project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-29, 18:04   #1
SHAz_181
Default CQB/Special Forces gamemodes?

Ok, guys, it's time for another one of Shaz' poorly though-out ideas again!

I've always wanted to see something like this, one side is terrorists or whatever, the other side is some Special forces branch like the SAS or SEALS. The player ratio would be 2:1, maybe even 3:1 (SF with least players), but the SF's weapons would be more accurate , quicker draw etc. easier to use in whatever way but not so much that it completely ruins the balance. With the SF's superior (simulated) skill, and the Terrorists' superior numbers, I think it'd be pretty balanced. Damage would be kept the same as the default weapons. This would just to be to simulate the SF's superior training, but they'd use the MP5 and P226 (SAS) which are small-caliber weapons, while the Terrorists would use cheap, mass-produced, readily available weapons like the AK-47 and G3. Other weapons like the Skorpion, MAC-10, Makarov and Glock would also be available to them.

The gameplay would be on small maps, perhaps an apartment block or something, and the SF would have several tools such as breaching charges and explosives. There would be no flags, no respawns and no medics. The timelimit would also have to be small, so the dead players don't get frustrated and bored.
(At this point I'm thinking it's beggining to sound like CS)
I'm thinking mostly along the lines of hostage rescue, but there could also be just general 'kill everything' missions.

With the wall-destruction system that PR has, I was thinking the buildings could have walls that have several holes ready to be blown out of them (Because we all know that they can't be destroyed dynamically). Now I'm not sure about this part because I don't know how the BF2 engine really works. Doors would have to be destructible AND openable. I know that the SF expansion pack has a trigger system in place but it's not like every other FPS where you press 'use' on a door and you open it. The way BF works is that it seems to just detect a player on a trigger and then it triggers it.

Anyway, the SF would be able to use several methods of entry, such as breaching charges, frame charges (For the previously mentioned walls, they'd be like C4 in that you stick them to the wall), wire cutters (For fences), and window breaching.

Grappling hooks would also be available to the SF. I'm thinking they all start on the ground but have several spawns to choose from. Maybe one could be on the roof, and even maybe have a helicopter insertion available(Too bad there isn't fast-roping).

Well, I might expand on this idea a bit more, this is just a hastily compiled post, just typing whatever I thought.
Old 2008-12-29, 18:30   #2
gclark03

Default Re: CQB/Special Forces gamemodes?

Scenario.
Old 2008-12-29, 19:06   #3
arjan

Special forces wouldnt use mp5's anyway, i think m4a1's are common i think?
Old 2008-12-29, 19:27   #4
$kelet0r

Special Forces will never be in PR (aside from the fast rounds in scenario) because you could only have one spawn and no more for it to be realistic. And the voices who demand so often that their favourite three letter combination paramilitary force be included would never play Project Reality as a result.
Old 2008-12-29, 19:37   #5
SHAz_181

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjan View Post
Special forces wouldnt use mp5's anyway, i think m4a1's are common i think?
In hostage situations (In the Iranian Embassy crisis at least) the SAS use MP5s because they're 9mm, and have much less chance of actually exiting the target's body and hitting what's behind him. However, it is a disadvantage if they come up against guys wearing BPV's, but they'll generally aim for the head anyway.
Old 2008-12-29, 19:38   #6
Bob_Marley
Retired PR Developer

This has been suggested countless times before. There is already a CQB mod for BF2, and many other game engines that handle close quaters combat much better.

Also, there are alot of new assets you're suggesting, which means lots of new work. Which is less than desireable.

Locked for resuggestion.

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
Closed Thread

Tags
cqb or special, forces, gamemodes