thing at PR the Squad Leader should know what he is doing and what he is using.
Here are the things where i think that these are the most important knowledge.

- You need 2 other people inside your Squad to set a rally point.
- Rally Points can be only set while you are using the Officer Kit.
- You need 2 other Squad Members beside you to set the rally point.
- You should think very tactical. You should be the first who know what to do not the enemy.
- Never waste any kits.
- Always have 1 or 2 medics in your squad.
- Always wear your Officer Kit never use any other! (Why??? will be explained later.)

Basic things to do:
- Always set a Rally Point because you need a Spawn point in PR 0.7
- Since you are not allowed to spawn at the SL anymore you should fight with your other soilders and give them orders.
- Never get a Crewman kit or something its useless for the SL! You just waste the APC/Tank!
- Always hide till the moment you will attack. Thats much more effective than rushing in without any direction.
- If you dont know English you should NOT be the SL when you have english speaking inside...
- The Squad should always stay together... lonely wolfs should be kicked after maybe one warning. PR is a teamplay mod not a Karkand shit server.

Well that were the basic things but now back to this one:
- Always wear your Officer Kit never use any other! (Why??? will be explained later.)

I know how you think probably now something like: "Omfg im the uber pwnzor Rambo Karkand shithead and i want the Support kit!"
FUCKING WRONG YOU WANT THE OFFICER KIT! Easy thing... When you still alive but an enemy downs your rally point while you dont secured the area you need a new one... Thats why you always should wear the Officer kit. And one more important thing is:

You got the SOFLAM you can request Aera attacks (JDam) which can be extremly usefull in some situations.

Second thing is: Lets say you want to clear a bunger or something... You got Flashbangs use them and clear the bunker.

If you just use the officer kit to set a rally point you never should play than a Squadleader! Because than you are the most worst SL ever!

Well these are the Basic things i hope... If anyone of you know more please write it down into this thread or write a PM to me.

Squad movement/tactics
How the Squad should work.

Like always here are some tactics and movement things.

Before you start your movement make sure everyone know what to do, or you will be downed before anyone know what is going on.
like always non-mature players should be kicked without any warnings. You need a good working squad. Not a god damn crying kid! (Angry German kid *lol*)

When iam leading a Squad i like to use the follow tactic which were very sucessfull till today.

Sqaud:
Me: Officer Kit
1: Medic
2: Medic
3: Rifleman (with ammo)
4: Automatic Support
5: Someone with mines or Heavy/Light AT (if nesscecary)/ Grenadier kit. (Grenade and Smoke launcher)

Why 2 medics? When you are in a heavy fight they can revive you and heal you quicker than one medic which can be very usefull. Ammo can be earned after the fight but medics are more important inside a fight. Since the SL spawn is gone you need medics arround for some security. But i think every SL should find their own at this. I cann just recommend it.

Movement:
All right behind or at the SL... Just joking!

Thats again a very sucessfull movement i use very often. Beside running arround without any direction. The Squad should move like a line.

10-15 metres between each soilder. Thats really nice when enemys right in front of you!
One nade: Only one is down. All at the same place: All down! Can you see the different?

Who is where is the SL decision but i always run in the middle and beside me one Medic and the Automatic Supporter. Really sucessfull when you found a enemy rally point and you want to destroy them. But basically each SL have to find his own inidividual tactic. I just want to give some examples with this.

But never forget:
Everyone at the same place = The enemy with a nade will be thankfull

Attack phase
The attack phase

Ok the attack phase is the normal thing inside PR but if you do a good work your enemys will hate you like hell.

Basically you should read the Tactic/formation part before you start to read this.

The attack phase of PR can take only 1 second or few minutes! It depends how good your squad is working together.
For a good working attack phase you will need a good squad which is doing what you say. There can be alot of tactics but i think everyone got his own. I just want to give some ideas about that.
Lets think you followed my formation idea and you have a line. Your Squad should flank them. BUt you have to reformat your squad. The Automatic Support guys should be at the end of the line (left or right). They will take the enemy squad under heavy fire. Your both medics should have a very secure position because mostly they are the most important guys at these moments. Once you die he will revive you, but listen: Run to a safe position behind a rock or something. Its much more secure and he can heal you over there. While your Support gunner got them under heavy fire you can push them back till you in a perfect position for a final strike. One more thing:

You got Smoke and Flashbangs... use them! The most important thing is hide behind something... A tree, rocks or whatever but you should try to stay at a safe position.

That tactic is just an example there are 100 of others and i just wanted to give a little example how a good working squad could do this.
(More for attacking formation/tactic is coming soon as possible.)

I hope you guys enjoyed my little thread... Please leave an comment.

More coming soon.

Thanks,
Chris[EEF]

Next upcoming things:
Hiding!
defending!

Updates:
- Attack tactic/formation added. (11.01.200
Last edited by CodeC.Seven; 2008-01-11 at 20:23..
Old 2008-01-11, 11:46   #2
CodeC.Seven

Placeholder #1

For upcoming tactics
CodeC.Seven is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 04:05   #3
Pain
Banned

I think this way isnt the right way in 80% of playing.

First of all is your formation, its an open field formation which works in open field or woody area. If you force your mates to run trough urban area with 15m space between them, they are not going to live long.

I mean if youre under fire your team should automaticly form a line, hit the dirt and supress the enemy asap to get some guys to flank or aim on.

You have to splitt the team at begin of the round and give them order to stick every time with their fireteam mates.

For moving in urban area you need normaly a 2x3 team wich covering each other over cross in visual range.
The fireteam mates need to stick close to each other (1 nade range!!) and cover their current position 360°.

The advantage is that youre always covered till moving. Important is that you and your squadmembers REPORT ALL TARGETS OVER VOIP before engaging.

If you get into a firefight you can give orders to your 2 teams to supress, flank, retreat or advance. If the enemy is located 1 team need to find cover to supress the enemy and cover the advance of the 2nd team.

In special situations you can assign special teams in your squad to take some jobs:

- spotter team (snip spec)
- cover team (rifle scope + m249)
- stationary cover (1 man apc as mobile stationary infantry support cannon)
etc etc

I think a Squad should have:

- Squad leader
- Medic
- Automatic rifleman (ammo + supressing)
- light AT
- Grenadier
- Pionier/Marksman/Crewman/2nd Medic on Situation

By crossing open area i often let a cover team behind to cover the whole team moving accross area and then they close up covered by the others.
This takes some time but you may not walk same way 2 times.

You see a SL should decide depends the situation and not force any tactics which are not good in some situations.
So the only thing what a good squad leader do is just:

- give clear orders
- get your mates together
- place spawns
- coordinate actions with comm or other squads
- decide tactics depends on the current situation around you

sry about my english

p.s. if you want flashbang a room to rush it, better you use a nade (same range like flash but deadly) --> if hes close enough to blind after flash he died by frag (needs to be fixed in 0.8 )
Last edited by Pain; 2008-01-19 at 04:29..

Tags
codecseven´s, guide, leading, squad