project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2008-12-30, 21:02   #1
Sample246
Default The different ranges of the weapons

I found myself in a crap-tastic situation yesterday. I'm no PR vet by any stretch of the imagination, but I play from time to time. I found myself in a medium/long range gun fight with an enemy in one of the desert maps (forgot which). We were both on two different mountains. I was equipped with the ACOG scope. If I'm not mistaken, there is bullet drop in the game right? I couldn't hit the guy for the life of me. I waited about 3 seconds in between each shot to ensure my stability was maxed. It seemed the enemy was having the same trouble as I was as this gunfight lasted a good solid minute of neither of us moving, just taking shots at each other. I tried aiming above his head more and more, and just couldn't hit him.

Basically my question is what are the ranges of the weapons and am I correct in assuming there is bullet drop? Surely I'm not expected to memorize a bunch of different numbers because there's a LOT of weapons in this game, and I need to be able to react quickly. How do I measure how much above someone's head I am supposed to aim if the range is too great?
Sample246 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 21:13   #2
Jigsaw

Default Re: The different ranges of the weapons

With a scoped rifle, you are unlikely to hit anything beyond 300m no matter how well you space your shots or compensate for bullet drop.

The truly effective range for a scoped rifle is around 200-250m max and this varies between weapons too with the MEC G3 being more effective at range as it has greater stopping power than an M16 for instance.

As for bullet drop im not aware of any bullet drop for any weapon other than sniper rifles, just deviation.
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 21:16   #3
Sample246

I see. How might I measure the range of an enemy if I don't have the proper equipment or attack commands?
Old 2008-12-30, 21:37   #4
ostupidman
Supporting Member

From what i understand all the weapons do have "bullet drop" but not till their "sighted in range" assault rifles is what something like 400m? So in game the bullet flies completely straight till it gets to that point then you have to compensate. With current deviation its not surprising you couldn't hit the enemy. You can settle for 10 minutes and still miss because of the randomness. Next version is supposed to be more accurate after settling sufficiently.

If brute force doesn't work.......your not using enough of it.
ostupidman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 22:00   #5
Jigsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample246 View Post
I see. How might I measure the range of an enemy if I don't have the proper equipment or attack commands?
Experience, pretty much. After playing a while you should be able to estimate fairly accurately.

As a guide name tags on friendlies disappear after 50m. You can run 100m over flat terrain with 1 full bar of stamina etc etc
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 05:17   #6
Sample246

Wow, I can't believe it. Today just made me throw up my hands in disgust. I couldn't hit ANYBODY! I swear, one guy must've been 20 yards from me, MAX, with my reticule on him (I was US Army Medic with the standard scope) and I couldn't hit him for crap. He takes one shot at me and DEAD. I like learning how to play games, and getting better at them, but this is seems like it took the realistic-ness and made it UNrealistically difficult. I know in real life I could've made that shot no sweat. Why should the trained soldiers in this game have the shooting ability of a 12 year old girl? It's just not fun.
Old 2008-12-31, 05:32   #7
Psyko

This is an ongoing subject. The deviation in the next version is much more reliable imo.

@ Sample...Every version is different, this is a Project, and each version is like another experiment in the project. Unfortunatly in the current version the deviation is less than perfect, but it was damn near close. next version (0.850) will be coming out real soon, so chill and wait for it. as allways it brings remarkable improvements.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 21:03   #8
Guardian[]B()b
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample246 View Post
Wow, I can't believe it. Today just made me throw up my hands in disgust. I couldn't hit ANYBODY! I swear, one guy must've been 20 yards from me, MAX, with my reticule on him
I have more times like that than not, drives me nutz sometimes too. Then there are times it all goes my way. Recently I got 2 close quarters head shots on the same map - shooting from the hip ! and one of them I was strafing left and the enemy was prone with just his head sticking up over the dune. Doesn't make sense but the engine is limiting and Devs do all they can with it.
Guardian[]B()b is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 06:24   #9
Sample246

I guess it's a bit unfair of me to complain when I'm getting all this for free. I apologize. I suppose as my own constructive criticism, I feel it would be very necessary to cut down on the aiming difficulty. I understand how we're going for realism here, and realistically, you can't blast from the hip and get headshots all the time. But I feel the little slider bar (metaphorically of course) has kinda been pushed TOO far to the other side here, to the point of these soldiers seeming as if they've never touched a rifle in their life. I have to say though, other than the actual combat itself, the mod is a gigantic orgy of fun. The total reliance on team play and mature community (for the most part) and that greater sense of "I must stay alive." Gotta say thanks to the developers for the awesome job they did here. I just sorely hope that in v.85, the close quarters combat aiming will be toned down a bit.
Old 2009-01-01, 08:53   #10
Colonelcool125

^Why can't everyone be like you?

Colonelcool125 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ranges, weapons