project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-23, 02:44   #1
Terror_Terror_Terror
Default [Map] Darunta Dam (4km) [WIP]

Hello,

This is the map formerly known as Kheyrow Khel but I thought as I was gonna make an update I might as well start a new one with the correct name (Can I delete the old one or does that need to be done by an admin?)

So anyway I thought I'd include some of the old pictures in the post and add some new ones too.

As well as some new photo's I've updated the vehicle list (still provisional) and made a rough flag layout, remember that it's 4k and there's a fair trek in between flags.

Darunta Dam by Terror_Terror_Terror & GhostDance101:

Map Briefing: British intelligence has observed MEC forces advancing towards the key infrastructural asset the Darunta Hydroelectric Dam that not only provides electricity to near by Jalalabad but to much of the Nangarhar province. A British rapid reaction force has been sent to intercept the MEC advance and maintain control of this key regional asset.

4km map

Game Mode: AAS

MEC vs GB (provisional)

Vehicles: (provisional - updated)

- (MEC) 2 x T-90, 2 x BMP3, 10 x Vodnik, 4 x Supply Truck, 1 Eurocopter.

- (GB) 2 x Scimitar, 6 x Land Rover, 3 x Trucks, 6 x Boat, 1 Merlin, 1 Apache.

Terrain - Mountains, Dunes, Farm land, Town.

Background
Darunta, Afghanistan, is the site of the Darunta dam hydroelectric power station that provides electricity to Jalalabad and the surrounding districts. It was also the site of several terrorist training camps ( more here).

This is the 4km area we plan to do.

Darunta

New Pics

Minimap (WIP)
There is still a great deal of work to be done on both the terrain, colour map, low detail textures and all that jazz but this is where we are.

So far I've been working on the town in a separate map with a satellite image colour map on a flat plane to make fitting houses easier and to get a realistic layout (that place is pretty dense and hickledy-pickledy!). The general topography of the town is a slight incline towards the dam and adjustments will be made when the objects are transplanted into the proper map.

Baring in mind I've placed just under half the houses in that one part of the map so far we're a little concerned about the demands of so many destructible objects. I am trying to mix them up with standard statics but the Afghan houses really do fit the purpose best. With regards to lightmapping and also graphics card demands in-game (or anything else for that matter) if anyone has any advice or insight it's more than welcome.

Ghost is also making a replica of the real dam that we hope will add a lot to the realism and at least give a bit of genuine charecter

Provisional Flag Layout (inc. starting flags)
GB Capping Order: The two either side of the dam would be capable simultaneously, then the town (with a large control point), then the two upper MEC and finally the bottom MEC flag. (MEC is the same but in reverse)

Well I think that's all for now, any comments and feedback, as ever are more than welcome.

All the best,

Terror
Last edited by Terror_Terror_Terror; 2008-06-23 at 02:56..
Old 2008-06-23, 02:54   #2
EOD_Security-2252
Default Re: [Map] Darunta Dam [WIP]

Well, I know someone's (this is not using 3rd person) gonna be happy about a British Desert Map.

Looks good though.
Old 2008-06-23, 03:05   #3
Terror_Terror_Terror

It's not really exclusively a desert map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Terror_Terror View Post
Terrain - Mountains, Dunes, Farm land, Town.
We picked this area for it's varied terrain and we hope it will all come into play at some point.
Old 2008-06-23, 03:16   #4
charliegrs

looks good so far, especially the town, but do you really think its realistic to have tanks on this map? i always heard its really hard to get tanks into afghanistan, and the terrain is really bad for them. the soviets had a really hard time with them there. and im not 100 percent sure but i think the US doesnt have any tanks in afghanistan. i mean its jsut my opinion, your the map maker you can do whatever you like, i jsut always thought apcs and jeeps were more realistic on an afghan map than tanks.
Old 2008-06-23, 03:31   #5
Ironcomatose

Im amazed by how real it looks compared to the real thing(layout wise). Awesome work.

IMO its to early to really say anything about it but i can say, dont get attached to the map the way it is. If there is one thing i learned from watching mappers work, its that there is always big changes to be made.
Old 2008-06-23, 03:34   #6
[uBp]Irish

needs more tanks.
Old 2008-06-23, 03:36   #7
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Agreed, layout looks great you've managed to make it look really realistic.

Old 2008-06-23, 03:38   #8
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

wait a minute, you are going to have a Afghanistan based map that is at the moment heavily under siege by Taliban Forces a British vs MEC map?

I'm sorry but that is just gey tbh...

When it would be very realistic to have this map as a British vs Insurgents (/Taliban) map, with using the scenario game mode for quite a good setup with both sides having objectives you could make a very unique and realistic map, even if very hard to balance and enjoyable, but you want to go with anouther AAS map with it just being based around a dam that happens to be in Afghanistan?

anyways on the map side of thing, your minimap is looking quite good with the mountains to the west, thou your mountains to the east without a good texture look rather dull..

Your terrain to the south looks like its going to be needing lots of work still, but ehhh your WIP pics of your village look ehhh, really bad for the most part... its just a load of buildings thrown together with not much thought put into them, using all types of statics which dont match or work together etc... buildings so cramped together without a purpose look really bad...

as for your new dam, can we get a clay render?

Old 2008-06-23, 03:51   #9
Ironcomatose

@ Rhino, if you look at the town in the real pic you will notice that the real town is not exactly neat either. I think with a little more thought but keeping the same feel, it will provide a unique style of combat not found anywhere else in PR.

Also Afghanistan is right next to Iran, so if this fictional conflict ever broke out, who knows who would be there.
Old 2008-06-23, 04:36   #10
space
Banned

I like some parts - but overall I would sit down and really think through a few things, because as it is I can see you hitting problems later.

1. Theres already going to be 2-3 high quality afghan map, plus Jabal which is similar in some ways.

2. Is it worth spending time modelling a new dam when theres 2 dam models already available and the time spent modelling a new one could be spent on other statics ( plus no doubt saving alot of space in the level download size )

3. Transplanting the town on to an incline will cause you serious problems - stick to flat areas for buildings

4. How will you paint the texture and colour? I take it the present minimap is just the google earth pic - If your planning to use t-paint its gonna look alot different, and good luck hand painting 3 sq km of small crop fields.

5. Youre going to need ALOT of waterplanes.

6. I dont get the vehicle distribution at all - eg UK - 6 boats!?

7. As Rhino mentioned - MEC in afghanistan?

I dont mean to sound negative - thats just some of the things that crossed my mind in addition to what others mentioned.
I like the town layout, just remove the city and shack statics.
I think that a good scenario that you could probably adapt this to, would be to base it in Iran and drop the dam idea. You could make it based around an attack on the nuclear reactors theyre building.
Closed Thread

Tags
4km, dam, darunta, map, wip