project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2006-01-20, 08:17   #1
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

Default 3 point slings

i know this is an eye candy isue but does any one else think that when you holster your rifle where does it go? seeing as it has no sling the guy must throw it on the floor.
I would love to see slings added it would be cool.

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 09:35   #2
dawdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitperson
i know this is an eye candy isue but does any one else think that when you holster your rifle where does it go? seeing as it has no sling the guy must throw it on the floor.
I would love to see slings added it would be cool.
In the perfect world, every last one of your weapons would be on the model and dynamically get moved/removed
dawdler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 13:29   #3
TerribleOne

Because the game scenes are so vast and the player and vehicle counts very large also cuts we made for BF2.
Example:
In CSS or many other FPS game you will see your weapon on the floor if you drop it and it interacts with the world.
In BF2 you can not drop individual weapons, only kits. Kits viewed as a very simple (And low poly) bag.
CSS etc uses much smaller maps so it can concentrate the detail and use much higher poly surroundings and objects.
If BF2 was kitted up with the same dense triangle surroundings alike of CSS but with huge maps and lots of vehicles and players it would be unplayable or the dredded 'fog' would be increased to counter it so much that it would be like walking in a bubble.

Because if you are wondering the only reason the 'fog' exists is because that is the detailed render limit. If the fog could be fully removed the game WOULD be unplayable due to massive lag.

For example weapons and skins etc found at CDG:
http://www.cdg.net/forums/index.php?c=3

check in the WIP forum and Source Release Section.

You will find some super detailed models and textures which work really well in smaller games like CSS that the forum is mostly aimed at. But none of them could be used as a BF2 Weapon because they are simply too dense.

I went on a bit there but basically what i'm saying is that little detailed pieces of quality you might see in other games simply are not possible if you want to keep the large multiplayer games you are all used too...
Last edited by TerribleOne; 2006-01-20 at 13:45..
Old 2006-01-20, 15:45   #4
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

my meaning was that in real life you have a weapon sling but in bf2 to change weapn you have no where to put your rifle a sling would be a nice addition.

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 17:52   #5
dawdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleOne
You will find some super detailed models and textures which work really well in smaller games like CSS that the forum is mostly aimed at. But none of them could be used as a BF2 Weapon because they are simply too dense.
You make a very good point for the fact that BF2 *IS* that detailed due to a very well rounded LOD system. Even old BF1942 didnt really have any problems with a 25,000 polygon weapon model (I tested long ago). The key here is of course the fact that the 1st person model isnt the 3rd person model. You can have 3000 polygons in 1st person and 300 in 3rd person (which would be the highest detail LOD, LOD 4-5 can be like 20 polygons).

Having the rifle, pistol, grenades and possible other things on the high poly soldier mesh wouldnt really add that much in comparison.

Edit: Especially since the only real additions would be one time use weapons, such as grenades. If you carry a rifle, holster it to pull up your pistol, you dont really add much polygons do you? You just shifted it around a little, hehe.
Last edited by dawdler; 2006-01-20 at 18:07..
Old 2006-01-20, 22:35   #6
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Operation Flashpoint didnt seem to have problems having EVERY soldier sling his weapon / AT weapon, and you could fit 100+ characters and vehicles in a battle at once.

Yes I agree, dynamically moving/removing the weapon would be awesome. But I doubt would be an easy task. The main thing though, is that it actually takes TIME to put that grenade back and unsling and ready your weapon. In BF2 you can change weapons at lightning speed. Realistic? No.

Something even more complicated but really sweet, would be character models actually have to pull out the new mag from their LBV/Chest rig. And drop their old mag.

Now that would be very nice. When out of mags you should throw your last empty mag towards the enemy
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 22:50   #7
dawdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]fuzzhead
Something even more complicated but really sweet, would be character models actually have to pull out the new mag from their LBV/Chest rig. And drop their old mag.
They do... Well in 3rd person anyway (without a clip model). In 1st person, you dont even HAVE a chest
dawdler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 23:23   #8
Happy
Retired PR Developer

I know there is a knife holding thingy on people's legs.

Proud Killer of 38 Spambots.

After much intense calculation, it has been decided that your thread is already in the forum that you wish to move it to. Deep Thought should be jealous. - Moderator Control Panel
Happy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 23:40   #9
beta

They don't really take the mags out of the LBV, it's just kinda the general area, same for each mag too, kind of a lot to ask to have each LBV pouch get emptied though ...
beta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 23:49   #10
Tom#13

and maybe you could take an I Pod out of one and start listening to some bangin tunes lol
Tom#13 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
point, slings